starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adaptive programming to avoid injuries, experimentation, and further gains

Default Adaptive programming to avoid injuries, experimentation, and further gains

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Even though my squat strength hasn’t yet hit intermediate level, my press and bench certainly have and my back is prone to injury so can’t follow linear progression programming for squat.

I will be making adjustments to my programming on the fly to prevent injuries and to try as many different ideas as possible.
    For legs and lower back, I will incorporate the use of squats, deadlifts, clean pulls, lunges, and leg press.
    For upper body, Bench, 60 degree Bench, Standing OHP, Weighted Chins or Lat Pulldowns, and Seated Rows, occasional tricep work.

The reason for leg press is to give my back a break, but still allow to go heavy. Only added as neeeded.
    Lunges give my back a break.
    Clean pulls are a power movement performed at lower loads than deadlifts.
    The reason for 60 degree bench, is OHP puts strain on my lower back, I can’t perform OHP all the time, the 60 degree bench is close to a overhead press but doesn’t stress my lower back. Priority will be given to Over Head Press.

In terms of programming this will change frequently till I find something that works well for my recovery and any injuries I might have.
    Last edited by positronbomb; 04-19-2019 at 03:51 AM.

There has been many discussions concerning recovery. I think we still have a section on recovery. You may wish to check those out.

Just in case people are interested.
    Height: 5' 8"
    Weight: 182 lbs (most recent measurement)
    Waist: 35.5"
    Around 20% bodyfat

Current PRs
    Bench: 3 rep max 233.2 lbs (106kg), 5 rep max 220 lbs (100kg)
    OHP: 5 rep max 143 lbs (65kg)
    Squat: Not yet established due to injury set backs
    Deadlift: Not yet established due to injury set backs

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    There has been many discussions concerning recovery. I think we still have a section on recovery. You may wish to check those out.
    Thanks for the tip.

Still finishing up with a few weeks of novice training to try and achieve some goals before switching to intermediate.

I have decided I will apply the principles of the Texas Method to my training, but exercise selection will be quite different.
    Last edited by positronbomb; 05-17-2019 at 04:26 AM.

Ok achieved my novice goal for bench press, starting intermediate training, Monday next week.
    Bench press will be Texas Method.
    OHP will be Texas method.
    Leg press will be run NLP for a few weeks, then switching to Texas Method.
    Deadlift will be run NLP for a few weeks (recovering from back injury)
    No squatting for a while, sick and tired of injuring my back which then also affects my ability to progress deadlifts.
    Chin Ups maybe run Texas Method style. I’ll play around with different ideas for this.

I won’t be alternating bench with OHP, I need more frequency to improve those lifts, so both lifts will be performed 3 times a week, except Wednesday’s bench will be close grip bench.
    Last edited by positronbomb; 05-17-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Just planting an acorn here, so I know to keep up with this thread! (I usually scan the threads, looking for the indicator of "you've posted here before").

Grats on hitting the bench goal!

Thanks.

Going to write out Monday's program in advance so I'm not guessing what I am meant to be doing.

NLP Leg Press: 200kg (250kg including sled weight), 3 sets of 5
    TM OHP: 54Kg, 5 sets of 5
    MTM Bench: 87.5kg, 3 sets of 5
    NLP Deadlift: 110kg, 2 sets of 5
    TM Chin ups: +5kg, 5 sets of 5

starting strength coach development program
    Am I the only one who keeps a spiral notebook for my workouts?

And I have one for the Special Olympics powerlifters, too. Maybe that's why I get strange looks on the gym?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast