• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    20200420 HLM
    [H] LBSQ 410x5, 360x5x5
    [H] BP 300x5, 310x4, 292x5x3
    [Asst] Front Squat 135x10x3
    [Asst] Chin Ups 1x8, 1x6, 1x9
    1/2mi run

Squat Notes: (1st set) Notes: Bar was not even across my back which exacerbated my form break down to a pretty large degree. the last rep was nothing but leg drive; absolutely no hip drive to speak of // RPE: 10- last rep was an all out grind // RIR: 0 (2nd set) Notes: Bar still uneven across my back. // RPE: 8 // RIR: 2 (3rd set) Notes: Bar was even and form was grooved a lot better. // RPE: 7 // RIR: 2-3 (4th set) Notes: Fatigue is starting to set in. // RPE: 8 // RIR: 1 (5th set) Notes: Rack position is starting to kill my R wrist // RPE: 8 // RIR: 1 (6th set) Notes: Wrist and elbows are torched // RPE: 8 // RIR: 1

Bench Notes: (1st set) Notes: Felt really solid and crisp on every rep. // RPE: 9 // RIR: 2 (2nd set) Notes: I believe that if I had programmed the 310 from the start I would have got it. // RPE: 10 // RIR: 1??? (3rd set) Notes: workout is starting to drag on at this point. I'm dropping the rest periods to 5 minutes // RPE: 8 // RIR: 2 (4th set) Notes: reduced rest period definetly changed the bar speed // RPE: 8 // RIR: 1-2 (5th set) Notes: /That was a complete ball buster / RPE: 10 // RIR: 0

Front Squat Notes: (3rd) set: Nice burn in the spinal erectors. Will stop since it is getting harder due to low back fatigue to hold front rack properly

Chin Ups Notes: Not a ton to say here

20200422 HLM
    [L] HBSQ 250x5x4
    [L] WGBP 261x5x4
    [H] Deadlift 395x5, 355x5x3
    [Asst] Good Morning's 95x10x4

Squat Notes: (All sets) Nice light/ non-overloading session today. I had some patella tendonopathy that was bad enough to warrant a snug ace bandage. However I left feeling better than how I came in // RPE: 6 =no slowdown between reps // RIR: 5+

WGBP Notes: (1st set) Mild R wrist pain but otherwise fine // RPE: 6 // RIR: 5+ (2nd set) Had to throw some wrist straps on due to continued R wrist pain. Feeling a lot of stretch in the axillary webbing on my L side // RPE: 6 // RIR: 5+ (3rd set) Made sure to keep my chest higher this set which reduced that axillary stretching; tempoed the set for slight increase in difficulty. // RPE: 6 // RIR: 5+ (4th set) Solid last set to finish it out. This session was definetly "light" and I don't believe will contribute to fatigue going into Friday// RPE: 6 // RIR: 5

Deadlift Notes: Still adjusting to the Deadlift being on Wednesday. If I want to really push my numbers back up I may have to alternate between a deadlift focused week and squat week. Still having issues with my hands getting shredded so I threw on some straps for the back offs. Not a ton of utility for RPE since usually I do a great job breaking the plates off the floor but as the weights get heavier its at the expense of my back angle.

Good Morning Notes: I am still feeling these out, Figured out on the last set that I am unlocking at the knee to much allowing the bar to be really close to my mid foot. These were just to get some very low fatiguing work for the low back.

Still finding the RPE and RIR as a good feedback tool for my weight picks. Will continue to avoid the temptation to let my RPE/ RIR dictate loads or volume within the workout.

20200424 HLM
    [M] Low Pin LBSQ 340x5x3, 325x5x2
    [M] 2ct Pause Bench 275x5, 265x5x3
    [M] 1 1/2 Deadlifts 320x5x4
    [Asst] Press 135x10x3

Pin Squat Notes: This on paper made sense. Drop 10% from the back off sets and hit it for sets across with the same rep scheme. My pause squats could handle it and PPST3 recommended 10-20% for the "Medium" day. "Medium" is supposed to have solid form with a perception of working hard; this was an all out ball buster. I was to hard headed for my own good until I had racked up a significant amount of fatigue. Moving forward I will start opting for the lighter loads which can be turned up as opposed to the opposite.

Pause Bench Notes: Similar mistakes but this is more about how I hashed out the exercise variations amoungst the relative intensities. This will be switched with WGBP due to my inability to do more than 5lbs to standard on the same set/ rep scheme. I crushed WGBP and Pause BP crushed me so we'll flip flop them.

1 1/2 DL Notes: Working on that bottom position for another cycle. Was humble enough to lower the loads to 90% of my high stress days back off sets. 320 was a perfect pick where each set needed my complete attention, had good form, and was definetly making me work.

Press Notes: I worked these until I started to have some discomfort in my R axillary webbing which I feel is close to the bicipital groove. Covid 19 has me rusty on my medical information and an impending promotion has me studying regulations more than anything else. So I may just sound like an uppity jackass that knows less than he thinks (which is always on the table for medics).

In general: This week was intended to accumulate the most volume that I could recover from. These workout were in general very long (High & Medium stress days were 3h) which made the back half just not enjoyable for the most part. Next week will have 9 less overloading sets and 69 less reps across the "big 3" which will be very refreshing. The biggest challenge for me is going to be navigating between a problem with basic organization (such as WGBP on [M] day or [L] day) or one that is more overarching (under recovering from too much volume). I like the rotating rep ranges for each week. The exercises changing keeps the pursuit of PR's every session ongoing and is mentally refreshing. RM's allow me to easily track whether or not I am improving. However since this isn't explicitly laid out in PPST3 I will probably continue to reevaluate and reference the "holy book o' Mark".
    Last edited by Notyouravgdoc; 04-24-2020 at 06:18 AM.

20200427 HLM
    [H] LBSQ 425×1, 425×0, 380×4×4
    [H] BP 300×4, 295×4×3
    [Asst] Chins 5×8

Notes: Insomnia stole my PR on squats today. Came in on two hours of sleep and still lifted before work. Will need to fix my sleep problems

20200429 HLM
    [L] HBSQ 265x4x3
    [L] 2ct Paused Bench 265x4x3
    [H] Deadlift 410x4, 425x4, 400x4x2
    [Asst] Good Mornings "Moster Mini Band"x10x4

HBSQ Notes: (1st set) Notes: felt pretty clean // RPE: 6 - no slowdown between reps // RIR: 5+ (2nd set) Notes: legs are loosening up // RPE: 6 - no slowdown between reps // RIR: 5+ (3rd set) Notes: A little patella tendonopathy in the L knee. paused in the hole to alleviate some of the discomfort // RPE: 6- no slowdown / RIR: 5+

2ct Bench Press: (1st set) Notes: substantially better pauses. Last week I was wiggling all over the bench at the bottom which has been corrected // RPE: 7 // RIR: 3 (2nd set) Notes: Feeling very stable in the bottom with more practice. // RPE: 8 -moderate [clear] slowdown // RIR: 3 3rd set) Notes: Was doing well but the last two reps I had the bar jumping around on me during the pause // RPE: 8 // RIR: 3

Deadlift: (1st set) Notes: Felt better than it has in the last two weeks. // RPE: 7- mild slowdown on the last rep // RIR: 2 (2nd set) Notes: Hit my power rack on two occasions which screwed my bar path up. // RPE: 9 // RIR: 1?? (if I don't hit the rack) (3rd set) Notes: Threw on the straps which permitted better form. // RPE: 8 -moderate [clear] slowdown on last rep// RIR: 2-3 (4th set) Noes: very solid back angle // RPE: 8 // RIR: 2

Good Mornings: Used bands because the bar was a tad too stressful and wasn't feeling the movement in the low back and hamstrings.

Session Notes: kept it under 2 hours which was very reliving

20200501 HLM
    [M] Pin Squat 340x4x3
    [M] WGBP 280x4x3
    [M] Halting Deadlift 365x4
    [Asst] Press 168x8x3

Pin Squat Notes: (1st set) Notes: Upper back positioning has improved since Monday. // RPE: 7 -modest slowdown on last rep // RIR: 3-4 (2nd set) Notes: Solid set and really pushing it to keep form from deteriorating. // RPE: 7 -modest slowdown on last rep // RIR: 2 (3rd set) Notes: Bar was slightly uneven across my back // RPE: 8 // RIR: 2. Form was solid and the RPE/ RIRs indicating lots of effort so I think it was a perfect "Medium" session.

WGBP Notes: (1st set) Notes: Mild discomfort in L axillary webbing. // RPE: 6 -no slowdown on last rep // RIR: 4 (2nd set) Notes: Continued discomfort in L axillary webbing however it is nothing more than distracting during the lift. // RPE: 6 // RIR: 4 (3rd set) Notes:Good close out set. Form was still perfect and the bar speed not reduced but I was definetly pushing it// RPE: 6 - no slowdown between reps // RIR: 3-4. Extremely light which hopefully indicates that I'm recovering well and ready to set a nice 3RM next Monday.

Halting Deadlift Notes: Low back was absolutely smoked. Pulled one set with some not great form and just called it. If I can feel the spinal erector origins along my sacrum and posterior iliac spine I will assume that my low back has been sufficiently stimulated.

Press Notes: Very happy to keep pushing the weights up in higher rep ranges. Kept it pretty strict until the back half of the last set.

Session Notes: Felt pretty solid today all things considered. Was able to keep the session under 2 hours which is always appreciated. I believe I have found a nice balance between interpreting RPE/ RIRs, training logs, and in the moment intuition. Today is a great example where if I had solely based programming on RPEs/ RIRs I would have handled around 10% less weight on Pin SQ, and 10% more on WGBP. However I don't think this would have been as productive. I feel that the bar speed in the Pin Squat makes RPE (velocity) assessments harder and with it being weak point training the RIRs will always be lower. Today was productive and the flaws in last weeks organization were corrected which shows some improvement in problem solving.
    Last edited by Notyouravgdoc; 05-01-2020 at 06:07 AM.

20200504 HLM
    [H] LBSQ 395x3, 410x3, 420x3
    [H] Bench 315x3, 325x3, 305x3
    [Asst] Chin Ups 2x8, 1x7

LBSQ Notes: (1st Set) Notes: I need to keep refining my walkout to ensure needless movement is cut down under maximal loads. Additionally I farted in the hole of every rep which definetly lead to increased difficulty. // RPE: 7 - modest slowdown // RIR: 2 (2nd Set) Notes: Bar was slightly uneven across my back. Still having problems with my stomach // RPE: 9 -distinct slowdown on last rep; slower past sticking point // RIR: 1-2 (3rd set) Notes: This was a pretty close to failure set. // RPE: 9 -drastic slowdown on last rep// RIR: 0

Bench Notes: (1st set) Notes: Felt incredibly smooth @315. // RPE: 8- clear and distinct slowdown in bar speed. // RIR: 1. (2nd set) Notes: tried to not get to riled up for the set to cut down on neural fatigue so I could maybe push for one more attempt. Bar path and set up were absolutely perfect. // RPE: 9 - clearly can see where my sticking point is; bar speed decreased greatly passed the mid range // RIR: 1? (3rd set) Notes: Didn't feel confident enough to go any higher than 325 so I backed off 5% and hit it for a triple. Glad I did because I felt like my pecs were going to rip off my sternum when I tried to tempo the first rep // RPE: 9 // RIR: 1?

Chin Up Notes: Low back still a little pissy from last week and I only had about 5 mintues to get out the door for PRT. Crammed these in and left for work.

20200506 HLM
    [L] HBSQ 295x3x2
    [L] 2ct Pause Bench 275x3x2
    [H] Deadlift w/belt 445x3

HBSQ Notes: (1st set) Notes: bar feels unusually heavy. // RPE: 6 // RIR: 5 (2nd set) Notes: definetly feeling weak in the upper back. // RPE: 6 // RIR: 4-5. (2nd set) Notes: Still just feeling heavier than usual. // RPE: 6 // RIR: 4-5

Paused Bench Notes: (1st set) Notes: Trouble with positioning on the bench. Bar was jumping around when I went to press after the pause. // RPE: 6 // RIR: 3. (2nd set) Notes: improved positioning and better control in the bottom. // RPE: 7 // RIR: 2-3

Deadlifts: Hooked up to 395. Went with straps due to my hands being chewed up from prior sessions and the hook. // RPE: 7 // RIR: 1

[M] HBSQ 385x3x2
    [M] WGBP 305x3x3
    [Asst] Press 175x5
    [M] Deadlift 405x5

HBSQ Notes: (1st set) Severe leg and low back fatigue caused me to pivot from pin squats to high bar so I could still hit the tonnage I programmed. Stretch reflex is pretty much all that is getting me through right now.// RPE: 8 // RIR: 2. (2nd Set) Low bar mechanics were creeping in causing the bar to shift forward on second rep. I can understand why these are not to be mixed in when someone learns LBSQs // RPE: 9 -distinct slowdown at sticking point with considerable reduction in speed after passing it// RIR: 0

WGBP Notes: (1st set) L shoulder popped on warm ups because I set the J pegs too high. That mild discomfort is still persisting into my work sets. // RPE: 8- moderate slowdown on last rep// RIR: 1. (2nd set) L shoulder is starting to feel better. I find if I keep my chest as high as possible that the wider grip is not as irritating. // RPE: 7 -modest slowdown (yes; improved from the 1st set) // RIR: 2. (3rd set) Solid last set to finish this cycle// RPE:8 -moderate slowdown on last rep // RIR: 1

Press Notes: Usually I program these after deadlifts since I designated the press as an assistance lift with my emphasis on the bench press. However time was running down and I knew I had pretty bad low back fatigue so I attempted these immediately after the WGBP. That was clearly an error as I just had nothing left (or at least immediately after the bench) so I scraped it since I failed my first set. Progammed 175x6x3 which was not in the cards between my limited time before work and placing these after bench.

Deadlift Notes: I had 10 minutes left in the session before I had to change and get off to pay day activities. Once again I pivoted to regular deadlifts at a lower load since the halting deadlifts would have surely not been possible at the intensity I prescribed due to the low back fatigue. I decided to test my hook since I would like to phase that in and replace the supinated/ pronated grip. I was very happy with how it held up and my back angle was picture perfect however the thumb pain made me shake out my hands between every rep. So this wasn't a true set of 5 with probably 10-20 seconds between reps for me to shake my hands out but whatever.

Session Notes: PRT was pretty fucking stupid this week. Nobody cares and I feel the army rewards those who keep their body weight in the 150-160 range and who just go home and sit on their ass. My platoon members that do nothing than skip meals, play video games and fuck off on their free time have more in the tank for these daily runs. Two soldiers who I have been assisting through their NLP were chastised today for lifting because they could only run 7min miles as opposed to the 6min miles before they started. I hope the ACFT smacks these people across the face as there is a growing concern in my immediate area about the 3rm deadlift, CrossFit push ups, med ball toss, and leg tuck on the new test.
    Monday) 4 mile run with hit time
    Tuesday) Cross fit with 100m repeats x 5
    Wednesday) 4 mile run with x5 sprints up a hill at the half way point
    Thursday) 6 mile ruck run. It is incredibly irritating that a 14mi/mile pace which is just a fast walk is looked down upon. The 12mi ruck test has a 15m pace so if you can walk 14m/mi's consistently then I believe you should be able to pass the 12 miler.
    Last edited by Notyouravgdoc; 05-09-2020 at 10:43 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    HBSQ 335x6, 345x6, 315x6
    MGBP 280x6, 285x6, 270x6
    Deadlift 385x6, 345x6

HBSQ: (1st Set) Notes: Pretty solid set of 6. // RPE: 6 -no slowdown between reps // RIR: 4 (2nd Set) Notes: Bar path was misgrooved which lead to slowdown early in the set not indicative of reaching a fatigue threshold. // RPE: 8- distinct slowdown on last rep// RIR: 2-3 (3rd Set) Notes: First back off set which was very solid. Bar speed was fast, form was dialed in, and everything was feeling good. // RPE: 6- no slowdown between reps// RIR: 4+

MGBP: (1st Set) Notes: Minor discomfort in the L axillary webbing. Probably a result of last weeks wide grip bench session. Will be careful moving forward.// RPE: 6- no clear slowdown between reps// RIR: 3 (2nd Set) Slowded down the tempo just slightly which lead to a far smoother bar path. // RPE: 7- bar speed was ever so midlly slowded down on last rep // RIR: 3 (3rd Set) Very smooth back off set. Definetly felt like I was working and my pecs are clearly the weak link. // RPE: 6 -no slowdown between reps// RIR: 4

Deadlift: (1st set) What a nightmare. I felt a pop at the base of my R thumb and then had to put straps on for rep 3. Thumb feels fine now but it hurt like hell in the moment. // RPE: 7 // RIR: undiscernable

Front Squat w/belt 205x6, 215x6, 190x6
    CGBP 275x6, 250x6
    Pendlay Row 155x10x3

Front Squat: Ramping up to an RPE 7 required a ton of sets due to wrist pain usually being the limiting factor. Had to put a stop to the ramping at 215 since I had taken 20lb jumps from 135 looking for that mild slowdown on last rep. The slowdown never happened but I needed to get other stuff done and my wrists were killing me. So I load dropped and moved on.

CGBP: (1st set) Underestimated fatigue from Monday. Historically my close grip is about 95% of my normal gripped bench press.// RPE: 9- distinct slowdown // RIR: 1-2
    (2nd set) Tempoed the set a little bit to really catch a "pump". Moved well considering some minor L shoulder pain from PRT and overshooting my top set // RPE: 6- no slowdown between reps // RIR: 3

Pendlay Row: Worked up to 3 RIR and hit sets across

LBSQ w/ belt 345x6, 315x6
    WGBP 275x6, 285x6, 250x6
    RDL 290x6, 275x6x2
    Press 135x10x3

LBSQ: (Top Set) Notes: L shoulder is pissy today; having some decent pain underneath my distal clavicle and more or less along the supraspinatus. // RPE:7- mild slowdown on last rep// RIR: 2* due to discomfort (Back Off) Notes: Took a closer grip on the bar which alleviated a lot of the discomfort. // RPE: 6- no slowdown between reps/ RIR: 4

WGBP: (Ramp) Notes: This was my scheduled set for today. Shoulder pain required a lift off from my wife. // RPR: 6- no slowdown between reps// RIR: 2* due to pain (Top Set) Notes: Brought my grip one finger width in which alleviated some of the discomfort. Over shot it by probably 3-5bs // RPE: 8- distinct or moderate slowdown on last rep // RIR: 1-2 (Back Off) Notes: Totally killed it with the middle finger on the rings. // RPE: 6- no slowdown between reps.// RIR: 4-5

RDL: Very similar problems to the Front Squat on Wednesday. I just kept raming the weight up looking for that slowdown which never came with the jumps I took. I ended up having to call it at 290 because I was hook gripping and my right thumb was taking a beating. Will hopefully skip the many unnecessary ramping sets next week.

Press: First set @3 RIR, then repeated until 2h had elapsed
    Last edited by Notyouravgdoc; 05-16-2020 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Never recorded Monday

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast