starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    11/5/2018

Power Clean to Front Squat - 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x2 (Fail)

At the last rep of the last set, the bar hit my belt on the way up (I was wearing my belt for the front squat portion). So the last rep was basically just a clean high pull.

Was supposed to deadlift but was too exhausted. Going to make it up Thursday.
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 11-07-2018 at 10:27 AM.

11/6/2018

Press - 155x3x3
    CGBP - 155x8x3

~45 minutes
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 11-07-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Great work on sticking with it despite a tough schedule. I'm interested in this program that you and Cody have worked out. Keep it up!
    Question: how specifically did you lose tightness on your last set of squats on 11.02? Asking because the concept of even getting tight in a squat is tough for me/the root of my squat woes.

Thanks for the support, j.r.

Quote Originally Posted by j.r. View Post
    how specifically did you lose tightness on your last set of squats on 11.02?
    I think because I'm just not used to sets of 5+ on squats, and I was tired, and I was rushing to get the workout over. It's hard to keep tightness at the bottom, but it is what makes it easier to get back up. Basically I went too deep and couldn't get back out of the hole.

Default Back at it

Feeling the urge to log here again. Figured I'd just revive this old log rather than start yet another one.

Restarted LP in March this year after injuring my shoulder trying to prep for the WFAC Strengthlifting Classic last year. Layoff was probably unnecessary but oh well.

Progress:
    Squat: 125x5x3 ---> 315x5x3
    Press: 75x5x3 ---> 145x5x3
    Deadlift: 185x5 ---> 350x5
    Bench Press: 95x5x3 ---> 195x5x3
    Power Clean: 135x3x5 ---> 180x3x5

Program is still just LP based.

Default Sunday, June 20, 2021

Squat
    320x0 (failed first rep)
    275x5x3

Press
    147x5x2

Was on vacation in Florida for a week. Drank lots of beer on the beach. Tried to eat enough protein but didn't really track it too hard, just added in two whey shakes a day.

First squat rep didn't want to cooperate so I figured I'd just back off a bit and rebuild slowly. Will add 10 lbs next workout.

Presses were easy but after the second set I got extremely nauseated so decided to stop. Thinking vacation led to some detraining and dehydration. Going to get my diet back in order, drink plenty of water, and hit Squat, Bench, and Deadlift hard next workout.

Default Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Squat
    285x5x3

Bench Press
    200x5x3

Deadlift
    355x1 (thanks to Andrew Lewis!)

Deadlift was supposed to be 5. I ended up with horrible gas pains every time I went to bend over. Made getting tight very difficult. First time trying to pull the thing didn't want to move, but then I used Andrew Lewis' suggestion of pulling for at least 5 seconds, and the bar went up. A win, I suppose, even if only for 1 rep, but very frustrating. Guess I should have tried 4 more, but between that 1 rep being a grinder and the gas pain, I pretty much gave up. Next time for sure.

More nausea during the second lift. Not really sure what's going on here as I've been drinking tons of water to stave off any dehydration. I'm thinking I've just pushed myself a little too hard after a week off. Oh well, as long as I'm making the lifts I guess I can't really say I need to make any changes.

Next workout will repeat the Press numbers from Sunday since I technically didn't do all the sets. Squat will be 10+ lbs since these weren't too bad, and I want to get back to the progress I was making before. Will deload the deadlift a little and try again next time, and probably only alternate with cleans for a few weeks (i.e., no chins for a while).

Also, next time I am going to try Rip's recommendation of warming up for the next lift while resting between sets. Going to be tough because I only have one bar so will have to remove all weights, but my workouts have gotten quite long. In a few weeks I'll be moving further from work and will need my lifting sessions to be much shorter. Eventually a 4 day split will probably be necessary (even as a novice), but this is an easy, non-programming change I can implement next time.
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 06-23-2021 at 07:00 AM.

Default Thursday, June 24, 2021

Squat
    295x5
    295x1 (paused squat of death)
    295x1

Well fuck. Got the first squat set with some effort, but the next two sets just didn't want to move. Tried to Press 147 lbs and the first rep wouldn't go up. Didn't bother pulling.

Not a good week. I think I pushed myself too hard and too fast coming back after a 10 day layoff. On top of that, I'm dealing with getting ready to move, and I think that stress is wearing on me more than I've realized.

Anyway, I've been here before, where things just stop progressing when they shouldn't. Bad workout / bad week. Given what's happened and the fact that I have a lot more stress coming my way in the next few weeks, I've decided to just cut the weights way back to give myself some breathing room. The goal here is to get back to just doing the work while focusing on technique (will re-read the blue book during this time) and to maintain consistency.

Going to take 20% off the squat and then move all the other lifts back to where they were around the time I was squatting that weight. Referring to my log, the weights look like this:

Squat: 235 lbs
    Press: 115 lbs
    Deadlift: 325 lbs (going to do 315 - a 10% cut from last attempt)
    Bench Press: 145 lbs
    Power Clean: 155 lbs

Baby weight for sure, but the goal is to slowly get back on track while making it through this upcoming stressful time and recovering from this shitty week.
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 06-25-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Default Sunday, June 27, 2021

Squat
    235x5x3

Press
    115x5x3

Deadlift
    315x5

Easy, as expected. A little embarrassing to be back here, but it's about the habit at this point.

Tried Rip's recommendation for doing warm ups between work sets. Didn't really work for me as I have to strip all the weights off the bar. Not a big deal but I can see how this could get much more difficult at higher weights. I can see how it'd be great if I had two racks, two bars, and two sets of weights.

Thinking I need to gain about 10 lbs as I approach 300 lb squat this time.

Default Tuesday, June 29, 2021

starting strength coach development program
    Squat
    45x10
    95x5
    140x3
    190x2
    240x5x3

Bench Press
    45x10
    70x5
    100x3
    130x2
    145x5x3

Power Clean
    155x3x5

Pretty good session. Still feels a little too easy. Must be patient. Will be in the new house in about 3 weeks.

Squats looked good on video, maybe a tad bit of knee slide at the bottom. Heels seem to be coming off the floor as I get into the hole.

Bench was really tough on the shoulder, then I realized I wasn’t taking a valsalva before starting. Made it much easier. Imagine!
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 06-30-2021 at 07:35 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast