starting strength gym
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's Intermediate Log, v2.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    Yeah, I'm a fan of Texas Method too.
    I will be going back to what I was doing, just didn't want to be doing Texas Method while dieting.
    The leg training is actually still Texas method, but I dropped both volume and intensity on Bench and OHP.

Diet ends this week.
    Dieting sux. Glad you're nearly done with it!

Arizona Method, W4D3 (Thursday) and W4D4 (Friday)

2s week, Bench and Squat.

Top set bench at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “Hew haircut and a new bench double on AZ method. 340x2. 2PR! Was feeling a bit sluggish all session, and you can see it in the bar speed…”

Top set squat at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “420x2. 2PR! Arizona Method week 4 of 5 complete. Results so far: 16 sessions, 17 PRs. SDG #22000lbs4johnson #22miles4johnson #weights…”

Bench: 305x2, 325x2, 340x2 (2PR!)

Squat: 385x2, 405x2, 420x2 (2PR!)

So this break from Texas Method has been 16 sessions with 17 PRs. Good all around. Last time I did something similar to this, my 1s week was a total bust; I think I failed every PR attempt the final week. My body is feeling similar now to how it was then, so I have an inkling I may have a rough time next week. But we shall see.

Also, my official 2-mile run test is in 8 days. We shall see how that goes also.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Dieting sux. Glad you're nearly done with it!
    Diet officially ends today, I reached my goal to cut to 80kg, only lost 1/2 to 1 rep on my PRs it seems.

Last time I was 80kg (since starting up lifting last year) my 5 rep max on bench was around 170 pounds, today it's 230 pounds.

I am at 18% bodyfat.
    The ultimate goal is to get 15%.
    I will go on a moderate bulking diet for the next 6 months, then cut again and try and get to 17% bodyfat.

Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    Diet officially ends today, I reached my goal to cut to 80kg, only lost 1/2 to 1 rep on my PRs it seems.

Last time I was 80kg (since starting up lifting last year) my 5 rep max on bench was around 170 pounds, today it's 230 pounds.

I am at 18% bodyfat.
    The ultimate goal is to get 15%.
    I will go on a moderate bulking diet for the next 6 months, then cut again and try and get to 17% bodyfat.
    Sounds successful. That +60 to your bench 5RM especially!

Less successful on my front, though not unexpected:

Arizona Method W5D1, W5D2

Singles week. 0 for 2 so far; video is at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “Arizona Method, Week 5: Press: 232x0 DL: 480x0 Thought this might happen. You can see my opinion of the press outcome after the failed…”

Press: 215x1, 225x1, 232x0

DL: 440x1, 460x1, 480x0

Just no gas in the tank, and my whole body feels like it's been worked over by Mike Tyson. Benches and squats still to come later in the week.

Sounds successful. That +60 to your bench 5RM especially!
    Thanks
    I think I am getting close to my genetic potential at this bodyweight.
    I'm guessing I might be able to add another 10 pounds to my bench in the next 12 months. I have no idea after that.

I imagine you'll be glad to get back to regular training without all this added extra pressure on passing fitness tests.

What a joke with the fitness testing. Just send them a link to your Instagram and see if they can keep a straight face while expressing any concern about your "fitness." Just might want to take down that post about your current obesity though

Pos and Dillon: I'm going to be quite glad to get back to regular training. Even as an, erm, obese fellow. Meanwhile, the downturn continues:

Arizona Method, W5D3

Singles Week: Bench Singles

Bench: 315x1 (Paused), 335x1 (Paused: Pause Rep PR!), 355x0

Video of the paused 335 at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “Arizona Method: Partial success. 335x1 paused. Comp pause PR. Tried for the personal best at 355 but failed. Think I'm gonna call the ball…”

I have to look up the definition of "heaving;" I might be doing it here. As for the fail at 355; I was ready to dump it after I lowered it back to my chest, when a tiny little Indian fellow came and brought it back to the rack with my help. Embarrassing ... lol

Squats coming up to close the week out; I might skip them altogether. I just don't feel like folding up under 430 right now, and I'm pretty sure that's what'll happen.

Arizona Method, W5D4: Not Conducted Because Reasons

It was an interesting idea, and yielded 4 weeks of off-brand PRs. I may do something similar again in the future. But I skipped the squat workout (Lame!) this week.

Overall result of Arizona Method: 20 sessions planned, 19 conducted, 17 PRs.

So today was the APFT. Result:

Push Up, 2 minutes: 79 reps. Score: 100/100 (Max)

Sit Up, 2 minutes: 40 reps. Score: 62/100 (Pass)

Run, 2 miles: 17:36. Score: 66/100 (Pass)

In my current status, pass versus max is no career gain. All I needed was a pass, and I got it. So I'm quite happy today. And of course I maxed push ups; anybody who benches seriously will max push ups. Sit ups: I did zero sit ups in 2019. I should probably change that I guess; I thought even untrained I would still be good for at least 50 reps, but I just ran out of steam. Run: I cut over a minute from my last practice run (the one that gave me a full-on allergy attack followed by three days of congestion, because Arizona). Most of the improvement stemmed from a grim determination that I would not be repeating this test due to failure. And now I may never have to take this version of the test again.

AR 600-9 portion (height and weight): 71", 221lbs. Bodyfat%: PASS. I passed with plenty of room for error so no worries.

So that's done. Probably a week of screwing around in the gym before settling back into serious programming, and I'm not worried about diet or waistline anymore. Happy to be able to go back to real lifting.

Okay, got back to "normal-ish" this evening, doing some of tomorrow's work tonight for my Kinda-Texas-Method Kinda-Volume-Day.

GIP2, W1D1

Bench: 290x5x5 (V25 PR!)

Barbell Row: 250x2x3

Dumbbell Row: 125/125x5x3

Volume squats tomorrow. I'm thinking it's going to be 335x5x5 with an intended 395 ID target later in the week (which is a bit lighter than I last left off, but I've missed some squat work).

I'll start tracking tonnage again, and count this coming week as W5Oct.

T: 12500
    TW5Oct: 12500

GIP2, W1D1.1

Volume Squat: 335x5x5

Putting in work.

T: 8375
    TW5Oct: 20875

starting strength coach development program

So today was the APFT. Result:

Push Up, 2 minutes: 79 reps. Score: 100/100 (Max)

Sit Up, 2 minutes: 40 reps. Score: 62/100 (Pass)

Run, 2 miles: 17:36. Score: 66/100 (Pass)

AR 600-9 portion (height and weight): 71", 221lbs. Bodyfat%: PASS. I passed with plenty of room for error so no worries.

So that's done. Probably a week of screwing around in the gym before settling back into serious programming, and I'm not worried about diet or waistline anymore. Happy to be able to go back to real lifting.
    Well done, Geoff, and congratulations on passing the APFT!

Now, on to your 500-lb deadlift. :-)

-Rob

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast