starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric's Log

Default Eric's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Starting a new log here as a situational intermediate. I am no longer DTFP as a novice because as much as I believe it is the most appropriate thing at my level of training, it is just not that high of a priority to me to continue squeezing out novice gains. I have many other things going on right now that take up a lot of my time and energy, but I want to continue training for the sake of my health and preserving the strength gain progress I've made so far.

My coach, Cody Annino, has been very helpful and supportive of making this transition. I am going to continue to follow the basic Starting Strength / PPST principles when setting up programming.

The ultimate goal of this change, for now, is to just maintain the habit of training consistently. As such this will be a pretty minimalist program. The template is One Lift Per Day plus assistance work / back off sets to get in volume. Work sets will be primarily ascending sets to minimize rest time and overall workout time.
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 10-31-2018 at 07:22 AM.

10/29/2018

Power Cleans - 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 155x3, 170x3
    Deadlift - 300x5

Got done in about 45 minutes. Just the kind of time frame I need.

10/30/2018

Press - 65x5, 100x5, 115x5, 130x5, 147x5, 115x10
    CGBP - 115x12x3

Time: ~60 min

What's your weekly program like now, Eric?

Quote Originally Posted by Espen Lund View Post
    What's your weekly program like now, Eric?
    A 4 day split, taking after the One Lift Per Day model. Basically each day is one of the four lifts followed by some assistance work.

11/1/2018

Squat - 135x5, 175x5, 200x5, 225x5, 255x5, 200x8 (failed)

Back off set was supposed to be a set of ten, but I got loose on the 8th rep and got pinned. So rep eight ended up being a pause squat of death.

11/2/2018

Bench Press - 135x5, 150x5, 165x5, 185x5, 210x5, 165x10
    Seated Press - 65x12x3

First time doing seated press. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    A 4 day split, taking after the One Lift Per Day model. Basically each day is one of the four lifts followed by some assistance work.
    Interesting. What's the idea behind the work sets? Looks like you're building up to only one top set followed by a high rep back of set on each lift. Is this enough work (compared to the 5x5)?

Quote Originally Posted by Espen Lund View Post
    Interesting. What's the idea behind the work sets? Looks like you're building up to only one top set followed by a high rep back of set on each lift. Is this enough work (compared to the 5x5)?
    Yes, we are trying ascending sets in order to keep the session time down. The intensity is a little lower on each set but the volume is still fairly high.

I have concerns too that it is not enough. But we are taking a bare minimum approach right now. If it’s not effective, we will titrate in more. But with my current schedule, I am at a threshold of just not training at all.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Yes, we are trying ascending sets in order to keep the session time down. The intensity is a little lower on each set but the volume is still fairly high.

I have concerns too that it is not enough. But we are taking a bare minimum approach right now. If it’s not effective, we will titrate in more. But with my current schedule, I am at a threshold of just not training at all.
    I feel you, I'm at the same spot myself right now. I have a real love/hate relationship with my training atm. Timing my sets really helps me keeping the time down. It is so easy to suddenly rest 10 min if you're sitting in your own thoughts. So at least have the timer running, you know when you've probably rested too long. 4-6 min on squats and deads, and 3-5 min on bench and press (all depends on how heavy of course) is usually a good indicator for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast