starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: To Beef or not To Beef

02/12/2019

Bench: 120x8, 145x6, 167.5x4, 192.5x3, 205x1x2
    Beltless deadlift: 230x1x10 EMOM
    Chin-ups: 3,2,2

Notes:

I was supposed to do a heavy squat 5x5 last night, but weather got in the way. It's a winter wonderland here in Iowa, folks. My excuse for today was that my lower back still feels like it won't recover until next week, and squatting heavy is only going to make that worse. Basically, I'm a pussy, but I had no desire to squat today. Squat may stall a bit this 4 week cycle which is okay with me right now. For all I care, most of this cycle is adapting to have a bit higher work capacity and tolerance for volume, of which I have essentially 0 atm.

Deadlifts felt a little easy. Okay, like, really easy. But I believe the point was to grease the groove and get some practice while keeping the weight very light and recovering, and I think they served that purpose very nicely. EMOM deadlifts gave me some good practice setting up to the bar because my setup normally takes a minute in and of itself. I narrowed my stance and pointed my toes out more, and it felt much better on my lower back and in my hips. Must be some form creep that caused the discrepancy in my deadlift strength earlier.

Biceps were still sore from curls, so chins were a bit of an epic fail.

Got the whole workout done in 40 minutes and was walking out the door with plenty of time to spare. feelsgoodman.jpg

02/14/2019

Bench: 190x3x2
    Triceps pushdown: 47.5x8x3
    DB bench: 40x12x3
    Chin-up: -45x8x2

Greg Nuckols has got me thinking about adding in some cardio. Avoiding Cardio Could Be Holding You Back • Stronger by Science

02/15/2019

Front squat: 175x8, 175x6x3 A bit easy, but a good first day
    BB row: 155x8x3
    GHR: BWx12x2 Fail. Going to find an alternative dl assistance movement
    Elliptical 30 min. LISS @70% HRmax

Notes:

Began my front squat journey and had a successful first day of relearning the motor pattern.

If anybody has ideas on a better deadlift assistance movement let me know. GHR and hip thrusts are out due to equipment issues.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234