starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ddtediejm's H/L/M

Default Ddtediejm's H/L/M

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After 27 weeks of running LP, it was time to make the jump into intermediate training. My ending numbers for LP were:
    Squats:290x5x3
    Bench: 205@3
    Press: 140@3
    Deadlift:330@3
    PC: 125x3x5 (I kept this light because my form sucks).

Stuff I forgot to add:
    BW:226.5 (as of Monday)

So after much digging into The Barbell Prescription, and PPST and various Andy Baker videos on YouTube about the H/L/M I got out my training log book, and put together a plan. I think I am going to have to go to the four day split, however, as adding the volume has increased my time and I can't go to work late every M,W,F as my boss would frown upon that, even if I were making great gains. But, for today, I got in and knocked out the first of many. I am going to cycle this for 12 weeks to see what I can do. Without further ado..today's numbers:

Squat: 290x5, 265x5x4-taking Sully and Andy's advice from the Barbell Prescription here, and "toeing" my way into the deep end. Hit the first Heavy at a set of 5 (or three for my bench as it seems) and work up from there.
    Bench: 205x3. I probably should have backed this down to 200, as I never fully got 205 up for 5. Didn't really think about this until after I did the set. I then did 195x5x4 with 3 min rest in between sets. Hoping that would help cut down time in the work out.
    Light Dead Lifts: 280x5x2-still working on form with these, and like the idea of the heavy pull on a light squat day, so my "heavy" day for DL will be on Wed. this week. I tried to video myself doing these, and kind of failed on that. Not sure how all these young "hipsters" are able to pull off a good video. I am terrible at it.
    Last edited by Ddtediejm; 06-12-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Day two of intermediate training did not go so well. Not sure what exactly happened, if I ran out of gas, or just had crappy form, but my heavy dead lift, 330-which I have pulled in the last couple of weeks, I was barely able to break it off the ground today. Then, had issues trying to drop weight to get to one where I could pull it, and kept failing. So, tanked the dead lift today, and I am not too happy about that. I am hoping it is just getting used to the volume, and that I can come around on it. I have also decided that Andy Baker is much better at programming than I, so I picked up a copy of his Garage Gym Warrior and will start executing that program for the next 12 weeks starting next week. So let us see how that goes. Today's numbers for those interested:

Lt. Squat: 255x5x2
    Press: 140x5, 130x5x4-the press was my highlight today, as I have been struggling to get 5 reps of 140 up. Today I did it fairly easy, but kept to my back off sets for the volume. I am hoping that this will continue to move upward, as slowly as it goes. I started taking my micro plates with me in my gym bag, and will more than likely start using them again to push this and my bench along. I am also hoping that this was not the cause of my dead lift fail.
    DL: 280x5, I struggled with any other combos after my fail at 330. Tried 315, then 295, just didn't have the juice to pull it off the floor and was running out of time. So called it and headed to the showers to get ready for work. Only other thing I can think of, I did do some rowing yesterday, 20 min. for some cardio, but don't think that was the problem. I have been eating about 3000 calories or more the last week, sleep is as good as it usually gets (6-8 hours depending) so maybe it was a factor. I was also only giving myself 3 min. between sets on the "lighter" back off sets of Press and the Squat, so not sure what exactly happened today. I just know, I have to climb back up on that horse, and go at it again on Friday.

Why not video your lifts or contact a SS coach?

Hey Dd! I'm sorry to see the intermediate phase started out a little rough. I'm just a guy who has been lifting a couple years longer than you. As I said over in your other log, I looked it over and 27 weeks is a very long LP and you already ran out all the lifts except squats. Having just recently dropped a few pounds (nothing in comparison to your accomplishment), I can only imagine how tough that was. The biggest thing you probably need right now is patience. As you know, the gains you make in the first 2 or 3 months of LP are way, way faster than you will ever make later in your lifting career. You probably just have to get used to doing more work at lower weights and maybe doing some variations on the lifts, assistance and accessories. That's all part of the intermediate stage and can get things moving again.

If you're looking for a coach, the best would be to have an SSC who could see you in person, but I wouldn't do that more than a couple of sessions to get form dialed in. Squat, bench and deadlift are not that complicated. I know you went to WFAC already so you probably are set. For programming, Andy Baker is the intermediate programming mind of SS. He's trained a lot of guys past 30 and 40. He wrote the programs in PPSTv3 or BBRx and he takes clients if you can afford it. Matt Reynolds and the team at BBLOC have also taken many people at the stage you're at. If you're not far from him, I'm sure he'd give you a session, but they might only be taking on clients for 3 months and up. They've also got a few registered dieticians on staff. You also have probably seen that Rip is starting an online coaching directory. They all know what works, but TBH you just need to get used to slower gains.

For me, I have a gym membership and don't have hundreds of dollars a month to spend on coaching, so I got an SSC to check my form when I was at the end of my LP. Then I did some of Andy's programming. It's on page 266 of the BBRx, but included assistance exercises and back-off work at the end of the workouts like close grip BP, tricep extensions, incline DB press, shrugs, stiff-leg deadlifts. I think those things helped me build some more muscle so my bench and press went up, but squats and deadlifts still didn't move until I was pulling more often. I did some free rts inspired programming from bbm and izzy. Those have more variations for the light days with front, tempo, paused squats and similar variations for deadlifts. In the end, it was a lot of stuff to get my deadlift from 150kg to 180kg. Now looking back that number isn't that important to me. I pull 150kg in training while losing some fat over the last few weeks.
    Last edited by VikingCellist; 06-14-2019 at 06:37 AM.

I have tried various times to video myself. For some reason, I only ever catch the top of my head, or have a real crappy angle. I don't feel comfortable asking strangers to video me as I am lifting either. The SSC is a bit out of my range at the moment. We are trying to pay down some debt and finally get out of the mortgage on the house. Once finances are a bit more stable, I should be able to pursue some on line coaching...that is, if I can ever get a good video of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingCellist View Post
    The biggest thing you probably need right now is patience.
    Thanks for checking in and looking my log over Viking! I think that statement right there is the focal point I need to keep. I really want to get my Dead Lift up there with Carson (I have seen that video, and got jealous....but, keep working at it to finally catch up) but as they say, this is a marathon and not a sprint. So, I will keep nugging away at it. As I did this morning. Today was Medium day, so not as strenuous. I also did Power Cleans rather than Deadlifts, so something else to be frustrated at myself! I like to do them, I think Oly lifts are cool...but I feel rather clumsy and awkward doing them, but still go at them anyway. I know I will never be "explosive" anymore (not unless I use C4) but still like to train them. I am also thinking the four day split is going to have to be the way to go as I move up, as I was feeling a few of the sets this morning. 270 is what I used for "medium" and in the past, 275 has felt "light". Today, not so much. Sean gave me advice to try and do the One day on, two days off as I was nearing the end of LP, and I was doing okay with that. For some reason, I just thought a M, W,F would be better for me, but alas, I think it will be time to try four day split, or back to the one on, two off. Anyway, enough rambling, so here are today's winning numbers:

Squat:270x5x4: again, felt a bit heavier than it has in the past.
    Bench:190x5x4: These gave me no problems, and I rested 3 min. in between sets. I gave myself 5 min. rest on the squats, but think 3 was adequate for these.
    PC:125x3x5: Still fumbling around, but I didn't injure myself, nor embarrass myself too much doing these.

Think next week, I will tinker with my log book and give the four day split a chance. I was going to start Andy Baker's GGW, but realized, the week after I am heading out to Boise Idaho for vacation (Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association national convention) so it would be silly to start in on that program then take a week off.

Tinkering around this week with a four day split. I cut off about a half hour in the training session due to only focusing on two lifts (Press and Bench) but not sure how to feel about it at the moment. I felt kind of stiff jumping into the Press without having done squats first. In fact, I did some squat warm ups (5x2@45) just to get the blood going a bit before I started my Press. I also didn't get my 140 up across the board for all three sets, and ended up doing a back off set just to complete. The Light Bench went easier though. I take a week off next week, so just kind of seeing what kind of time I will save. I think I will probably stick to the full body work out, just revert back to one day on, two off as I was doing at the end of my LP. Not too many numbers to report, but here they are:

Press:5@140, 3@140, 2@140. Not sure what is kicking my ass with these, but still working on getting them up. I did one back off set, 5@130 just to feel like I actually finished more than one set.
    Lt. Bench: 3x5@190. Probably not as "light" as I should go, but it still worked. Finished up the whole thing around 0630 this morning, so only took an hour. That is the plus side to the split, but again, I felt a bit off, and not quite in my "groove" by not doing squats first. I have three more to go, so we shall see how I feel at the end of the week.

Day two of the four day split. Again, just playing around with it, as next week I head out on vacation, so will only get one day of training in. I plan to start Andy Bakers GGW when I return, so just seeing how I feel doing my training this way. One thing for sure, I do save some time, as I was in no danger of being late for work, as I am the days I do a full body work out. I still think I prefer the full body work out though, maybe it is just all in my head from years of doing the SHT work outs as Coach Rip calls them (sweaty, hot and tired). Anyway, today was squat day, and I threw in some Romanian Dead Lifts to try and help me get my lower back set for when I hit regular Dead Lifts on Friday. Still was finished by 0630, so again an hour to knock out two exercises.

Squat:290x5x3: These didn't' feel as "heavy" as they have working up to them. Depth wasn't the greatest, but wasn't half squats or quarter squats either, so progress is being made. Too bad a break is coming up.
    RDL:220x8x3: Never really did these before. I watched the BBL video and thought I would give them a shot to help with my lower back. I tend to get "comfortable" in my Dead Lift, and then I start dropping my hips. They really worked and grilled on me at the Seminar I went too, but it has crept out of me again, and I am trying to get it back.

Day three of four day split was Bench and light Press. Gym was kind of crowded, but I found a station to work in. I got in at 0530, and was finished by 0630 that is definitely a plus time wise for me as I am usually running a little late to work after I shower, hit up a DFAC for breakfast and get out to my work location (we are on the back side of Fort Leonard Wood-a good drive away from everything else).

Bench: 200x5x3: No real issues with these today. I think I lost some tightness during the second set around rep three, but was still able to crank out two more reps. Last set had no issues.

Press:130x5x3: only the last rep of the first set gave me any issues, and I felt myself half-way push-press on that one. Other than that, it was a fairly easy day. I do miss squats believe it or not. I think I prefer the total body work outs, but man I am saving a lot of time doing it this way. Will definitely have to relook this when I get off vacation.

starting strength coach development program
    Wrapped up the fourth day of the split today, light squat and dead lift. Gym was fairly empty, so easy to get in and out. The time saving of this system is great, but I think I feel more tired after this week than I have in the past. Not sure if it is getting up early an extra day, and back to back, or if it is just getting used to a new schedule. I head out on vacation next week, so will only really get in a Monday training session. So we shall see what the future brings.

Squat: 255x5x3: Really had no issues with these at all. I always think when I get under this "light" weight that this used to be heavy to me.

Deadlift:280x5x2: I was a bit upset with myself again with these, thinking that 280 used to feel light, and now I am losing form pulling this weight. The warm ups and and the first set were fine, but the second set was a bit of a struggle. Weight was kicking out away from me, so I reset myself, worked on "feeling heavy" in my hands, chest up, hips in my pocket, etc. I had thought about jumping up in weight, but decided to take the advice and not go heavier until I get this form down better. I thought it was coming along, as during the warm ups I could feel that bar floating up as I tightened and lifted my chest. I thought I was way off, until I was in the shower and it dawned on me..I buzzed through the sets, and never did rest between them. Duh! So yeah, the second set probably did feel heavy after that. Oh to be in my 30's again..or 40's for that matter. I am holding on to being 53 as long as I can, as in two months, I hit 54. Time is not our friends that is for sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast