starting strength gym
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I am Ed's 4 Day HL Log

Default I am Ed's 4 Day HL Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,
    Just finished NLP. Here is a link to my SS Log.
    Starting weight: 180
    Current weight: 208.4
    Squat PR - 5 rep 315
    Bench PR - 5 rep 220
    Press PR - 5 rep 137.5
    Deadlift PR - 5 rep 335

For intermediate I will be using a 4 day split HL template
    Monday - Heavy bench, light press
    Tuesday - heavy squat, RDL
    Thursday - Heavy press, light bench
    Friday - Light squat, heavy deadlift

I'll begin adding CUs and Pull-ups in the coming weeks, just wanted to see how time management went as I have a limited amount of time in the gym starting this week.

Where my heavy squat, bench, and press will be 3x5, I'll start deadlift at 1x5 and will slowly transition to doing 3x5 probably over 12 weeks before I start with 3 full sets.
    Light squat will be between 80-85% of the last 5 rep, light bench and press will be 90-95% of the last 5 rep for 3x5 regardless of volume cycling for now but will transition to 5x3 as per the program I'll be doing longer term.

I'll be transitioning into Andy Baker's strength and mass after 40 program but will be easing into the 4 day split and increasing the volume slowly on the deadlift as I've only been doing 1x5 and that program does 3 sets of heavy deads. I will also be doing the volume cycling of sets of 5s, triples, singles after I've established some reps at the triples and singles range. So specifically when I miss a set at a 5 rep, I'll just use that weight for triples and run triples until a miss and use that weight for singles until I run three cycles of it or a miss, which ever comes first and will cycle from that point forward. I plan on doing a deload week after 9-12 total weekly cycles (3-4 of the volume cycles).

8/5/2019
    Bench - 220x3x5
    Press - 122.5x3x5

First workout. Passed the bench at the weight I had failed at twice. Light press was a little trying at the end due to having just benched and I was limiting rest to 3 minutes but none of the reps were slow or a grind. It was almost weird to not have the soul crushing fatigue from having squatted earlier. It was also awesome to finish up in under an hour instead of nearly 2. While I can't judge everything from the first day, this was a pretty good one.
    Last edited by EdPurvee; 08-07-2019 at 09:52 AM.

8/6/2019

Squat - 320x3x3
    RDL - 165x3x5

Failed on my first set of squat, so my planned 3x5 became my first 3x3. First workout doing RDLs and went with a conservative weight, will probably make some aggressive jumps on it in the coming weeks. I am very concerned about the squat. While I had failed twice previously at 320, my fails were trying to hit a 5th rep instead of a 4th rep failing. I'm worried that I've regressed in the squat, however hopefully with more recovery and cycling through heavier weights with less volume, I'll see some progress coming up.

Hey Ed,

Looking back at your NLP log regarding squat you went 7/29 @ 320 4,5,3; 8/2 320 x4 with a missed 5th and a drop to 300 for 2x5. Now your back at 8/6 trying 320 x5 which you failed. The reason you are out of NLP is you cannot recover fast enough to express the adaption in 24-48 hrs. Most will take a slight reset at the start of Intermediate mainly because if you didn't need to take a reset, you'd still be in NLP. FWIW, I'd recommend resetting squat to 305 and work back up from there with your new 4 day split. In 3 weeks if your hitting the heavy 320 day you should know your on the right track.

Hi Jeff,

I was actually wondering if going into intermediate I should take a small deload on my weights. I hesitated as I figured it would give me a chance to start doing triples and then into singles to start the cycle of 5s, triples, singles that Andy Baker has in the template I'm working towards. When I come back to 5s on the squat, I'll take your advice and start back on them in the 305 zone.

Got it. If your using your exiting position from NLP as the end of the 5's block and your moving into 3's as you feel the volume heavy 5's block has positioned you for a shift to higher intensity sets of 3's and subsequent 1's sounds good. How long does your program have you in 3's and 1's?

The program calls for a three week cycle of heavy days where week 1 using 5s, week 2 uses triples, and week 3 uses singles. There was not a template set up for establishing the initial triples and singles so I reached out to Andy and he said it was fine to run them until a miss, but to only do that for establishing them and then to run the three week cycle following that.

8/8/2019

Press - 135x3x5
    Bench - 200x3x5

Heavy day for the press. This was actually a weight I had done before, as I reset after failing at 140 three times, and it didn't really give me any problems. First light bench day, limited rest to under three minutes. Looking at next week, I'll probably add pull-ups to this day.

8/9/2019

Squat - 255x3x5
    Deadlift - 340x1x5

Easy day on the squat, heavy day on the deadlift. I had failed this weight on the deadlift twice before. I had noticed last week when I didn't wear my belt accidentally on my last warm up, it felt easier. My belt is a little too tight and I had noticed that I was having trouble looking up when getting set in the deadlift, and to put it on I was having to suck in my gut a little bit. Today I wanted to experiment with leaving my belt off. All I can say is this pass was easy. Had no problems getting set, while it was heavy, no issues moving it up. The belt must have been interfering for some time. I have to wonder if all my fails (2x's at 315, 1x at 325 and 2xs at 340) we due to this. I'll be getting a bigger belt, but I really think I could have been potentially at 370+ if I had fixed this earlier.

8/12/2019

Bench - 222.5x1x4, 225x2x3
    Press - 122.5x3x5

Heavy day on the bench, light day on the press. Started out trying to get 3x5 at 222.5 to progress at the 5 rep, but failed the last rep of the first set. So I decided I would just pivot to triples at that point. I bumped the weight up to 225, and last rep was slow, but I'll be continuing on triples doing 5 lbs jumps until first failure then I'll move to singles. Press I limited rest a little more to under 2 minutes and 45 seconds and the last rep was slow so I want to be careful as this is supposed to be light so I don't want to limit the rest where this becomes hard, but recovery wasn't a problem so I might not need to worry too much.
    Last edited by EdPurvee; 08-13-2019 at 05:55 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    8/13/2019

Squat - 325x3x3
    RDL - 185x3x5

Heavy squat day. While the triples were hard, have a fair amount of room to go up on weight. RDL was still fairly easy so I'll be doing at least another 20 lbs jump next week.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast