starting strength gym
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: I am Ed's 4 Day HL Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Ed,

Look at your log this week. Everything is grindy and hard. My gut is your accumulated fatigue from 6 weeks of solid programming is catching up to you. Where is your weight at? I'm not sure you need a deload or that you have a problem with form but form checks are always useful. I think you need a low intensity/low volume week to let your body recover a bit more and then come back at this weeks programming at least with squat and deads. Bench and press you may be able to get away with pushing through, your call. Don't overthink this. These are the signals your body gives you to help you adjust your programming. Adjust, make note and see what works.

My weight is right around 210 and it has been stubbornly sticking there. Around a month ago or more I was at 207 so the weight has not been coming up despite eating a lot, and making sure my protein intake was good. I have trouble taking in more calories as I'm eating so much it's making me feel sick. I'm looking forward to hitting my mid term strength goals just so I can start cutting and take a break on stuffing my face. I'll take your advice and have a light week. I had just thought if I was really that worn out my other lifts would have been worse however thinking about it, I think I did need to move to singles on the press a little early, and I had thought I would have got another round of triples from my bench. So there are signs that I might have been needing a light week.

9/23/2019

Bench 210x3x5

Doing a light week, so will only be doing one lift a day at a little under the last heavy 5 rep workout successfully done. Bench went well today.

9/24/2019

Squat 300x3x5

Squat felt fairly easy. Was taking around 5 minute rests.

9/26/2019

Press 135x3x5

No issues with the press at all. Was taking close to 5 minute rests.

9/27/2019

Deadlift - 335x1x5

This was supposed to be an easy workout, at the end of an easy week. While I was able to pull this weight, I had to work to get lockout on my last rep. I guess I must have suddenly lost strength on this lift. I'm trying to think what might have happened and the only rapid change I can think of is I added a belt back in when I got my 3" belt. I think I might attempt without a belt next week at 345, but after the difficulty I had with this weight I don't think I'm going to immediately test 360 next week.

Any chance you can post a video of your deadlift?

I need to get a tripod, or get someone to film me. I might just do that, but feel really weird about asking someone.

9/30/2019

Bench - 222.5x3x5
    Press - 130x5x3

Had a pretty strong success on the bench. Considering the last time I didn't even hit 5 reps, and really each set I didn't struggle. Last rep was slow but not a grind. Press my bar speed was decent.

10/1/2019

Squat - 320x3x5
    RDL - 290x3x5

I had figured I was stronger at the squat as my triples had been moving pretty good. Passed 320 when I had three fails at it to end my NLP, so it was nice to pass this. It was not easy. Last rep wasn't a nail biter but it was a hard effort. RDL was a relatively easy pass. Trying not to make it a hard workout though as I want my dead lift to move up, so if there was a hard effort in the RDL I would have backed off.

starting strength coach development program
    10/2/2019

Press - 145 4,4,5
    Bench - 205x5x3

While I did fail on the first two sets of the press, I do know what happened. I was not paying enough attention to my form. My first set I wasn't really getting my hips forward with the bow motion and on my second rep the bar was too far forward and it probably burned me out. Second set I didn't have the bar too forward but I wasn't getting the good pop going. Third set I correct those issues and completed all five. It's still a fail for today but I know the fail wasn't a result of not being strong enough to move the weight. Bench bar speed was just alright. It was my first time doing the bar speed workout at this weight so I wasn't going to be too critical of it for now.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast