starting strength gym

Thread: Snatch only for a year

Default Snatch only for a year

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just going to snatch or do snatch related movements 3x a week for a year.

My all time best lifts were at the end of the NLP I did a couple years ago, that I shortly derailed from after. 380x5 deadlift, 330x5x3 squat, 250x5x3 bench, and 165x5x3 ohp. I was about 210 at the time. I'm detrained now, at 180.

I maxed out my squat and deadlift today, 275 for both, squat is deep tho, deadlift would have been better if not for having just maxed squat. haven't done either in 4 months, just been working snatch and snatch related movements at 95 lbs for the past couple weeks, getting good at it.

I'll be interested to see what my squat and deadlift numbers do in that time. If my snatch gets up to 275, which is my goal, I imagine I'll have a good squat and deadlift too.

I'll try to take a max snatch, maybe this week or next, and post it here.
    Last edited by maxg; 03-13-2021 at 04:41 PM.

Maxed my snatch at 155 today, with straps. Most I've been working with is 105, no straps, so ok. I do 5x3 with that weight 2-3x a week, for 4 sessions before adding 5 lbs. Thats all I've been doing the past 6 weeks. I may add in front squat, ohp, and pull-ups. So far I'm very happy with what the movement has done for my posture, and how its balanced my physique.
    Last edited by maxg; 04-02-2021 at 06:58 AM.

Will be going to 115 this week for work sets. I've been thinking a lot lately about how the snatch plays back into the rest of the lifts. I sort of think its more foundational than it gets credit for in powerlifting and in the models we use here. I mean I plan to do something very similar to the NLP in the second edition of PPST when I'm done strictly snatching, but I'm convinced that the snatch, and in particular the overhead squat portion of the snatch, really sets your back up right for heavy squatting, and that the two feed back into one another really well.

Lu Xiaojun, Tian Tao, Shi Zhiyong Squat Jerk 2017 - YouTube

Obviously this is a C&J, but they all squat jerk, so very similar to snatch catch. Notice their backs during the squat jerk. Then go watch a vid of any one of them back squatting. Their backs are stiff as a board, no give even with near max efforts.

Lu Xiaojun 270kg / 595lbs Squat at 2019 World Weightlifting Championships Training Hall - YouTube

Squatting once a week now as well. Either front or back squat, alternating. 3x5. Snatching more often. lifted every day past 3 days, will see how every day training goes. So far the weights are light enough that its working and I'm getting a lot of practice, form is very good.

starting strength coach development program
    lifted 6 days last week with a lot of other stuff.. hiking, erg, tennis, golf. Will lift in the morning this week, and hike or erg in the evening if I have the energy. Going to start with an NLP again, but do olympic lifts on Tues/Thurs/Sat for 5x3. Basically doing the NLP from PPST2.. though I do have and did read PPST3. Will try to just add 5 lbs a week to most things and see how far I get. Doing carbs/protein first 2 meals, protein/fat third, then collagen at night. Multivit/mag maybe 2x a week.

Current working weights(lbs):

DL 185
    Squat 160
    Front Squat 140
    Bench 115
    OHP 95

Snatch 115
    Clean&Jerk 135

Plan is to just take it slow and try running the LP out for as long as possible. I feel like being less aggressive with loading will allow me to do everything I want here, and still make progress, but I'll see.