starting strength gym
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's Intermediate Log, v2.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Modified LP W5D3

Squat: 405x1x5 (Singles across PR) Set 3 at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “405x1. Part of a cluster of 5 singles at 405: Massive singles agross PR. Before today I'd never done more than 2 reps above 400 in a single…”

Had triples across Monday; singles today. This was a big day: After today, I have 13 (I believe) LIFETIME reps of squat above 400 lbs; 38% of that total volume was today alone. Think Monday I'm going for 8s or 5s.

Bench: 245x8x3

Keeping 8s while they're rolling.

Press: 190x1x5

Singles across; following Delgadillo's advice and getting some more press singles in.

Curl: 60x10x3

Meh.

So there is a very small vestige of linearity remaining in this program, but it's more "modified" than it is "LP" at this point. Starting next week, I'll name it something else and just keep scrolling it.

GIP (General Intermediate Program), W1D1

So I came up with a name. Calling it the GIP. It's a mixed bag as you've seen. Phenomenologically, here's what's happening (no promises this is how it stays):

Squat: Rotating rep ranges to keep PRs coming.

Bench: LPing sets of 8 at the moment; starting to get stale.

DL: Andy Baker's 6-week DL improvement plan (about to do week 6, so that'll change soon, to GOK what).

Press: Delgadillo's 5x5/singles across protocol for TM.

Right now, slots are working great with: D1, Squat and Bench. D2, DL and press. D3, Squat, Bench, Press Singles.

So today's performance (yes, a day early; on top of other shenanigans I'm about to have the Week from Hell workwise/churchwise/schoolwise):

Squat: 345x8x3 (8PR!) (Multiset PR: Highest weight for 24 reps in one workout)

Kind of a big deal in a way: Both of my adductor injuries happened at 345lbs. Superstitious-me kinda had a hangup about 345lbs. I have generally avoided it, doing 340 or 350, as if 345 were unlucky. Just sucked it up and got it done today.

Bench: 250x8x3, Comp Pause throughout (8PR!) (Multiset PR: Highest weight for 24 reps in one workout)

8rep LP continues apace.

Curl: 65x10x3

Meh. With only a 2-day rest this was tough! But it's curls so who cares.

Got the work done. SDG

GIP W1D2

Deadlift: 490x1 (PR!) Video at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “490x1. PR! Programming help from @andybakerssc for the win. SDG #weights #wendler531 #power #powerlifting #linearprogression #teamssoc…”

Andy Baker's 6week DL improvement: Success. Run it again, +5lbs? Maybe.

Press: 175x5x5

Considered an AMRAP on last press set but discretion won out.

GIP W1D3

Squat: 375x5x2

No breakfast, an hour early, with a long night behind me and a long day in front of me. I texted a SSC friend of mine about what I should do, knowing this was coming up. My desired programming was 375x3x5, but I knew I wouldn't have the recovery for it, so I did 2 sets, which should be enough to avoid detraining. As it was, the last rep of the second triple was a harder grind than 405 was last week.

Bench: 255x8x3

Sets of 8 are still LPing for me right now. This one was close on the last two sets, but I think with better food and sleep I can probably still hit 260 next week?

Press: 195x1x5

Couple grinders in there, but able to work some form even with poor recovery. This is a singles across PR, so I wrote it in the PR ledger, but since I've had this weight for a set of five in recent memory, not super exciting. Just moving the press along as Delgadillo laid out.

Curls: 65x10x3

Dead tired by this time; just repeated previous weight. Positive impact to my elbow tendinitis continues, so I'll keep doing these. Rip's chin-up protocol didn't seem to hit it when I tried that months ago, and neither did BB rows. These curls are just what the doc ordered right now.

I praise God for strengthening me to get meaningful strength work in on day 5 of what looks to be a 12-day continuous military commitment without a day off. Hope a day off comes when scheduled. This next week I may have to "RPE" it a bit to tread water, if things don't slow down.

Honestly, just getting in there for the workout on those conditions is awesome. Then to do that many working sets, astounding. Great job Geoff, and hopefully the next 7 days aren't too bad.

Yeah Adam, I'm just thankful to be able to get it in, even when "it" is less than intended.

GIP W2D1

Squat: 360x5x3 (5s across PR)

Not bad. 360 is where my LP crashed and I had to do drop sets; getting these 5s across is a big milestone.

Bench: 260x8, 8, 7

Whelp, my linear progression of 8s is probably over, or else recovery just sucks. Maybe I'll try it again next run.

Curl: 67x10x3

Added 2lbs. Kinda LPing it.

GIP W2D2

Deadlift: 375x5x5 (Volume PR)

So I've recycled the 6wk Andy Baker plan at week 1, but I've added 10lbs instead of 5. Is this sustainable? Stay tuned folks!

Press: 177.5x5x5

Did this workout during hours 15-17 of my day today; glad I microloaded. Also: Got this in Tuesday night instead of Wednesday morning; hopefully that translates to additional recovery to do something amazing Friday. Or ... at least something adequate.

GIP W2D3 (Conducted over two days due to military obligations)

Bench: 265x8x3 (8PR!) (V24 PR!)

Some food and sleep and I was able to get all three sets of 8 in this time, at the 5lb bump. I'm using "Vxx PR" from now on to delineate a volume PR of xx reps at YY weight. So V24 means "most weight ever lifted 24 times in one workout."

Press: 200x1x5

Technically a singles across PR, but I'm not going to start really "counting" the singles across PRs until the weight exceeds what I have previously done in a single set of 5 reps.

Squat: 375x3x5 (V15 PR!)

Triples across, and it felt good.

Row: 225x8x3

This was a passive aggressive move. Couple of d-bags on the platform next to me were doing really poor barbell rows at 95lbs, and I didn't feel like teaching, so instead I just loaded up the bar to 225 and got some sets in. They left after the first while I was resting for my second. I can be a real jerk sometimes I guess.

Curls: 70x10x3

Another bump in weight. Don't care much about curls, but: Doing these so close after squats, the chronic pain in my biceps went away basically immediately. Chins may work for some; barbell curls are doing it for me.

Looks like a lot of work, but spread across 2 days (and 3 trips to the gym) it wasn't so bad. No days off of Army for me, though: Got a 4-hour job to do Saturday night, a 12+ hour job Sunday, and back to the regular grind Monday. I should be up for some leave soon though. God is keeping me strong, but I miss my family: Seems I'm home only to sleep lately.

GIP W3D1: Not conducted (Army Duty precluded)

GIP W3D2

Deadlift: 445x2x2

Programmed: 445x3x3. But on rep 3 of set 1, I lost grip due to junk bar. Set 2, determined to grip the dogcrap out of the bar and get the job done, I felt a series of pops up the right lumbar as soon as the weight broke from the floor. So I abandoned the rep and did a quick set at 135 just to get some movement in. Injury seems minor but will have to be dealt with.

Press: 180x5x5

Tied my best volume-day press despite injury.

Squat: Singles up to 315

This was purely exploratory, to see how my injury would impact squats.

So ... I have no idea what Friday's workout is gonna look like squat-wise, or how to move deadlifts right this second. Maybe just do a linear rebuild, I dunno.

starting strength coach development program
    GIP W3D3

Squat: 365x2, 385x2, 405x2, 1 (2PR!)

Squat seems okay. Some pain at the injury site but not badly aggravated by squatting, returns to baseline quickly. Got a PR double on sheer adrenaline today really.

Curl: 72.5x10x3

Still LPing. Heh.

Bench: 275x8, 7 (8PR!)

Had to chump-dump the 8th rep of set 2. I've had adequate rest to dissipate fatigue (I think) so I'm going with 8s are done LPing. Um ... 7s maybe?

Press: 205x1x5

A little slower than singles at 200. But they came up without significant drama.

DL: 405x2

Exploratory, to find out "how hurt am I?" A double at 405 was no big deal, some soreness during and after. Still not sure how to progress right now.

A good day all around though. SDG

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast