starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corey's road to 2-3-4-5

Default Corey's road to 2-3-4-5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm a serial program hopper. This is my attempt to gain some accountability with sticking to a program.

A little background:
    33m 6'1" 245. Landscaper.
    Have been lifting mostly upper body through my twenties, did 531 in 2016 with the help of the ss book for form which got me into squatting and deadlifting. Have been trying many different programs throughout the last 3 years, never really completing many due to getting distracting by the next shiny new program. I've realized I prefer the full body workouts versus splits, starting with the squat every time gets my body better prepared for whats ahead. I also feel better not lifting 2 days in a row.
    Did a mock meet in the fall with the following 1rms: Squat 365, Bench 315, Deadlift 445, Press 185, then I injured my forearm and did some traveling so took 6 weeks off entirely. came back a few weeks ago and ran LP to this point.

I am going to follow LP for a while, starting with:
    A) Squat - 260 3x5 (sets x reps) Bench 240 3x5 Deadlift 325 x 5
    B) Pause Squat 225 4x2 Press 145 3x5 Rows 195 3x5

I will throw in some Tri's/Bi's and planks at the end of A and wrist ext/curls at the end of B because it makes my elbows and previously broken wrist feel better and my abs are weak. These weights and schemes won't be recorded, just based on how I feel that day.

The upper lifts will run out of LP sooner than lower so I will just change the set/rep scheme's to the same total reps in more sets. After squat gets run out to where I can't do multiple triples I will start Texas Method.

Diet: Going to eat as much protein as I can, as often as I can. Beyond that I am not thinking about it. I eat plenty. I'm not skinny.

Will throw in some form videos here and there, would love to hear any suggestions people have!

Also, anyone out there in Central Oregon?

You seem like you'll be at same crossroad I am avoiding now. You're going to need to decide when novice linear progression stops. I am microloading like crazy to avoid going to intermediate programing..I have 1/4 1/2 3/4 1 and 1 1/4 microplates and i am using them. Rip's practical programing is a a good read and I'm a bit older than you so texas method may have to be modified for me but if I can add 2 lbs even each workout I will stay with LNP....2lbs three times a week is 30 lbs a month! Good luck and keep after it.

Yeah I'm probably only about 3 weeks from hitting a 5rm on press and then dying on sets 2 and 3, will use 1.25's once I get to 155. Then, I'll start TM style programming for upper before the lower lifts. I've also had a lot of success with deload weeks so will be incorporating them into TM as well. I'm not sure if it will be a 2 steps forward, 1 step back approach or just deload for a week whenever I think I need it, probably the latter at first.

3/4/19

Pause Squat: 225 4 doubles
    Press 145 3x5
    Rows 195 3x5

3/6/19

Squat 265 3x5
    Bench 245 3x5
    Deadlift 330 1x5

Felt weak, blaming the snow shovel.

3/8/19

Pause Squat 230 4x2
    Press 150 3x5
    Lat Pulldowns @rpe6-7 between sets of press
    Rows 200 3x5
    All you can eat wings for $17.95

Left work a few hours early today and the weights were flying up! Should probably do this every day...

3-10-19

Squat 270 3x5
    Bench 250 3x5 paused the first 2 reps then tng for 3-5
    Deadlift 335x5 YouTube
    LTEs and 25lb Planks

Gained a few inches around my waste and have been having trouble at the bottom position of squat and deadlift lately. any advice OTHER THAN lose weight?

3-13-19

Pause Squats - 235 4x2
    Press 155 3x5 with lat pulls in between
    Rows 205 3x5

Press wasn't as much of a struggle as I thought it would be, going to go to 160 next week before switching to 2.5 jumps. Business as usual elsewhere.

starting strength coach development program
    3-16-19

Squat 275 3x5
    Bench 255 3x5 all tng
    Deadlift 340 1x5 YouTube

Working on deadlift technique... made quite a bit of changes in set up this week, felt awful but I think my back is better than last week.
    have a forum post on my deadlift technique here trouble getting into starting position in deadlift

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast