Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: I am Ed's 4 Day HL Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5/25/2020

Bench - 227.5x3x5
    Press - 132.5x5x3

Very happy with the workout today. Bench was a new 5 rep PR, and while the last rep was slow it was still not a full on grind. I'm feeling good about hitting 230 next week with how this one went. Had good speed on the press so all successful today.

5/26/2020

Squat - 275x3x5
    SLDL - 225x2x8
    Pull Ups - Purple band 7,6,5

Squat went well. Was recording and appeared I was getting depth. Not too sure about my forward lean, however not experiencing any pain, and overall the lift still feels sub-maximal so lift is going good. While I felt that issue with my side a little on the stiff legs, there was no sharp pain and really the discomfort I felt was after the lift, the lift itself didn't hurt. Moved to the next lighter band and will be working from that until I hit 10 across. Felt today was successful.

5/28/2020

Press - 150x3x5
    CGB - 202.5 8,8,7
    LTE - 87.5 10,10,7

Wasn't feeling great for most of the day, and almost messed up my first set of press with bad form on last rep of that first set. Second went fine, and on third last rep was a little slow. Definitely going to be more challenging on this lift going forward. Close grip bench went well. Got first set to 8 and nothing dropped bellow 5 so moving up again. Lying tricep extension had about the same reps as last time, but not really a problem. I'll just keep trucking on. Despite not feeling great, successful workout.

5/29/2020

Squat - 285x3x5
    Deadlift - 315 1

Squat went well. Made a big mistake on deadlift. I had initially planned on dropping to 285 so I wouldn't aggregate whatever that injury is, but then decided 315 would be good enough, it wasn't. Got the first rep up, then on the second had the sharp pain. Really stupid on my part. Called the workout at that point. I think I'm dropping to a really safe 225, if not less, and only work on form making sure I'm getting the back completely set as I think that has been part of my issue, and to let the injury heal up rather than keep aggravating it over and over again. I think that since my low back is always sore I think I probably haven't been activating my hamstrings and glutes. I need to fix that lift.

6/1/2020

Bench - 230x3x5
    Press - 135x5x3

Successful day. Another 5 rep PR and pass on the bench. Last rep was slow but it wasn't a 100% grind. Not saying I had the 232.5 today but I would have had a fighting chance at it. Had decent bar speed on the press. Overall happy. A nice bright spot with the deadlift having gone nowhere anyway.

6/2/2020

Squat - 295x3x5
    Chin Ups - Purple band 8,6,5
    RDL - 45x1x20

So today was my first time squatting with my lifting shoes that I just got. I honestly wasn't expecting a whole lot but it seemed like I was able to make depth easier. However I know I have been focusing on reaching depth so I am not sure if it is just related to that. Now I'm at a weight where the squats are slow and some effort was required unlike the others up to this point. Got one more rep on the chin ups so there was a little progress there. I did some Romanians with just the bar. I could feel my right side following the squats but it isn't bad like it gets from the deads.

6/4/2020

Press - 152.5 5,5,4 *first fail at this weight
    CGB - 205 8,8,6
    LTE - 87.5 10,10,8

I thought I had the press, but I think a loss of concentration on the last rep caused me to not get it, and the last rep on the prior two was a bit of a grind. I didn't have anything left to try to get that very last one after messing up the initial arch and push. Close grip went well, weight is definitely getting more challenging. Lying tricep extension was slightly better than last week but still need to repeat the weight.

6/5/2020

Squat - 300x3x5
    Deadlift - 225x1x5
    Shrugs - 230x3x20

Did another heavy day on the squat since Tuesday I won't be able to lift. While it was not easy I was in no danger of failing at all. Deadlift was intentionally light to avoid re-aggravating whatever is going on with my side, only mildly felt it today, and to build upon something. I'll probably do 20-40 lbs jumps depending on if I feel anything from the side during warmups. Focused heavily on straitening back and pushing with the legs off the floor. Shrugs went well. So a decent end to the week.

6/8/2020

Bench - 232.5x3x5
    Press - 135x5x3

Worked out in the morning since I'll be hiking for the next 2.5 days and wanted to get the workout in before leaving. Bench went real good with another PR. Last rep was slow and a little grindy but I'm not going to say it was a nail biter. I think next week I have 235 in me. Press had good bar speed. So upper body lifts doing real good. I've almost added 10 lbs to my 5 rep on the bench, and really have added 10 lbs to the weight I was able to get three full sets of five with since before losing all that time I never got a full three sets at 225.

starting strength coach development program
    6/11/2020

Press - 160x3x3
    CGB - 207.5 7,6,6 * first fail at this weight
    LTE - 87.5x3x10

After the fail at the press am now shifting into the volume cycling, so triples were the name of the game today. The triples on the press were a PR for me, and it felt like I had the 162.5 in me today. Close grip was not so great but I was expecting a hard workout overall after two nights out on the Appalachian trail, however just barely missed passing the weight if I had gotten my 8 on the first set. So I repeat the weight, no biggie. Lying tricep extension went well and passed the weight, so 90 next time.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast