starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late 2020 Texas Method Run

Default Late 2020 Texas Method Run

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'll begin doing this workout on Saturday, going on a Saturday/Monday/Wednesday schedule. Saturday is volume day, since I figured I'd have the most time for the necessary work then. It's not how it's generally supposed to be done, but I'm switching to Texas Method programming across the board. Just so happens most or all of my lifts are flattening out at the same time. The only ones I think might have steam for the LP schedule are bench and press, if I reduce their jumps to 2/5 and 1 pound respectively. I'm going to try and see if I can still get some bigger jumps with intermediate programming since the press seems to have stopped HARD.

Squatting will be the usual TM schedule. Pulling will be done with the 85% volume offset presented by Paul Horn in that excellent Texas Method video. I don't know if my power clean can be coached into a better state, but as it stands my best proper technique power clean weight has been less than 1/3 of my best deadlift weight. I don't think these are a very good strength exercise for me. Light day pull will be pulldowns. Bench and press will be on the compressed schedule as presented by Nick Delgadillo. I have played with this programming a bit after my prior LP run. Only change I'm going to make is press intensity will be "run out" the same as bench intensity. To compensate for this, I'll probably shave an extra 5 pounds off the starting intensity weight for bench. Volume day bench will be calculated with the 5 pounds still there, however. The 5 pound shave is to compensate for the heavy pressing set beforehand.

The whole thing looks like this:

Saturday (volume)
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Deadlift 3x5

Monday (light day, volume press)
    Squat 3x5
    Press 5x5
    Pulldowns 5x5

Wednesday (Intensity)
    Press 1x5
    Squat 1x5
    Bench 1x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Start intensity weights will be 10 pounds under my last successful LP weights, except for squats, which the form was falling the fuck apart on trying to grind out jump after jump. I'm going back 15 on those, hoping to keep it together better that way. Jumps will be 5 pounds, even on bench and press. Though I expect that may have to drop to 2.5 just after making up the 10 pound deload. I'll play it by how it feels. If the grind is creeping up too much I'll go to 2.5.

Saturday 11/7/2020 (Volume day)

Squat 250x5x5
    Bench 195x5x5
    Deadlift 315x5x3

Things went mostly okay. Won't be able to tell for sure if progress is happening until about 3 weeks in. Squats were rough, my knee started acting up again on the work sets. I think part of the problem is where I've been squatting in my basement. I think the floor there is less than level and it is causing issues. When I pushed the whole thing forward and squatted the last two sets further up, they felt a lot better. Granted, that area is also carpeted, which makes it a bit less than ideal as a squat platform. But I've got to deal with what I've got to deal with. The way things are going in the world right now gyms in New York may be essentially unusable for a long, long time.
    Last edited by CommanderFun; 11-17-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Monday 11/9/2020 (Light day/Volume press)

Squat 225x5x3
    Seated Overhead Press 115x5x5
    Pulldowns 200x5x5

Dropped the weight down a little bit on the pulldowns from my last workout on the LP. No issues other than the damn knee still hurting.
    Last edited by CommanderFun; 11-17-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Friday 11/10/2020 (Intensity Day)

Seated Overhead Press 130x5
    Squat 280x5
    Bench 215x5
    Deadlift 370x3 (Failed)

All these are backed off from my last LP PRs. Deadlift failed unexpectedly. Given the noted backward move in performance without an accompanying layoff from training, my guess is the 3 sets on volume day was too much for deadlifts. I'm going to lower it to 2 sets next week.

Saturday 11/14/2020 (Volume Day)

Squat 255x5x5
    Bench 200x5x5
    Deadlift 315x5x2

Knee pain was gone Wednesday, came back Saturday. Reduced deadlift volume, hopefully I'll hit the 370x5 on Wednesday this way.

Monday 11/16/2020 (Light Day/Volume press)

Squat 230x5x2
    Seated Overhead Press 120x5x5
    Pulldowns 205x5x5

No knee pain. I think I need to police my depth better. I end up going very far below parallel if I don't and I think it's the cause of the knee pain. Lowered the light squat to two sets to help keep fresher for the intensity day deadlift. Really hoping I can get that 370 on Wednesday.

Wednesday 11/18/2020 (Intensity Day)

Seated Overhead Press 135x5
    Squat 285x5
    Bench 220x5
    Deadlift 370x5

Dropping one set from deadlift volume seems to have been the ticket. 3 was too much. Not sure if dropping light squat workout to 2 sets was any help. I'll try 3 again next monday and see how it affects the intensity day.

Saturday 11/21/2020 (Volume Day)

Squat 260x5x5
    Bench 205x5x5
    Deadlift 320x5x2

No knee pain after the first few warm up sets. I think I'm getting to a good idea of feet placement and angling. It's helped using a plywood board to squat on, simply for the boundaries being useful visual guidelines if nothing else.

Monday 11/23/2020 (Light Day/Volume Press)

Squat 235x5x3
    Seated Overhead Press 125x5x5
    Pulldowns 210x5x5

Upped the volume back to 3 sets on squat this week. We'll see if this has a detrimental effect or not on wednesday. I've decided I'm going to play it safe and do no more 5 pound jumps on the upper body lifts after this week, since I'll be back to my LP intensity PRs. Doesn't give me a lot of possible improvement seeing as I'm shifting my diet and my programming both come January, but it should be good to slap on 10 more pounds with those lifts at least.

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday 11/25/2020 (intensity day)

Seated Overhead Press 140x5
    Squat 290x5
    Bench Press 225x5
    Deadlift 375x5

Deadlift was a barely achieved set. My head felt like it was going to pop off at the end. I think I might have been hitching, it definitely felt like there were pauses on the way up as my body was trembling to keep the bar going.

I tried doing my volume workout today (saturday), and it didn't go well. I finally decided to pull the trigger on tapering my zoloft to 0 this week, and I think I'm feeling the consequences. I'm probably going to take the rest of the week off. My mood is shit and with every squat set it just got a lot worse. Also felt what might be the beginnings of a fucking heel spur in my left foot, so there's that to worry about too. Now that I haven't been on the zoloft a few days, I think the serotonin is depleted and my body needs to adjust and start making it on its own again. I'm hoping when I am finally free and clear of this my strength will improve. My strength to body mass ratio is absurd, and it feels like the only way to keep the weight on the bar going up is to keep the weight on my body going up the same amount or even more. I'll never be able to hit my goals if I keep this up. Plus, living life at 300 pounds just sucks. I feel incredibly sluggish and I crater furniture. The only hypothesis I've got is that this is something neurological reducing quality of muscle contractions. I'm hoping it's something ditching the zoloft will reverse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast