starting strength gym
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's Late Intermediate Log v1.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Comeback LP, W6D2

Light Squat: 290x5x2

These did not feel light. At all. Also, my last pair of Bush Administration era Iraq deployment shorts are no more; with a mighty rip I bared my arse to the world on rep 2 of set 1.

Chins: 4xAMRAP. Result: 10, 7, 6, 6

+2 total volume; up to 29 now.

Bench: 290x5, 265x5x3

4 sets now; coach is starting to slip in more intermediate-looking protocols.

This 290x5 is nice: I'm at day 38 of this restart. First time around, it took 234 days to hit 290x5. So speed of comeback is good.

Comeback LP, W6D3

Squat: 365x5, 325x5x2

These felt SO much better than squats have all week. Cues from coach: Upper body tightness, smooth transition to descent. Applied those today and I think it was what made for the win. Also: It occurs to me I've kicked my feet out about an inch on each side. Not a crazy wide SHW IPF stance; just a slight adjustment. The result there was just that there was no rep where the depth was even moderately questionable in the video.

Press: 180x5x3

Still trucking along here. Ho-hum. This is still just putting in work right now. Coach said shrug and lockout harder up top, so I tried to do that. Unlike squats, which are a mental chore every workout at this point, press is still at a point where I can mutter to myself before each set "The outcome is not in doubt."

Deadlift: 395x5

Made a dumb mistake. I'd intended a warmup single at 365, but somehow my brain was convinced it was my working weight, so I recorded it and treated it like a working set. I was like, "DUDE! This is super light. I could do this all. Freakin'. Day."

Then I looked at the bar and realized I'd just 5-repped my warmup single. Derpdy doodle doo.

So I carried some unnecessary fatigue into my set of 395, but that came up smoothly too. "The outcome is not in doubt."

Comeback LP, W7D1

Squat: 370x5, 330x5x2 (Video of top set at Login • Instagram)

Challenging but not crushing. I think I've got 375 on lock for Friday, which will represent a vast improvement over my first LP. I'll do the math to see how vast when the time comes.

Bench: 292.5x5, 267.5x5x3

Top set and then 15 reps for volume. Top set was easier this time than last time.

Deadlift: 405x5

NBD.

Coach has me down for 415 on Friday. I wonder how long these 10lb jumps are gonna happen.

Looking forward to Wednesday. Wednesday is a bit of a unicorn: Light squats line up with presses and chins. So a low-tonnage day all around. Woot.

Comeback LP, W7D1.5

Conditioning: Run

2 mile distance: Walk 1/4, Run 1/2 (RPE 8), Walk 1/4, Run 1/2 (RPE 8), Walk 1/4, Sprint 1/4 (RPE 9+). Total time: 20:03.

Still walking 3/4 mile and passing the Army standard by over a minute.

Gotta say, lifting fatigue is making these harder every time.

Comeback LP, W7D2

Squat (Light): 295x5x2

Press: 182.5x5x3

This isn't close to any kind of PR; my best sets-across PR was 200x5x3 (achieved well into intermediate programming). Nevertheless, I'm hoping for a change some time soon from sets across on press. Just boredom I guess. If these keep coming up smoothly as today, no reason not to keep doing 'em. I'll keep my mouth shut and let Coach tell me when we're changing up the press protocol.

Chins: 4xAMRAP. 10, 9, 7, 7 (+4)

Up to 33 of these now.

Comeback LP, W7D2.5

Conditioning: Run

2400m (1.5 mile) distance: RUN 200 (RPE 9), Jog 200 (RPE 7), Walk 200; repeat x4. Total time: 14:01

Cut over 2 minutes off last attempt at this distance. No foot pain this time, helped. I got the familiar old twinge as I started the third sprint iteration, but I babied it for about 10 meters and it subsided this time as it should have done last time.

Comeback LP, W7D3

Squat: 375x5

Got it done. I skipped backoff sets (335x5x2). The top set was pure murder. This is a big win though: My novice LP ended with 375x2, 0. Today, I got the full set. Coach already said this was our last week of strict LP, so I look forward to whatever mental-stress-relieving changeup he has for me Monday.

Bench: 295x5, 270x5x3

20 sets of bench.

Deadlift: 415x5

Another win here: Novice LP topped out at 411x5.

My novice LP ended in week 14; this comeback LP has surpassed all novice performances in 7 weeks.

I'm very happy that a shift in programming is coming soon.

Comeback LP, W8D1

Squat: 325x5x4

Looks like Coach is taking us into Texas country.

Friday had a sniffle; this morning I'm full-on sick with some kind of cold type thing. Coach said (basically) do your best, so I did. Squats came up; I was glad for the reduced load even though it was 20 reps today instead of 15.

Press: 185x5, 5, 4

Definitely had rep 5 of set 3 if I was at my best today. I think body strength was there, but usually I also have a certain reserve of mental drive that I can use to push through a hard rep. That mental reserve was absent, and I aborted the rep much earlier than I would have when feeling 100%. I'm not super bummed though; I hit 185 for 14 total reps today, and I have already seen Friday's schedule which has me doing 187.5x5 and then backups, so this was my last true 3x5 LP on press anyway.

Deadlift: 420x5

Not bad. Rep 5 was a bit slow. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the speed and authority of these reps given my condition today. Here's hoping this cold goes away soonish.

Comeback LP, W8D2

Squat (Light): 300x5x2

Still a bit under the weather, but this was a welcome dropback.

Bench: 297.5x5, 272.5x5x3

Sheesh. Got them up. I will be shocked if coach doesn't scale me to a top triple after this, or do something different.

Chins, AMRAP 4: 10, 10, 8, 8 (+3)

Total volume is 36 now.

starting strength coach development program
    Nice work Takes something to squat sick! How long do you typically rest on the big four?

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast