• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Monday, June 10, 2019
    Heavy Squat: 275x5, 255x5x4
    Close Grip Bench (M. Pressing): 177.5x5x4
    Deadlift (M. Pull): 275x5x4

BW: 294.1#
    Waist: 49"

I'm off work today in prep of going camping Tuesday-Friday (coming home Friday), so morning workout today. Overall I found today to be a mixed bag. 275 squat felt really heavy. Much more so than the 270 I did last Tuesday. But, it went up every rep, so going to move up next week. The 255 back-off sets were ok. Felt a bit easier than Saturday's 245 medium squats, but not as easy as last week's 250 back-offs.

Close grip bench was harder than I was expecting, even after the last warmup at 155, but they weren't excessively challenging. Overall these were good.

Deadlift was my surprise lift of the day. It felt great. Bar stayed against my leg, reps moved relatively quickly with only a couple breaths at the bottom, and the weight moved up smoothly. If you've looked at my NLP log and this one, two of my big issues are bar staying against the leg and being very winded after the first 3 reps to the point that I switched to triples towards the end of NLP. These didn't have any of those signs. Only ~85% of my heavy deadlift, but at the volume, I was still having issues. So again, today volume deads were a pleasant surprise.

294.1 is my lowest recorded weight since I started in October. I think I may have seen about this in a mid-week weighing, but I screwed it up by Monday and weighed more. This was pretty exciting. Waist still measures about 49", which is fine. I think this week was good for getting me to a new baseline to work down from. I was pretty solid on my diet (I'd say averaged 2200-2300/day, but need to check to verify). Looking forward to getting into the 280's. I was about 285 when I started NLP 9 years ago, and I made it to about 268 then. I'm already lifting at the same level or higher as what I ended there, and just getting down there. Hopefully the road to 250 still has plenty of PRs. Once there, I'll have to decide how to progress down further (mainly - 2-3lbs a week still, or slow up to 1ish/wk).

As mentioned, going camping tomorrow and will be back on Friday. As of now I am missing my light day which isn't a huge loss except for presses. If we get home in time, I may give them a go on Friday to keep them moving along. Down side to that is Saturday will be heavy bench, and I don't want to impact that either. Worst case scenario here I miss the lift this week and drop back to 135 next week and am back where I should be 2 weeks from then. Diet-wise, I should be good while camping. I'm not tracking everything, but we're having 3 meals instead of 4-5, and the meals we're having are in line with what I might at normally. So, I should be ok coming in to next Monday's weigh in.

I also need to record a few sets again soon. I've been out of habit and enjoying just lifting, but I think my squat may be devolving into a low-bar-loaded high bar squat to some extent. I also want to make sure in the effort I've been giving to keep the bar against my legs, that I'm not compromising on back extension.

Dude, it's all working for you right now! Awesome.

Grats especially on continuing to gain strength while in caloric deficit. That takes a kind of mental toughness that is truly next level.

Thanks, Geoff. It's definitely tough, and I look forward to the day I can eat maintenance or slightly above.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gottstein View Post
    294.1 is my lowest recorded weight since I started in October. Looking forward to getting into the 280's. Hopefully the road to 250 still has plenty of PRs. Once there, I'll have to decide how to progress down further (mainly - 2-3lbs a week still, or slow up to 1ish/wk).
    One sensible approach is to start eating maintenance for the weight you want to be.
    If you want to weigh 250lbs start eating maintenance for a 250lbs person now, which will be a deficit at your current weight.

Great work by the way.

I noticed I've lost 1/2 an inch on my waist so I'm happy.

Saturday, June 22, 2019
    Light Squat: 210x5x3
    Press (light pressing): 130x5, 120x5x4
    Row (light pull): 180x5x3
    Power Cleans: 140x3x3

12 days since my last lifting, so I went with a light day and did a ~5lb deload on the weights. Time off was due to vacation. I should have had 2 workouts this week, but needed to clean out the garage instead as we just put things in there post-vacation. It was entirely avoidable, but the break was nice. I will be reducing some of my heavy lifts next week as well, with the intent of being back to highest lifts in 2-3 weeks, and working beyond after that.

Workout-wise, squats were good. Light day squats and 210 isn't difficult at all, though I could feel the 12 day gap a bit. Press was good, and I'm glad I reduced to 130. Goal is 135 next week, 137.5 the week after that, and then new PRs. Rows were reduced 5lbs, will go to 185 again next week. Power cleans were good at 140, will probably just go to 142.5 next week and work up by 2.5lbs.

I got some new shoes - Reebok Legacy Lifters. They feel solid, and glad to have them. Light day was a good time to start to break them in.

Monday July 8, 2019
    Squat: 225x5x3
    Bench: 185x5, 177.5x5, 180x4
    Deadlift: 275x5, 235x5x2

BW: 292.4
    Waist: ~49"

I looked at my logs today prepping for what my weights would be, and I was surprised by how the time has flown by. I knew I had missed some workouts, but in truth I have lifted twice in the past month, today being the third time. one and a half weeks were due to vacation stuff, but the rest was me procrastinating. I also came back from vacation to 105 degree days and not thrilled about lifting in the garage in that heat. I realized this weekend I was procrastinating lifting again and determined to get in there again today, so I did. This week is set to be more of a LP-HLM hybrid week to get back up closer to where I was, then get to where I was in 2-3 weeks at which point I'll be progressing again.

Squats were good, but harder than I wish they had been. Bench was mixed. 185 was too ambitious and I realized that after the first set. I meant to go to 180, but missed a 2.5 on the one side so did 177.5. Readjusted to 180 for the 3rd set and missed a rep. Deadlifts were set to be a (relatively) heavy set that will work up towards my Friday heavy deadlift when back to full HLM, followed by back-off sets @ 85% of working set to represent the volume day. I'll do the same thing Friday, going to up to 295 for the top set and adding an additional set.

Body weight is on my low end as where I've been lately. I cut a few calories this week to see if I can get this going further down as I'd really like to get below 290. Waist was probably closer to 49.5 this morning, but honestly, I've been a bit bloated today, and since my weight isn't going up, I'm assuming waist really isn't, either.

Saturday July 13, 2019
    Squat: 245x5, 230x5x2
    Press: 125x5x3
    Deadlift: 275x5
    Bench: 155x5x3

Well, still haven't got back into the swing of things fully as it took from Monday to today to get a 2nd workout in, but I got it in. All in all this was a good workout. It was hot, and I am definitely deconditioned, but I hit all of the target weights. I am heading out of town, so hoping to make it to the gym on Monday and either Wed. or Thursday. I'll then be home late Friday and pushing for a Saturday workout like today.

Squats were good today. It's frustrating to have weights that were easy warmup weights now be my top set and a challenge, but that's where I got myself. PSA: Don't miss a month. Anyway, this went well and with a 20lb jump over Monday, I was glad to get to the back-off sets. I had been doing back-off sets at 92.5% of the top set, so I'm taking advantage of this ramp back up to move back-off sets to 95% of the top set. In the case of squats and deadlifts, I'll round to the nearest 5lb increment. Next week the goal is 255 on Monday, 255 Wed, 260 on Saturday, then back to HLM model the following week.

With press, I really didn't think I was going to make this. Warmups weren't bad until about 105 which felt way too hard , so I started thinking this might end up like bench on Monday. That said, I pushed for the first set @125, and it went well for that set as well as the next two. Plan next week is to do 130 on Wed. I feel like my bench suffered more than my press due to time missed, so I'll keep next week as bench, press, bench, then the following week I should be set to do my normal HLM setup of CG bench Mon, press Wed, bench Fri.

I chose deadlifts over rows and power cleans because I feel like that is what needs to drive up more and will bring the others with it. It's also well within my upper range and needs to go up. These went pretty well, and I chose not to do backoffs because it was 100 degrees and I was beat.

I threw in three sets of bench at a light weight with a goal of not detraining from my already detrained bench I did on Monday.

Here's where you stay the course, mate. Don't let a setback in consistency snowball into something unmanageable. 1 is greater than 0.

Glad to see you keeping at it, especially in this rough AZ summer.

Thanks, Geoff. I'm definitely still in it, just hadn't accounted for how much I was going to be set back or how hard getting back into routine would be. That said, in CT this week and training at Annino Strength. Posting Monday's workout now and will post todays later. This really is a nice place and highly recommend to anyone in the area or visiting ($15 drop in, check class schedule for conflicts).

Monday, July 15, 2019
    Squat: 255x5, 240x2?
    Bench: 190x4, 180x5x2
    Deadlift: 250x5x3

Bench and deadlift were solid.missed the one rep at 190, but another minute of rest would have had it. Squats I failed at 240, leaving the bar on the pins. I did a few more sets at various weight and reps, but nothing worth recording. After some helpful insight by Coach Cody, I realize my back is soft and the bar rolling, and I'm probably overthinking the horizontal part too much. Got some coaching I'll be applying and an associated deload.

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019
    Squat: 225x5, 235x5, 245x1
    Press: 130x5, 122.5x5x2
    Rows: 165x5x2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast