starting strength gym

Thread: Andy Baker's Rotating Linear Progression

Default Andy Baker's Rotating Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rotating Linear Progression - Initial Entry
    I'm in a schedule crunch for my next cycle, and have to keep workouts around 30 minutes each. So, texas method and HLM are out. Instead, I'm going with Andy Baker's Rotating Linear Progression, which is outlined here: What is a Rotating Linear Progression? - Andy Baker

The basic structure of a workout is:
    - One set of a main lift, very intense, near failure effort for 3-8 reps.
    - One backoff set of the same main lift for a few more reps than the first set.
    - One accessory movement.
    - Done.

Initially, I start at 8 reps, and add weight every workout like a linear progression. When I fail 8 reps, I try to linearly progress 7 reps for a few weeks, then when I fail, down to 6, and so on. When I am down to 3 reps, I start over at 8.

It's amazingly fast and efficient - you only warm up one movement, and the accessory movement usually doesn't require you to re-jigger the rack (like going from bench to close grip bench or LTE)

Previous Logs (from newest to oldest):
    Trying Texas Method for 90 days...
    Andy Baker's 14-week KISS made complicated
    Resolution 2019 - Get Stronger
    8-week surgery recovery log (no lifting)
    10-week pre-NLP plan (A.K.A. watch me do everything wrong!)
    Want to quit feeling like crap and improve diabetes...

Current (somewhat pathetic) lifts, all 5RM in pounds:
    Deadlift: 297.5lb
    Squat: 230lb
    Bench: 197.5lb
    Press: My ceilings are too low, so I don't press.

Current Body Stats:
    Height: 5'9.7"
    Weight: 183.8lb
    Neck: 15.75"
    Waist: 34"
    Body Fat (by Navy Calculator): 16.1%
    LBM (by Navy Calculator): 154lb
    Average morning/fasting blood sugar: 114
    Total Weight Gain since starting NLP in December 2019: Up 9.3lb
    Total LBM Gain in same time period: 9lb

If you've read this far and are interested, I log weekly here, but log workout-by-workout on Instagram as not.that.adam.levine.
    https://www.instagram.com/not.that.adam.levine/

I am no longer logging here, but am continuing to do so on Instagram and the Andy's Baker Barbell Club forum (The baker barbell club is a paid service, so you can't see that version of the log for free).

My program has become too divergent from Starting Strength principles.
    - Doing high-bar instead of low-bar squat
    - Not using any of the intermediate programs listed in Practical Programming
    - Doing more accessory lifts than would be prescribed for an early intermediate like myself

In short, my log really doesn't belong in the Starting Strength forum anymore, since it's not based on starting strength principles.

-->Adam

I wouldn't consider Baker to be *that* divergent from SS, philosophically. But it makes sense.

I've considered additional Andy Baker involvement, as some of his programming advice from his blog has helped me break deadlift plateaus. I keep thinking "not until I REALLY need to", though.

Best wishes as you move forward. I'll keep watching you on IG as I scroll through there (which isn't often).

Godspeed, man.

Just an FYI that I'm logging again in three locations. I still do not adhere to all of the SS dogma, but I thought what I was doing might be of niche interest, especially to folks with blood sugar issues.

I am logging weekly in the General Forums Area: Blood Sugar Target Training
    A better version of the weekly log with better images is available in the Baker Barbell forum, but is behind a paywall - for members only: Baker Barbell Club

Lastly, I log daily on Instagram with daily insights and videos of my lifts:
    Login • Instagram