Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: I am Ed's 4 Day HL Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    9/3/2019

Squat - 335x3x3
    RDL - 245x5x3

Squat was challenging on the first and 2nd set's last rep. On the last set, the last rep seem to go up a little easier, so that was nice. RDL was starting to feel harder, but I was able to do my reps with only 2 minutes of rest, so I'm probably going to do another 20 lbs jump but that will be the last one and will go to 10 lbs jumps on it if it continues to be overly easy.

9/5/2019

Press - 145 4,3,3
    Bench - 200x5x3

Heavy day on the press. Failed the first attempt at 5 so I moved to triples and will do that until it is exhausted.

9/6/2019

Squat - 255x5x3
    Deadlift - 355x1x5

Had decent bar speed on the light squat but think it could be better. After the humiliating failure to get the bar up once last week, successfully pulled that same weight today. I'm happy to be back and don't know what happened last time but glad it wasn't something that was sticking around.

9/9/2019

Bench - 245x3x1
    Press - 130x5x3

Heavy singles on the bench. Was a challenge where each was slow but got it done. Bar speed on press was alright, but was hoping it would have been better by now.

9/10/2019

Squat - 340x3x3
    RDL - 265x3x5

Squat seemed to go well. Last set seemed to be better than the first two. RDL still felt relatively easy at the higher weight. I'm going to go ahead and do another 20 lbs bump again.

9/12/2019

Press - 150x3x3
    Bench - 200x5x3

Press went well. Bench I'm not sure I improved my bar speed.

9/13/2019

Squat - 255x5x3
    Deadlift - 360 1 * first fail at this weight

Started with the light squat, not sure my bar speed improved on this one either. The warms ups for the deadlift felt alright. I was using my new 3" belt that is longer so it can accommodate my now larger gut. Set up for the work set, and went about trying to pull it. Got it up to just under my knees and it went back down. I stepped away, determined I was going to get one knocked out. I set back up, managed to complete one rep. Hoping that had broken the funk I tried to get another rep in and like the first fail, didn't get it to my knees. I re-racked the weights and slunk away in defeat. This is fricken weird. I can't believe going up just 5 lbs would have caused this much of a problem. I know I'm using a new belt but I would have thought I would do better belted than without.

9/16/2019

Bench - 250x3x1
    Press - 130x5x3

Singles on the bench were definitely slow, but I don't think I was really in danger of failing. I'm thinking that 255 will be a different story but I'll see next week. I was happy with the bar speed on the press. I think I've made improvements there.

9/17/2019

Squat - 345x3x3
    RDL - 285x3x5
    Chin Up - 3,3,5* green band

Squat seemed to go well. Last rep was a big grind, but I would expect triples to always be like that if you were working close to max for that rep range. RDL wasn't necessarily easy like the previous times so I'll take a 10 lbs jump on the next one. Chin Ups I'm still weak on. I'll just keep on working them. I tried starting with body weight before moving to green band since I don't want to just be using a band forever and felt like it might not hurt to at least start moving in that direction.

9/19/2019

Press - 155 3,2; 160x1x1
    Bench - 200x5x3

Hit my first triple at 155, then failed the second. I think if I had taken a little more rest I could have got it, but decided I'll just call it here and move to singles on the lift. Bench my speed wasn't all that great. I think I'm going to push the rest all the way to 2 minutes just to try to make sure bar speed stays the focus of this workout.

starting strength coach development program
    9/20/2019
    Deadlift - 360 0 * second fail, 345 0

So today was a horrific failure. I failed to break the bar more than a few inches off the floor. I removed my belt, waited a minute to see if it was interfering with me setting my back, another failure. I dropped 15 lbs waited 6 minutes attempted at that weight, and yet another failure. At that point I saw no reason to bother with anything further and skipped my light squat. The only thing I can think of is that I must have some failure in my form since there is no reason I should go from 355x1x5 to not getting a single rep at 360. I'm going to deload to 325, and I'm also going to drop my squat and go back to 5's. Since my squat was way too close to the deadlift, I'm going to drop the squat down to 250 to have a good 75 lbs between them, then I will not allow the squat to be less than 50 lbs difference and will hold it there. However first priority will be to unfuck this fucked lift. Going to get a tripod and see if I can look at myself to identify what is wrong and try to get some form checks.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast