starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ddtediejm's H/L/M

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First and last training session for the week, I am off on a motorcycle adventure tomorrow and the rest of the week, so will have to rely on hotel gyms if I am able to work out at all. Empty gym today for the most part, did a full body work out, feeling a little tired, as I did not sleep as well as I wanted. Gained another half pound as well, as the wife and I ate out twice this weekend, and I am sure I will be putting on a few more as I travel around. Anyway, here are todays numbers:

Squat:290x5x3, just keeping this in the ball park of where I ended my LP. Will pick this up when I get back and hit the Garage Gym Warrior program. Didn't want to go too heavy, nor too light at this point.
    Bench:200x5x3: was pretty pleased. 200lbs is beginning to feel "light" as it were. No real grind until my last set, although on my second set, I caught my head coming off the bench. Tightened that up for the last set.
    Dead Lift:290x5x2: rested 5 min. between sets this time. Still had some back rounding on that second set. I can pick up the weight...but my form needs to tighten up. At lower weights, I can feel the bar leave the ground as I squeeze up my chest, but for some reason I start to screw it up when it gets into my "heavy" zone.

But, off to Idaho for a week. I will pop in on my phone to see if anything exciting is happening on the forums, but other than that, see you all next week.

Back from a week long break. Idaho was nice, the ride out was great, coming back..not so much. Hit a nice rain shower in Vail Pass that quickly turned to hail and sleet. The temperature was in the 50's, which doesn't sound too terribly cold, but I was coming in from the lower lands and the temperature had been pushing 90, so that rapid a drop, I was one cold and wet miserable biker. I had my rain gear, which helped some, but I pulled off for about a half hour as the hard stuff just kept coming down. Monday, coming back to Missouri from Colorado took me about 12 hours, so my backside and body were feeling it a bit. I got back to the gym today, and did a full body work out, but kept the weights light to what I had been working. Glad I did as well, as I still feel the road. Here are my numbers:

Squat: 275x5x3: Felt a little heavy on the working sets. But getting my groove back. Same with all the lifts today really.
    Press:130x5x3
    Deadlift:285x5x2-still working on getting that back straight when the weight gets over 250. I feel the bar "float" when it is the warm up sets, but as it gets heavier, not sure if I am rushing it, or what, but I never seem to get that back set like I should. I will continue to work it. Good to be back home, and I even lost a pound on the road (226 was my weight today) just hope I didn't lose any of my strength.

Vacation is over, new week, and I kicked off Andy Baker's Garage Gym Warrior today. It seems we start a little lighter than where my LP left off, but definitely more volume than just three sets of 5. I am hoping not to be sore tomorrow, because after my last session, I had some DOMS for a few days. Saturday, which was supposed to be my last training session got canned for work, but back into it today.

Squats:220xx4x6: Weight felt a bit light for me, coming down from 290, but form was good.
    Press: 100x4x6: Same with press, had been used to 130 and higher, but more volume today.
    Deadlift:230x3x6: Lighter than my "light" light days, but I think the form is starting to take hold. I was able to hear the "clink" of the weight against the bar prior to pulling it off the ground-the "feel heavy in your hand" step. I attribute some of it to the new queue of "put your belly between your thighs" as I am cranking my chest up. So, not a bad session. I shortened rest times for these weights to 3 min in between, and had no issues making it to work on time. We shall see if that is the case when the sets get heavier, but first day, and off and running.

Second session of GGW is now in the books. I know it was a "light" day, and I don't question the man who developed the program, but it felt really light for me today. Again, if there are errors in the weights I used, it was all due to my fuzzy math rather than the percentages laid out in the program. I know it will pick up as I progress, but after coming out of LP..these made me feel like I could have left the belt at home. Anyway, here are my numbers:

Squats:185x4x6
    Bench:145x4x6
    Barbell Row:150x4x8

I was pleased to be finished rather quickly again, as I only rested for 3 min. between squat sets, and 2 for bench and the rows.

Wrapped up my first week with GGW today. I know I am working up as I go, but still felt rather light after LP.

Squats: 205x3x6
    Press:105x4x6
    DL:225x1x6-I screwed up my math on this one, so was about 5 lbs lighter than it should have been. On the plus side, I am finally getting my form back, with all these, so that is definitely a plus. And, I am not showing up a little late to work.

Been rather busy at work as of late, and missed posting this yesterday, so here goes:
    Squats;235x4x6
    Press:105x4x5
    Dead lifts:215x5x3-rather on the light end, but I do light day with the "heavy" squat and heavy dl with med. squat day, or at least it seems that way in the program. I would throw out the percentages of my guestimated one rep max, but I know Coach Baker sells this program, and I don't want to interfere with his ability to make his money.

Been off site from my computer at work, and hadn't had much of a chance to post up my training results. Still working on the Garage Gym Warrior program by Andy Baker, and still getting finished in a decent time. I know the heavier stuff is around the corner, so I am patient as I do the program. Again, if my numbers are off, it is due to my negligence and not the program. The weight seems a bit light to start with, but I am recently off LP, and dipping into more intermediate waters.
    17 July:
    Squats: 205x5x2-real light day
    Bench: 155x5x4
    Barbell Row: 155x6x4-I am to find a weight I can row 6 times with good form. I really never dipped into these, as I stuck to Power Cleans (although, I am not the greatest at those either) so still trying to zero in a working weight with these.

19 July
    Squats: 215x5x3-felt like old LP days to be honest. I do find that I do not lose form very much lately.
    Press: 110x5x4
    Deadlift: 250x5x1

Still nugging away at it, even though it has been hot as hell around here as of late. Still working on getting stronger.

Back at it today. Kind of ramping up the weight still. Crowded gym due to the rain, but found a spot and was able to work uninterrupted for the most part. Today was 4's instead of fives.

Squats: 250x4x4
    Press: 110x4x3
    Deadlift:230x4x3

Walked at lunchtime as well, 40 mins. Just to keep the blood moving and my head clear.

Trying to play catch up again this week. Another week off site, another round of training complete.

Wed.
    Squat:215x2x4-Light Squat day
    Bench:165x4x4
    Barbell Row:185x4x4

Friday:
    Squat:230x3x4
    Press:115x4x4
    DL:265x1x4

This week seemed to be about doing "fours" instead of fives. I would have to remind myself, as my muscle memory is still in tune with five. There was also a dead lift competition at my Army gym on Wed. Every time the Marines would lift, the guys would play "In the Navy" for them. When the Hospital group would lift, it was either "Like a Surgeon" or "Dr. Feelgood". I thought it humorous. I did not have time to stick around to watch, as I had to get back to my site.

starting strength coach development program
    Started off week four today of the Garage Gym Warrior. Seems this week the theme is 6.
    Squats:230x4x6
    Press: 100x3x6
    Dead lift: 2153x6

Last week was four, week before was 4s and 5s. I have to remind myself to not do 5s anymore. Gym wasn't too terribly crowded, despite a rain storm that hit around the start of the Army's PT time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast