starting strength gym
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's Late Intermediate Log v1.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Speculations and ramblings ...

Unlikely: If nothing changes in programming or load-increase, or my ability to perform, then I should hit some form of PRs at the following dates: Bench, 22 SEPTEMBER. Press, 29 SEPTEMBER. Squat, 8 OCTOBER. Deadlift, 27 OCTOBER.

Among the many reasons this is unlikely, I must include the expectation that I will have some truncated workouts on/about mid-October as I transition to my new military assignment. It's my sincere hope to make that transition with minimal impact to training. May God grant that there are open gyms and good barbells where I'm headed, because my personal barbell won't be catching up to where I'm moving for awhile after I go.

Yeah; ignore those ramblings. Looks like coach is moving my presses to 2.5lb jumps, and introducing light-day midweek squats. So I have no earthly clue when I'll hit any PR of any kind. But I'm embracing the process, and it's a solid, challenging overall grind, despite the fact that I've come to look at bench press and deadlift as a rest from hard work (since the loads are so low atm).

Comeback LP, W4D1

Squat: 335x5x3

Bench: 275x5x3

Deadlift: 345x5

Comeback LP, W4D2

Squat (Light): 275x5x2

Press: 172.5x5x3

Chin-ups: AMRAP x4. Result: 10, 7, 5, 5

+2 to total chin volume; 27 total volume this session.

(Comeback LP, W4D1.5: Did another mile, cut some time off the total but my splits were slow)

Comeback LP, W4D2.5

Conditioning: 1 mile movement. Quarter-mile splits: Run/Walk/Run/Walk

Run splits: 1:50, 1:40. Total: 10:02

Well, I've almost hit a 10-minute mile by WALKING half of it so I've got that going for me.

Comeback LP, W4D3

Squat: 340x5x3

Bench: 280x5x3

Deadlift: 355x5

This all felt really difficult. Everything moved like I was under water. But all the reps came up. Don't know what the bad feelz were about; food and sleep were adequate. I think life stress may be creeping up on me.

Comeback LP, W5D1 (Day 1 of 2; Short training week)

Squat: 345x5x3

These moved objectively slow in the video. Not sure what coach is gonna say about these re: future programming. We'll see; I may be on top-sets for awhile now.

Press: 175x5x3

Deadlift: 365x5

Comeback LP, W5D1.5

Conditioning: Run. 200m RUN, 200m JOG, 200m WALK, x4 (total 1.5 miles). Total time: 16:05

Some old familiar pain caught up with me on the 3rd segment of this. Back in 2015, I trained up and tried out for the Green Berets (Army SF). Obviously I didn't make it; but a great portion of why I failed was that I injured my feet from hundreds of miles of ruckmarches during pre-training. Nowadays, whenever I get back to running, some of the old familiar pain comes back. This isn't the disturbing kind, though: Just a shooting pain up the inner left leg starting at the foot. This old friend of mine usually goes away after a few miles, but this time it was gone within half a mile and I was able to finish the event. Now that this is out of the way, I expect running to be somewhat easier in future. I don't expect to ever return to the volume of trail-work and running-work I was doing back in 2015 again, so I probably don't have to worry about stress fracturing from overuse, eh?

Comeback LP, W5D2 (Day 2 of 2)

Squat: 355x5, 315x5x2

Yeesh that felt heavy. But added another 5 so yay.

Bench: 285x5x3

Got that one knocked out, but it was slow and clunky. I'm pretty fatigued overall right now, and even my bread-and-butter lift (bench) is slowing down. I expect coach will look at the video on this and slow to 2.5lb jumps.

Deadlift: 375x5

These are starting to feel challenging, but I think that's legitimately as a result of intra-workout fatigue. I could have gutted my way through probably 415 today if it was all I had to do all day, but those squats are taking it out of me.

Comeback LP, W6D1

Squat: 360x5, 320x5x2

Squats are hard. Just always always hard. This is a big mental win for me though: I am officially moving twice as fast on this LP now. On LP1 as a novice, it took me 69 days to hit 360x5; I hit it tonight on day 34 of this BLOC LP.

Press: 177.5x5x3

The lift I love to hate. These are not hard right now, but I'm full-body beat to hell right now so even though video shows reps that go up in 0.5 to 0.8 seconds, it "feels" heavy.

Deadlift: 385x5

Another 10lb jump. Wewt?

starting strength coach development program
    Comeback LP, W6D1.5

Conditioning: 2 Mile Run. Split: Walk 1/4, Run 1/2 (RPE 8), Walk 1/4, Run 1/2 (RPE 8), Walk 1/4, SPRINT 1/4 (RPE 9+)

Time: 20:52

Prescribed was 1.75 miles. I added the quarter walk at the front by way of a warmup.

The victory here: My required 2 mile run time for the Army is 21 minutes. I achieved a passing score tonight, even though I walked 3/4 mile. I'll take the W.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast