starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Giving a go at HLM

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For the Wednesday workout, did the squats focusing on back tightness. 225 and 235 felt decent, though tough. 245 I felt I was going back to a soft mess, so I stopped. Due to time constraints, I stopped squats then and moved on to presses. Those went pretty much exactly as expected, so that's good. Rows we're good, too, though I ran out of time so only 2 sets.

Monday, July 29, 2019
    Squat: 135x5x3
    Bench: 155x5x3
    Deadlift: 225x5

I don't really know what's up, but I've been having a hard time wanting to lift, and when I lifts have been sucking when I have, particularly with squats, which have been feeling off. I want to change that, so this week is just about getting out there and lifting. I went really light on squats, moderately light on bench, and moderately on deadlift (ok, very light given only 1 set). The goal is 185 squats Wed, 225 Friday, then 10lb jumps next Monday and Friday will put back in the mid-200's where I can work back up from. Light or not, today went well, and I'm glad for it.

I also got some bands for doing chins, and strarting adding them in today (I tried them out a couple times, but today is actually doing them). Using the 2 thickest, I got 3, 5, 4. I'll keep at this and get myself to doing chin-ups and pull-ups.

Monday, August 5, 2019
    Squat: 185x5x3
    Bench: 165x5x3
    Deadlift: 255x5

Chins: Green and Purple bands x4x3

BW: 291.7 lb
    Waist: 49"

I obviously didn't lift last Wed and Friday. I'm going to say "this is the week, this is it, I'm back full steam," and I intend to have that be the case. However, given recent past performance, I'll let the log entries speak for themselves. Everything today was solid. Weight is nowhere in the realm of going to miss a rep, but I am pretty far out of training that they felt heavier than they should have. Goal this week will be squat: wed - 225, Fri 235; press: wed - 120 or 125; rows and power cleans on wed - not sure, will figure it out then; bench on friday - 175; deadlift on Friday - 275.

On the plus side, this is my first recorded 291 weight that I've got, so I'm excited about that. I slept in late, had nothing to eat until lunch, and almost tanked it later with snacks. Instead, I had a big dinner, and while my protein was low for the day, overall calories were good, and I feel like it showed in getting the weight down. Right now I'm pushing 2000 calories and going for 279 or lower. That will put me down 50lbs from when I started and will be a great milestone. It'll also be good to get the weight loss moving again, as I've taken 5 months to drop 8 lbs, which is sad at my weight.

Wednesday August 7, 2019
    Squat: 205x5x3
    Rows: 165x5x3
    Press: 120x5x3
    Power cleans: 135x3x3

Chins: Green and Purple bands x4x3

Day 2 this week done. One more and I'm getting back on track, at which point I need to repeat going forward.

I was thinking of doing 225 today for squats, but since 185 felt way heavier than I planned on Monday, I've decided to play this out over this week and next in an NLP style. It may go longer than that, so we'll see. For squats, my next 4 sessions are planned to be 225, 235, 245, and then 255 next Friday. I'll definitely adjust depending on how things feel, but that is the plan. As for today, I did 205 belted, and it felt great, which is good as my squats have been feeling off lately.

Rows are usually after presses, but was working around my wife doing pulldowns in the rack, so did this first. Rows are rows, and these were fine.

Press was the big surprise lift of the day. Last time I did press was 3 weeks ago while traveling, and I did 130x5, followed by 2 sets of 5 at 122.5. I thought 120 was going to be a pretty easy weight, but it wasn't. I thought I was going to fail on the first set, so I used wraps on sets 2 and 3. That did the trick, but this was still more challenging than expected.

Power cleans were actually really good for not having cleaned in probably 6-8 weeks. The best part for me was this weight used to be a challenge, and now it's a "reset" level weight. I haven't been too much higher, but this was good.

Chins were still 3 sets of 4. I was thinking of the best way to progress these, and rather than trying to force these to 8-10 reps, I'm going to progress the weight by adding more bands until I can get 8-10 reps or so, and then work down through the bands in progression. I think 4 is just too low of a starting point for now.

Are you still walking?
    Just remember you're adding muscle mass too.
    If you keep gettting stronger and keep the walking up you'll definitely reach your goal.
    It might not happen as fast as you would like but you'll definitely get there if you stick at it.

Hey there, pb. I actually haven't done the walking in a while. I am going to get back into it, but probably in September. I start work at 6 am and not getting up early enough to walk before then. When I'm done with work it's about 100-110 degrees out, and it's our monsoon season so there's also a good chance it's raining pretty heavily. So, since I got off track with the training, my goal is to use August to get that back into normal routine and add the walking back in when it cools a bit and the rain stops.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah so no worries. Keep positive, you're gonna do it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234