starting strength gym
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff's Late Intermediate Log v1.0

Default Geoff's Late Intermediate Log v1.0

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Okay ... my log and training are both a bit stale right now, and I've been saying for weeks (while finishing out a 531 session for a mental break) that it was time to move to something else.

I'm not entirely reinventing the wheel: I'm staying in Texas Method country for now, but moving to a Kingwood variant template.

My old logs:

Novice: Young "master" novice log.

Intermediate 1.0: Geoff's youngish-old-guy Intermediate Training Log, v1.0

Intermediate 2.0: Geoff's Intermediate Log, v2.0

As of this moment, I am 42 years old, weigh 227 lbs. My current best lifts (singles):

Squat: 455

Bench: 355

Press: 235

Deadlift: 500

The plan for the first part of this log is to run a 2/wk Kingwood variant as listed below, lifting nominally on Tuesdays and Fridays. I reserve the right (and will likely exercise the right) to move a volume section a day left or right as life schedule requires. But I still plan to log the workouts as "Day 1," "Day 2" in their respective weeks. So there will probably be lots of "Day 1, Part 1" with just squats performed, and "Day 1, Part 2" with bench and deadlifts performed (for instance).

I'll also introduce some intensity-day "run-out" when appropriate.

The template:

Tuesday A: Volume

Squat 4x5, Bench 5x5, Deadlift 2x5

Friday A: Recovery

Squat 3x4 (light), Press 5x5 (volume), Row (Progression)

Tuesday B: Intensity

Squat 2x3, Bench 2x3, Deadlift 1x3

Friday B: Recovery

Squat 3x4, Press (Progression), Row (Progression)

Goals here are just to maintain progression by providing enough volume without providing too much volume. I feel like a young 42, but nevertheless I am seeing increasing evidence that I fall into Sully's Law: As a Master's Lifter, I am volume sensitive, and intensity dependent.

Here's hoping for another good run.
    Last edited by Geoff Bischoff; 03-01-2020 at 02:21 PM. Reason: This is a Kingwood variant template, not Greysteel.

Kingwood, W1D1P1

So I started early, because of course I started early. My new SBD elbow sleeves came in and I took them for a ride, getting some volume bench done.

Bench: 345 paused (Paused PR), 265x5x5

I could get used to these sleeves. They're not magical or anything of course, but the bit of extra support was a great relief to my beleaguered right elbow. Took the bar for a heavy paused single (beat my old best paused bench by 10lbs, making my gap between CP and TnG only 10lbs now), then did prescribed 5x5 (80% of my intended two-triple ID a week from Monday).

Good times.

Looking forward to this new/modified direction in training. Also glad the sleeves provided a more solid feel and the support your elbow is wanting right now. Solid single and rep work.

Thanks, Adam. It was a good day.

Because of my Army schedule this week, I tried to do my deadlifts today while I coached my friend Tim, but that fail at 505 still hurts a bit. Warmed up with Tim through 225 and decided to bag it for tomorrow and see if I'm recovered. My upper body obviously was, based on yesterday's bench work, but everything felt wrong on deadlift even at 135. Here's to tomorrow!

With the Army taking me to the desert for about 100 hours this week, my Tuesday-Friday is gonna have to look like more of a Monday-Wednesday.

Well damn. I didn't check the calendar very well before I laid out this template. Desert training with the Army late-week, and President's Day today. Tomorrow is probably the only day I'll train this week. Whelp... I'll deal with it.

Kingwood, W1D1P2

The only session happening this week.

Squat: 405x1, 330x5x4

Felt good. Instead of 5x5, did a single and then four fahves. Might keep this (sans the single), as 20 working reps seems to be plenty for me, and as I recall that's what I gravitated to on vanilla TM anyway.

Press (Progression): 210x2x3 (V6 PR!)

Overall still fatigued from last week's heavy singles, but was able to move up another notch on press progression, so I'm happy about that.

Deadlift: 405x5

I am definitely still carrying fatigue right now. So: I did the Kingwood prescribed 1x5 instead of the more ambitious 2x5 I'd self-programmed.

So ... next session next week, and it's supposed to be a ID session, but I'll be coming off 100 hours in the field, so ... here's hoping I get plenty of food out there, and maybe some sleep. But that's unlikely, so I may end up taking a light day, which would effectively tank two TM weeks in a row. GO ARMY!

Kingwood, W2D1P1, W2D1P2

This happened over the course of my Army weekend, as events allowed me to break away from mission for a 20-minute session (Bench) and head to the gym after the last day of drill (Row).

Bench: 330x4 (4PR!) Video at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “330x4 in the dungeon. 4PR! Thanks to SSG McCray who was passing thru. Havent seen him since I left the aviation battalion. Using a…”

Row: 275x2x3 (V6 PR!), 315x2 (2PR!) Video of 315 at Geoffrey Bischoff on Instagram: “315x2 row. These are getting heavy. Some body-English here. Working weight is only 275 so this was a stretch goal. SDG! #22000lbs4johnson…”

I'd love if my 315 rows used less body-English, but the 275's were much stricter.

Squats/Deads ID for Tuesday still to come (to complete "Day 1" of this week).

Kingwood, W2D1P3

Ugh. I picked up the flu or something like it this last weekend. I'm dizzy just standing up. I managed a modest squat PR in an untested rep range, by benefit of the fact that I had no entry on that line:

Squat: 415x1x2 (V2 PR)

Second single was a major grind. Nearly saw black before I racked it.

Deadlifts: Not conducted

Lame, I know. So far this log blows. We'll get it trimmed up right eventually, once the Army and viruses stop interfering.

Kingwood: Paused for Flu

Maintenance workout today (Work up to heavy DL single, heavy BN single)

DL: 455x1, 475x1

After Tuesday night's showing I basically went to bed for two days. Barely emerged from my room. Today I was feeling well enough to drive a mile to coach my friend Tim, so I worked in some singles. 475 is a good showing at 3.7 seconds pull. Only 5% off of my lifetime best so I'll take it.

BN: 275x1, 315x1

315 came up smoothly as well, though I was starting to see black by end of rep.

I'm not going to call this a Kingwood Texas Method right now, but it's still my intention to get back to a KW TM once I'm all healed up.

starting strength coach development program
    Honestly, given you are undoubtedly still recovering, these are pretty awesome. Great job, Geoff, and speedy full recovery. Nothing like the flu with that cough that hangs around 2 months after everything else.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast