starting strength gym
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's youngish-old-guy Intermediate Training Log, v1.0

Default Geoff's youngish-old-guy Intermediate Training Log, v1.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My LP can be found here: Young "master" novice log.

Some recent stats, from LP to present:

Age 40
    Weight 193>213
    Height: 71"
    Waist circ 36>38

Squat: Was 285x5, 350x1. LP: 370x5, 375x2, ?x1
    Press: Was 145x5, 190x1. LP: 175x5, 185x3, ?x1
    Bench: Was 245x5, 300x1. LP: 279x5, 290x3, ?x1
    Dead: Was 345x5, 395x2. LP: 411x5, 435x1

As of this posting, I don't know which intermediate track I'm going to take. I had thought a fairly vanilla Texas Method, adjusted in volume for my age. However I now think I may do the 4-day split. I've got some time to decide: I begin on 24 September.

What is first, though, is a "pivot week" which will amount to a deload. My plan is to work heavy singles to allow my beat-up, hurting body some volume recovery without slacking the intensity. So, similar to Alan Thrall's "high intensity, low volume" model of a systemic deload. My body needs the volume break; if you read my LP you'll see this is the truth.

An additional piece of information: I'm signed up for the SS Fall Classic in Tempe, Arizona in late October. I don't know what that will mean for my training; we'll see what coach says. Ultimately the meet is less important than progression: It's my first meet, and I'd like some PRs and to get my "feet wet" on competition, little more than that. Like Reynolds says, roughly, "Not even your mom cares if you win. Go 9 for 9, hit PRs."

Last piece of information: I have my for-record APFT on 14 October; I need to pass. I'm a commissioned officer, and we're expected to do really well on the APFT, but I'm in an academic billet right now, so this test will not impact promotion in terms of "acing" it. So I'm just gonna go and give an okay performance, and concentrate primarily on strength training. "Okay" performance probably means 260/300 for me (100% pushups, 80% situps, 80% run). This will still place me in the upper quartile of my in-specialty peers, and the upper third of my in-battalion peers.

My pivot week plan:
    Monday, 17 Sep: Work presses up to a heavy single which is close to a 1RM
    Tuesday, 18 Sep: Same, but squat.
    Thursday, 20 Sep: Same, but bench.
    Friday, 21 Sep: Same, but deadlift.

Welcome Geoff. It will be interesting to see how you do on the APFT and learn how you react to the fall classic in which I participate as well.

Oh cool, you're doing Fall Classic? Which city?

Chicago. This will be my fourth year. I hope to actually do some Squats with a straight bar. We will see. What are your goals for the lifts?

Don't have concrete goals yet; the primary goal is just to go 9 for 9 I think, and if possible set PRs in all three lifts.

If I had to do it right now, and it was in lbs instead of kilos, I'd try to hit: Squat 385, Press 195, Deadlift 445. Those would represent a 10/5/10 lb PR respectively. But I hope to make more progress between now and October!

Bought my singlet yesterday; it will be interesting to lift weights in what looks like weird underwear.

Weird underwear to be sure. Outside of the competition I feel self conscious when I put them on. In competition I think nothing of it since all are wearing them.

My top goals are Squat...just do them with a straight bar. Press: 125; DL: 385. I'm no spring chicken.

Awesome, brother. I know low-bar has been an aim of yours for a long time, too. Here's hoping for a good total for ya!

You both are going to nail your meets!

Pivot Week Day 1: PRESS

Worked singles up. Previous PR: 190. Today:
    195x1

200x1

205x1

210x1

A good day. Blew the rims off my old PR. Video of 205: YouTube Video of 210: YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Pivot Week Day 2: SQUAT

Worked singles up. Previous PR: 375. Today:
    380x1

385x0

Good day, since I got a PR. Video of the fail at 385 makes me mad: I was a pussy. I quit the rep without giving it sufficient grind. But I'll come back at it eventually. Video of success at 380: YouTube

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast