starting strength gym
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I am Ed's 4 Day HL Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by EdPurvee View Post
    I haven't really gained anything for probably three weeks. It's not like I'm skipping meals. I'm eating until I feel sick and my calories approach 4k per day and I'm getting over 200g of protein. I'm wondering if I need to try GOMAD or something.
    Make sure you're eating red meat at least 3 times a week.
    Assuming you don't have an existing condition that limits this, make sure you keep your sodium level up. I experienced light headedness, nausea and vomiting when I used to lift weights when I was young. It was caused by not adding enough sodium to my diet. Iodized salt is probably best - iodine is good for thyroid health.

Put in a blender, ice, 600ml of milk, banana, and 2 eggs. Drink it right before sleeping.

You should start to see improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    Make sure you're eating red meat at least 3 times a week.
    Assuming you don't have an existing condition that limits this, make sure you keep your sodium level up. I experienced light headedness, nausea and vomiting when I used to lift weights when I was young. It was caused by not adding enough sodium to my diet. Iodized salt is probably best - iodine is good for thyroid health.

Put in a blender, ice, 600ml of milk, banana, and 2 eggs. Drink it right before sleeping.

You should start to see improvement.
    I appreciate the advice. I'm eating red meat more than 3x's a week currently. I'm probably sitting at 5 or more. I'm not sure that I'm lacking sodium. I haven't really been avoiding processed foods. At night I've been taking two scoops of whey with two cups of milk. I'll try adding a banana, and will experiment with trying eggs right before bed.

I was actually doing 9 minute rests.
    That should be enough but you can try longer. You sure your doing valsalva correctly? How tight is your belt?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    That should be enough but you can try longer. You sure your doing valsalva correctly? How tight is your belt?
    I need to buy a new belt actually. It is now too tight. I've had to stop using a belt on the dead lift as it was preventing me from getting my back fully set. The lower position for squatting hasn't caused problems that I've noticed but I do have a new one on the way that can handle my now larger waist.

8/29/2019

Press - 142.5x3x5
    Bench - 200x5x3

Heavy day on the press. Passed another weight, and while the last rep was slow, it wasn't a nail biter. So making decent progress on that lift. Bench my bar speed has improved for the light day. So happy with both workouts today.

I need to buy a new belt actually. It is now too tight. I've had to stop using a belt on the dead lift as it was preventing me from getting my back fully set. The lower position for squatting hasn't caused problems that I've noticed but I do have a new one on the way that can handle my now larger waist.
    Have you tried a 3" for the DL? While waiting for your belt you could prolly get a leather punch and add a hole to carry you over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Have you tried a 3" for the DL? While waiting for your belt you could prolly get a leather punch and add a hole to carry you over.
    I have ordered a 3" belt as a replacement. I hadn't really thought of trying to punch a hold in my current belt but I might try to give it a go. Appreciate the suggestion!

8/30/2019

Squat - 255x5x3
    Deadlift - 355x1x0 *no, that's not a typo

Bar speed work on the squat went fine. My warmups on the deadlift seemed to be fine, but when I went for the work set which was a planned 355x1x5 after I did 350 last week, I didn't break it off the floor. I thought I must have just had some break of concentration or something. I stepped back for a minute. Carefully set back up, and while I broke it off the floor, didn't even get it to my knees. I don't know what happened. If I did 350 last time, I should have at least have been able to get a triple out of this. I'm going to go back tomorrow to try again to make sure it wasn't some weird fluke.

This happens to everyone at some point with DL. Sleep well, eat well, rest a day and give it a try. Or continue with your program and reprogram this lift for next week. Squat fatigue can get you on DL as well. Don't over think it. Just try to be rested and well fed for the next round.

starting strength coach development program
    9/2/2019

Bench - 240x3x1
    Press - 130x5x3

Decided not to reattempt the deadlift on sunday, opted to retry on Friday this week. First full set of singles on the bench. Think I should have gone up to 245 as it was a bit on the easy side, but I'll keep doing the 5 lbs jumps. Bar speed was good on the press workout, so a good day overall.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast