Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: I am Ed's 4 Day HL Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5/7/2020

Press - 142.5x3x5
    CGB - 195 8,8,6
    Tricep - *85 10,10,7

Comfortable pass on the press. I think I could have probably done 145 to match my pr at 5 today, but I was sticking with the plan. Close grip bench went well, got the first set at 8, and no reps went bellow 5 so still will add weight next week. Lying tricep extensions were very tough. Didn't get 10 for all the sets so repeating weight. Pretty solid workout.

Squat - 225x3x5
    Deadlift - 330x1x5
    Shrugs - 215x3x20

Modified my light squat to do 3x5 instead of the 5x3 as I wanted to film more and work on getting depth and forward lean. Highly disappointed. I think I'm going to almost need to completely reset with super light weights until I can consistently hit depth and forward lean. It's really *insert long stream of expletives* frustrating. Deadlift went well as the 330 wasn't a problem. Only mistake I made was not setting my back hard enough on last rep but still went up. Shrugs were no problem.

5/11/2020

Bench - 222.5x3x5
    Press - 130x5x3

Successful day. I think I might have been able to have done 225 today on the bench as everything was going up pretty good, and really only my very last rep was slow but wasn't in grind territory. Either way I'm happy since when I hit 225 again, I'll be where I left off, at least on the bench.
    Last edited by EdPurvee; 05-12-2020 at 06:26 PM.

5/12/2020

Squat - 245x3x5
    SLDL - 220x2x8
    Chin Ups - Greenband 10,10,9

So I think I did better on my squats getting depth and leaning over today. I took more time and was more deliberate about it. Stiff Legs went well, and had the best session of the chin ups I've had, almost ready to move to a lighter band.

5/14/2020

Press - 145x3x5
    CGB - 197.5 8,7,6
    LTE - 85x3x10

Press was overall a strong pass. It's also the first time I did a full 3 sets of 5, as I this matched my 5 rep PR from before but I was doing a single heavy with 4 back off sets so I would say I'm strong at this lift now probably. Close grip bench went well. Met the mark of one set at 8 and no sets dropping bellow 5. I'm doing 2.5 lbs jumps on it now. Lying tricep extension was a very hard pass. I'll be doing 2.5 lbs jumps if not smaller increments on that one. Think it was a good workout today.

5/15/2020

Squat - 225x3x5
    Deadlift - 335x1x5
    Shrugs - 220x3x20

Thought the squat was going good at first, I was focusing on starting with my chest up to have my back locked as I leaned forward and maintain the forward lean on the way up. First set looked good on my recording, then it seemed like I stopped making depth. Looks like I still have a lot of work to do on it. Deadlift wasn't really a lot better. On my work set the bar kept swinging away from my shins on the initial pull. I think I wasn't setting my back. Also my hook grip didn't hold and after the second rep switched to alternating grip. Still finished it, but I think that initial swing away from my body is killing me. Still passed but a pretty ugly way to pass. At least nothing went wrong with the shrugs.

5/18/2020

Bench - 225x3x5
    Press - 132.5x5x3

Good workout. I matched my 5 rep pr on the bench and for the first time completed 3 sets of 5 at 225. And while last rep was slow, it wasn't a nail biter. So nice to have a workout that I would say has exceeded what I've done on this lift to date. Press had good speed so I was happy with that workout.

5/19/2020

Squat - 255x3x5
    SLDL - felt a sharp pain in what seemed like the right hip flexor and around in back on the lower right side. Tried 15 body weight movements and pain seemed to get worse so stopped
    Chin Ups - Green Band 13,10,10

So on the squat seemed fine. Was filming my form, and while not perfect it seems to be improving. After the deadlift last week I had felt some pain in my lower back on the right side and have had a little bit of problems bending over, but was hoping it was just some bad soreness and would work itself out. On the stiff legs, on first warm up, breaking the bar off the floor was fine but right around when the bar was at knee level or a little higher, my right hip flexor, or at least what felt like a single muscle in that area had a sharp pain up to lockout. Tried a few more reps and it didn't subside. Attempted to do the motion without the bar and while it was painless at first it seemed the more I did them the pain came back and almost got sharper so I stopped. I'm going to play it by ear but I don't know if deadlifts will be in the cards come Friday. I'm surprised I was without pain on the squats with this. Chin ups went well and I'll be moving to the next lighter band now.

5/21/2020

Press - 147.5x3x5
    CGB - 200x3x8
    LTE - 87.5 10,10,7

Press went really good. I would even go as far to say that it was an easy pass. The very last rep wasn't even what I would call a slow one. Definitely had 150 in the tank today. Hopefully next week will go this well too. Close grip bench also went well, got 8 on all the reps. Last rep was slow but it wasn't a killer. Lying tricep extension was a killer though. Ran out of steam on third set. It's just an accessory lift so no worries. Good day.

starting strength coach development program
    5/22/2020

Squat - 265x3x5
    Deadlift - 340x1x1 * fail
    Shrugs - 225x3x20

Started moving the squat weight up and will use both workouts a week to go up until I hit around 300, then I'll go to once per week for heavy. I was worried going into the deadlift from tuesday's workout. Warm ups seemed to go well. Got my first work rep up, then it was like I couldn't take the slack out of the bar and couldn't break it off the floor. Did the shrugs then after the workout was over started getting that same sharp pain that was bothering me before. I think I'm going to deload the deadlift next week since I'm not really handling the current weight, and looks like I'm rehabing a muscle problem of some kind.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast