starting strength gym
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's Intermediate Log, v2.0

Default Geoff's Intermediate Log, v2.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My LP is here: Young "master" novice log.

My first Intermediate log, covering 20+ weeks of Texas Method training and two USSF meets, is here: Geoff's youngish-old-guy Intermediate Training Log, v1.0

Current stats:
    Age 41
    Height 71"
    Weight 218 lbs
    Waist circ 38"

A quote from the last post I made on my v1.0 intermediate log, to explain why this one exists:

"If I were able to prioritize training this runout as with the last one, I would expect a series of a couple more 5PRs, followed by new 3s, 2s, and singles PRs. However, I'm not able to do such prioritization, as my non-training life has been barking for attention these last few weeks, and looks to continue to do so going forward for the immediately foreseeable future. Ecclesiastical, military, familial duties are all clamoring for attention, and I may achieve little more than "maintenance" for a bit."

So you'll see some weird things here no doubt, including some running (!!) because Army. If my strength levels degrade 10% or less during this log, I will consider it a success.

10% degradation =

Squat not lower than 375x1, 335x5 by end
    Deadlift not lower than 435x1, 395x5 by end
    Bench not lower than 300x1, 275 by end
    Press not lower than 205x1, 180x5 by end.

Now, in the past I've been over-pessimistic during periods like this; I hope that's the case now as well, and that instead of mitigating losses I actually make some small gains. My YHWH grant strength and diligence!

Looking forward to the new adventure. So is the main goal a cut, or running performance? I'm wondering what you are expecting/needing to get to for work requirements, and what length of time you think you will take to get there?

I don't have any specific intention with respect to bodyweight; I expect though that some lbs will drop. If I dip under 210 I'll eat more.

Some conditioning and running work short term, maybe three weeks.

The lifting program in writing looks like Wendler's and Baker's programs had a baby. A Homebrew 8/5/2 variant. If I can stay consistent I might shore up some missing work capacity!

W1: Maintenance

This week, the only thing I hope to accomplish is tread water. I intend two sessions: DL/PR, BN/SQ

D1: Deadlift, Press

Deadlift: 405x1x5

Press: 185x2x3

Some singles and doubles in the 90s. Recovering from a 4-day guard drill which impacted last week and this week. Back in the gym Friday Lord-willing, for similar on squats and benches.

Oh boy! Maybe I'll be able to catch up to you, you monster

I think you'll like an 8/5/2 set up. I've been running it for upper body lifts for a bit, and while I haven't hit any new PRs yet, I'm going to easily hit what were once intensity day fahves for sets across next week. Pretty confident that I could hit some PRs tomorrow if they were programmed, but I'm sticking with my plan. Allowing myself to include assistance lifts and sets of more than five reps has been fun too! I've also managed to pull off a bit of a recomp while doing it. Scale hasn't dropped much, but the mirror test is more favourable than it was a couple of months ago just from eating around maintenance and including some HIIT. I think you're being pessimistic with a 10% drop in strength!

Sorry you have to run brother. Barf.

Best of luck with all everything else life is throwing your way these days. Looking forward to following v2.0!

You seem to be a very thoughtful man. Best wishes on your new journey. I will follow as best I can.

Thanks all; I too hope this goes well. Short-term, my conditioning is quite poor.

W1, D2: 1MR

Run: 1 mile, 9:46

This was disgustingly slow, but it provides the information it was supposed to. Right adductor that continues to bother me while squatting, well no surprise, it bothers me running, too. Once I was warm it was no longer a problem, but by then my poor conditioning was limiting me. Okay! 17 days until I have to test. I can do this on sheer moxie if I have to, but I'd prefer to shore up some conditioning before then so I don't have to.

Good luck. I'm in a similar boat as you are but different circumstances. I play rec basketball and baseball. For basketball my conditioning is so horrible I'm embarrassed. I'm good for about 10 mins of hard play and then I'm toast. For the last month I've been cutting down from 230 to 223 at 6'1" and still been hitting some PR's at least for now. I'm gonna start up Baker's Garage Gym Warrior soon. I've run GGW twice during cuts and it's worked great. Most of the program is very manageable is regards to fatigue as it really only has 3 high stress weeks. A perfect program for lifting and managing life IMO.

I've dropped some weight already it looks like, which is okay. Came in at 216 this morning.

W1, D3: Squat, Bench

Squat: 365x1x3

Bench: 295x2x3

This is the most I've had on my back in a long time; it was good to get it up even though the form was poor. Still have adductor pain but I don't think I can call it "injured" at this point.

8/5/2 variant starting next week.

SDG

starting strength coach development program
    Gonna start coding this as "852HB" which is 8/5/2 Homebrew.

852HB W1D1: Press 8s, Bench 10s

Press: 135x8, 145x8, 155x10

Had this fantasy where I was going to do 155x14, but yeah, no freakin' way. Good volume though. I don't think I've ever handled 155 for 10; I haven't kept track of 10s so who knows?

Bench: 225x10x3, 185x10x2 Video of third set of 225 at YouTube

So yeah, today consisted of 76 upper body working reps. No wonder I'm trembling like a newborn doe as I write this. Pump feels superhuman, and you can see that third set of 225 barely flew.

I really have no idea how this training block is going to turn out. I just plan to lean into it as hard as I can and see where it ends up. Those of you paying attention, welcome to the weird.

SDG

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast