starting strength gym
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's Intermediate Log, v2.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just can't tolerate volume, huh?

On squats: Nope. Upper body: We'll see. My triceps keep trying to seize up tonight...

I hope you can, man. I'd bet you'll see some good progress on it (or perhaps maintenance during weight loss).

852HB W1D2: Deadlift 8s

Deadlift: 280x8, 310x8, 335x14 Video of last set at YouTube

So I have a new 14PR I guess? Grueling. So much so that the 3x10 of light squats I had plugged for after didn't happen.

335x14 was pretty awesome. You'll get 3x10 for squats later.

Dunno if "awesome" is the right word ... feels suspiciously like CrossFit.

This program should show some meaningful PRs around week 6, which is pretty slow for an intermediate, but I could make the argument that I'm "situational advanced" right now, so I'll just drive on and thru.

Today:

852HB W1D3: Bench, Light Press

Bench: 210x8, 225x8, 240x12

On the one hand, that's a 12PR. On the other hand, who cares? On the first hand, the repmax formula lists that as a e1RM of 335lbs. Back on the other hand, the e1RM formula is roughly worthless at repcounts above 6. I really don't know if I should be excited about this or not. If the heavier work next week moves well, I'll decide I'm retroactively excited.

Press: 135x10, 9

I was prepared to go as far as a 5x10, but when set 2 crashed after rep 9, I desisted and thought a bit: On the week, I've got 13 working sets of press+bench, which is well more than sufficient, so rather than grind through at 125 or something, I just bagged it.

An okay session. Hard to get excited about these. But got the work done. SDG

Addendum to W1D3:

1 Mile Run, 8:50

Adductor hurt less, and as a result I was able to get some conditioning work out of this. Cut 56 seconds from last week. This is not a fast mile, but if I can string two of those together in a row, my Army PFT is a go for this period. A minimum "go" is all I need this period, as I'm still technically candidating, and my principal function for the Army is to finish grad school. So I'll take it, and see to getting faster when my bits hurt less?
    Last edited by Geoff Bischoff; 04-04-2019 at 08:48 PM.

852HB W1D4: Squats

Squat: 245x8, 265x8, 315x3

Freaking ugh. Every squat, from the empty bar onward, felt like dogcrap. Everything hurts. Whatever. I'll increase weight or reps or both next week, and just try to make small progress. I have to stop thinking of myself as a 400lb squatter; I am manifestly not, right now. I'm a barely-300-lb squatter, until I get this crap fixed.

Hurt as in sore or injury like your adductors? You'll be back to a 400lb squatter and beyond, when you are ready for it. It's there for you to get back to. You're just focused on other important factors at the moment.

starting strength coach development program
    Brother, it's all of the above. That adductor, which rehabbed so nicely when I hurt it back in November, has not rehabbed at all since I hurt it in February. So I'm seeing a doc on Wednesday and see what he's got for me. He's a sports doc I've used before so I'm confident he'll be on board with me continuing to squat; we'll see what else he's got.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast