starting strength gym
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's Intermediate Log, v2.0

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I hear what you're saying, but I'm one of those guys that the warmup protocol was made for. If I were to jump into 395, the bar-shock would fold me in half. How much of that is mental? Meh, I don't wanna find out.

852HB W8D1. Final week: Singles

Press: 195x1, 205x1, 217x2 (2PR!) Video at YouTube

Additional press volume: 225x1, 230x1 (Lifer Single PR!) Video at YouTube

A good day. My goal was to get EITHER a double at 217, OR a single at 230. I was feeling good after the double so I took a shot on 230 and it came up without much drama. Woo! God's keeping this old body together.

Let's see how the week unfolds!

I thought you said at the start of this thread you were likely to be going backwards, but instead you're setting PRs like a wild beast.
    Bloody impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    I hear what you're saying, but I'm one of those guys that the warmup protocol was made for. If I were to jump into 395, the bar-shock would fold me in half. How much of that is mental? Meh, I don't wanna find out.
    Yeah, 395 is no joke, basically anything over 1.5 times body weight just feels bloody heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    I thought you said at the start of this thread you were likely to be going backwards, but instead you're setting PRs like a wild beast.
    Bloody impressive.
    Worked in some Diclofenac Sodium 75mg, physical therapy, and some scaleback programming that dissipated some fatigue. God's good to this old beat-up sinner. I'll look back at the end of this week and see where I ended up wrt initial read.

Next week I have no idea what I'm going to do, will have to feel it out based on how the march goes. Back to TM? Run more 852? Something else entirely? No clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Next week I have no idea what I'm going to do, will have to feel it out based on how the march goes. Back to TM? Run more 852? Something else entirely? No clue.
    That's the fun bit.

I'm with pb on this. For a log that started by prepping us for the lower top sets, you are setting quite a few PRs at various rep ranges. You have been blessed, and all the more so for recognizing them and from wh they come.

Looking forward to the continued PRs!

Adam, it's been a good cycle, and yeah, can't really credit myself for it. Didn't hit my numbers today though.

852HB W8D2: Deadlift singles

Deadlift: 435*1, 465*1, 487*0

Bummer of a miss. Still thinking through it right now. More to follow. I think rack pulls are in order though.
    Last edited by Geoff Bischoff; 05-21-2019 at 05:37 PM.

852HB W8D3: Bench singles

Bench: 295x1, 315x1, 345x0

Another miss, and a slight shoulder tweak. Wondered what's up with me, but by bedtime I was coughing up brown stuff and this morning I've got a wicked head-cold thing going on. Bad timing.

Gonna skip squats today probably. Come back to it next week with some light work to dissipate fatigue, then begin a new cycle, maybe of a TM.

Skipped squats Thursday and did the Army trip to the Grand Canyon yesterday. Hiked rim to rim and am quite smoked. I will lift weights this week when I feel like it, and start some real training about 3 June.

starting strength coach development program
    Recovery: First workout back from what turned out to be bronchitis, plus 24 miles thru Grand Canyon

Squat: 315x5, 335x5, 355x5

Press: 165x5, 175x5, 185x4

Deadlift: 405x5

Bench (Comp Pause): 225x5, 245x5, 265x5

Felt good. Still a bit dizzy and such. Heart rate hammered up to 170 on deadlifts. So ... I'm not all the way back. But 355x5 was not a grinder on the squat, so I'm happy. SDG

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast