starting strength gym
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's Late Intermediate Log v1.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Kingwood: Paused for Coronaville

In the Dungeon again. My new Inzer briefs came in, and wow, that's going to take getting used to.

Squat: Singles up to 365, then 135x5x3

So the briefs let me work up to a relatively pain-free single at 365, and then I did my intended LP weight without them. Plan is for +20 next session (with perhaps some heavier work in the briefs).

Press: 210x4 (4PR!) Video at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “210x4. 4PR at the Army dungeon! Trying not to waste away during quarantine. SDG! #22000lbs4johnson #22miles4johnson #weights #wendler531…”

This is a display of residual strength, rather than a display of newly gained strength. That old 4PR had been on the books for quite awhile, and was pretty easy to knock out. I need to get some volume work in, but ... I'm lazy. Maybe next week.

In the Dungeon again.

Squat: Singles up to 385, then 185x5x3

Getting better. Used the briefs for the singles, then went "nude" for the sets across.

Deadlift: 435x1, 465x1, 495x1 Video of 495 at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “495x1 in the dungeon. Not a PR but only 5lbs off my best. Haven't had this much on the bar since 2019. SDG! #22000lbs4johnson…”

This was a big mental win. Bar didn't feel slidy at all, and my body felt fine throughout.

In the Dungeon again. This was on 31 March; forgot to log here.

Squat: Singles up to 375, then 215x2

So I'm trying to rehab this adductor, and my right quad tweaks. Le sigh.

Bench: 295x5x3 (V15 PR)

So did some sets-across work on the bench. Went fine.

In the Dungeon again.

Squat: 225x5x3

Quads better, adductor okay at this load. Rehab squat continues.

Press: 205x4x3 (V12 PR!)

Slow, deliberate press progression continues.

Row: 265x6x3 (V18 PR)

Row progression also continues.

Army dungeon was full (10 people) when I got there with Tim; I sent Tim in first once somebody came out, and he got his deadlifts mostly done without me.

Bench: 335x4 (4PR!) Video at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “335x4. 4PR! In the dungeon again. SDG! #22000lbs4johnson #22miles4johnson #weights #wendler531 #teamssoc #texasmethod #teambloc…”

Got greedy. Wanted a 5PR, and at 330 I'd have probably had it. But it's hard to complain about a 4PR, so ... there's that.

Squat: 275x5x3

+50lbs on the rehab squat. Adductor barely twinged at all, and the rest of my body was grateful for the load.

Squat: 295x5x3

These moved well, some minor pain in the tweaked upper quad was gone by set two. The pulled left adductor didn't bark at me until set 3, and it was more of a whimper. I think 315 is going to happen next session.

Press: 207.5x5 (5PR!) Video at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “207.5x5. 5PR in the dungeon. SDG! #22000lbs4johnson #22miles4johnson #weights #wendler531 #teamssoc #texasmethod #teambloc…”

Was going to do rep progression, but after a warmup single at 195 I knew I had this so I took it.

Deadlift: 385x5x5

Going to keep titrating volume/intensity on the other lifts, but for DL, I've started Andy Baker's 6-week Deadlift Improvement cycle again. Used it twice before, and got a new PR each time; here's hoping for similar.

This 5x5 was harder than expected. Deadlift for volume sux.

Squat: 315x5x3

No bigs. Same story as last time: Minor pain in the tweaked upper quad, gone by set 2. Pulled adductor didn't bark until set 3, and only just, at that. 335 would be perfectly reasonable next session, whenever that might be. Because (see Tim's Log, over in the Novice forum) the Army has closed the dungeon. We barely got this workout in.

Bench: 300x5

This was going to be 300x5x3 for a sets across PR to set up a progression or PR move on Saturday, but I didn't have my own barbell, and had to use a crappy one, on a wobbly bench that I couldn't get tight on no matter what. I thought 300 was gonna kill me on this equipment. So I bagged it.

Tim had a much better day than I did.

Whatever: Coronaville

Been 3 weeks of nothing. Couldn't muster the motivation to do non-barbell stuff. Finally today I couldn't stand it anymore. Broke out my adjustable dumbbells from 2008, and wrestled my old crappy bench out of the garage. All weights are dual dumbbells.

Bench: 90x10x3

Row: 90x10x3

Triceps Overhead Extension: 25x8x3

This was way harder than expected. I expected benching 180lbs worth of dumbbells to be easy, since my barbell bench is in the 300s for reps, and when I do dumbbell work in the Globo, I usually reach for the 100+ stuff. 3 weeks of cookies and crying will take its toll. Lord, let Arizona gyms open soon.

Post Shut-Down LP (Hereinafter known as LP v2.0)

So I haven't touched a barbell in 29 days by my count. Haven't touched much else, either (as evidenced by the one dumbbell workout I slid in). Today, though, Arizona gyms are able to reopen. Problem is, all the big Globos have to recall their employees, make their facilities "social-distance-ready", and other corporate stuff. But boutique-style and black-iron places are already open. So I went to AR Fitness in Gilbert, Arizona. (Not Armalite Rifle, but "American Raw.") Great equipment, low drama, good to go. Paid some dough for a month-long membership. Tim came along, too. We both started a new LP today.

Squat: 295x5x3

No worries. I probably had 315, but 295 was plenty hard, since it was up from zero.

Press: 185x5x3

Probably too heavy to start. Wups. They all came up, though.

Deadlift: 405x5

The press was rough ... this was murder. But dammit, I wasn't about to NOT pull 4 plates.

Bench: 255x5x3

Goldilocks zone: Just right.

So ... bodyweight is down from 227 to 223, but my waist has gone up a belt-notch. Hopefully lifting again will favorably recomp that.

Next session's planned for Saturday, then Tuesday we'll be doing a normal 3/wk LP after we ramp back up. We both went home wrekt, and I'm typing this with 75mg of Diclofenac Sodium already on board.

starting strength coach development program
    LP v2.0, W2D1

Couldn't get the Saturday bridge-session in, so I'm calling the previous workout "Week 1" and now I'm in a fresh week.

Squat: 315x5x3

+20. Also, this is the weight I had rehabbed myself to from the injury leading up to the COVID layoff.

Press: 190x5x3

+5. Went fine; my fears about 185 last week were unwarranted.

Deadlift: 280x1

And this is where I'm in trouble. I think I'm going to have to deadlift every other session right out of the gate this time around. Layoff's smoking me. Everything from knees to shoulders was barking at me starting at 135lbs.

Bench: 265x5x3

+10. Easy and smooth.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast