Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's Late Intermediate Log v1.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    LP v2.0, W2D2

Lame.

Squat: 335x5, 2

Pulled R quad set 2. Can't even airsquat right now. Everything hurts to do right now. Did benches only after this.

275x5x3

These should have been rock-solid, but leg-drive was absent due to bad quad.

Getting old is stupid.

LP v2.0, W2D3

Squat: 135x5x3

Like squatting through a charlie-horse. A good weight for today.

Press: 195x5, 3

Sending this to intermediate programming immediately.

Deadlift: 225x5x3

That quad hurts, but this was doable without major issues.

LPv2.0, W3D1

Squat: 185x5x3

+50, and as you'll see, squat was my lightest lift of the day. Quad felt like a charlie-horse but it was all doable. Think 225 is in order for Tuesday probably.

Press: 227.5x2 (2PR!) Video at Login • Instagram

Upper body stuff is feeling pretty much good to go at this point, at least for short sets. So I chased down a 2PR today. Intermediate programming for upper body lifts inbound while squat/DL LP continue.

Deadlift: 275x5x3

These were no problem; quad didn't even bark at me once. Gonna slow-roll these anyway; probably hit 315 for sets across on Tuesday.

Bench: 295x5

Treating it like a TM ID today.

LPv2.0, W3D2

Squat: 225x5x3

Some lower back fatigue here; I need to rebuild work capacity. No screams from my quad or anything else.

Deadlift: 315x5x3

Easy enough; same fatigue issue. Planning 365 for Thursday, and will probably scale back to 2 sets.

Bench and Press: Not conducted

Right now I've got a reverse-TM idea in my mind for the upper body lifts. I did intensity day on Sunday; I'll do volume day on Thursday. I still have to think about what to do Tuesday. Light day? 2x5 of each maybe, at an offset % of ID?

LPv2.0, W3D3

Squat: 275x5x3

Quad's feeling great. Nevertheless think I'll slow down and do 295 next session, then 315.

Bench: 245x5x5

Putting in work.

Press: 170x5, 10, 10 (10PR!)

I wanted 25 reps at 170 and got them. But I didn't want to spend forever getting them, and I knew I'd low-balled the weight. I also knew my best recorded set of 10 was 155. So I took 170 for a ride, rested, and then did it again. Bodybuilder trix, boyz.

DL: 365x5x2

+50, dropped a set. Next: Drop another set and do 385, let my system readapt, try not to get hurt.

LP v2.0, W4D1

Squat: 295x5x3

Press: 211x4 (4PR)!

Bench: 330x3

DL: 385x5

LP v2.0, W4D2

Barely conducted

Civil unrest has led to my activation. Didn't lift at all on scheduled day. Today I went in for a bench press workshop and got some good form tips, but then didn't actually move any weight.

Squat: 365x1, 405x1

I was in utes and boots, no gear. Didn't want to struggle-bus through 315x5x3 wearing my sproingy combat boots and my non-stretch uniform pants. So I worked singles up to see how they felt. 405 came up fast and pain-free, and felt nice and stable. I think I've healed. Still plan to do 315 for sets across in my regular lifting clothes; don't know when that will be. First people gotta stop throwing bricks and setting things on fire, I guess.

????

Still activated. Slipped into the gym at 1900 with Tim and he had a great session (see novice section). My training was no good.

Squat: 365x1, 405x1, 425x1

Got some exposure to heavier weights which is what I wanted.

Bench: 225x1, 315x0

Warmed up bench and was feeling okay, but as soon as I unracked 315 I immediately re-racked it. Everything from heels to hiccups felt wrong.

I'm spending hours a day on my but on the road; I've put hundreds of miles in this week and diet is hamburgers in parking lots. I'll see how I feel after optempo slows.

PARADIGM SHIFT

Civil unrest activation was followed by additional duties, which involved driving many hundreds of miles. I LP'd my chode-against-bucket-seat and hit new maxes or something. But here's the bigger news:

I've been working on an accessions packet for return to Active Duty, and the board results came back. I made it. God is good.

That means, among many other things, that I've got to do some different training. After looking at a few options, I decided on Andy Baker's powerbuilding program.

KSC+ Powerbuilding, W1D1

There's a sample template in the program which wisely says it's not a prescription for any specific lifter, but ... for day 1, I just did what's on the page. I'll figure out if it's appropriate as written before using Baker's tips for modifying.

Bench: 255x8x3

A good pick for load.

Dumbbell Bench: 95x12, 80x12, 65x12

I could tell by my second set of these that Baker's program is going to bring back some work capacity I've lost in the last year. Grueling.

Dips: Density (1 min rest, 30 reps total): 12, 8, 6, 4

For progression on these, step one will be to eliminate that 4th set by rolling into the other three.

Barbell Curls: 65x12, 55x12, 45x12

Thought I was being overly conservative on this loading scheme. Much harder than expected.

Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 20x8, 15x8, 10x8

Just chasing the pump at this point.

Day one in the bag. Tomorrow I think I've got sets of 8 on the DL. Eww.

starting strength coach development program
    KSC+, W1D2

DL: 315x8x3

Started lighter than perhaps necessary. Still good volume at a non-negligible weight. Needed this in my life.

Front Squat: 135x8x3

I suck at front squat. Kept it at 135 to learn the motion. When these come around again, maybe 185? Or maybe 155. I am not adapted to this movement.

Air Force Sit-up: 20, 10

This program has abz-work. Did the AF variant rather than Army since it targets Dem Abz without all the BS of the standard Army model.

RDL: 155x8x3

Needed something for hamstring isolation; this worked okay. Load will be higher next week.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast