112.5x5

RDL
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    185x1
    210x8x3

Chins — 3, 5, 4.

Music — Top Picks from SiriusXM, Billy Idol's Live Transmission, Billy's Journey Through Punk, (Part 3) 9/28/21 - Velvet Underground, Rock and Roll & Sweet Jane; Jonathan Richman, I Was Dancing in The Lesbian Bar Last Night & Let Her Go Into the Darkness.

Notes — Moving Squats & Presses into Intermediate programming; Squats to HLM, Upper Body to Compressed TM (Nick's Programming). Pulls are moving into Program 1D: Advanced NLP as described in BBRx, pg 193.
    - SQ - For this light day, keeping the intensity high (90%), but dropping the volume to 3x3 vs 3x5.
    - OP - Switching to Nick's Intermediate Press Programming and will slowly add volume while keeping the intensity high at 90% (and the back-off is 90% of that).
    - RDL - I don't have access to a back extension stool, so I'll be using RDLs for now. I found an old article that Bill Starr wrote where he suggested starting at 3x8 at 75% of the heavy squat for the Stiff-Legged Deadlift (SLDL), so I went with that for these RDLs. It might be a bit much right now, since I've never done them before and he suggested that an old guy like me shouldn't, but we'll find out tomorrow (or Monday). I did the first set with the hook grip, intending on doing all three that way. But I really haven't been working that grip, so by the end of the first set, I knew that I would need to go to mixed. Also, I set the J-hooks too low (probably about where I'd do a rack pull), so I'll have to place them a hole or two higher.
    - Chins - I haven't done chins since late May (when I did BWx10x3), so I didn't have any expectations one way or another, other than just start slow and controlled.

Is this Nick's press programming you're referring to? Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

Either way, I'll keep a close eye on how it's going for you. I really, really want a good, strong press and am wondering if the "15 at any cost" protocol is nearing its utility for. (Likewise, I don't want to program-hop as you warned me about earlier, so...)

Exactly that.

During my first coaching session with Adam, we talked about this. "Upper body needs frequency" was the gist of the conversation.

Looking back at springtime when I started stalling on both lifts, I'm now 5lbs from of the point where I started stalling on 5x3's for the Press and 7.5lbs for the Bench (which makes those my 5x3 PRs).

I could run out the singles again, but there's still the frequency issue. So I'll skip that and go straight into his compressed TM program and see how that goes. I'll have more interruptions over the next few months, so I can't say that anything that I do will be a solid recommendation for or against the programming, but I will end this year stronger on both than I've ever been, which is all I can ask for.

10/4/21 - Monday

SQ - M
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    245x1
    275x4x3

OP - I
    45x5
    75x3
    105x1
    125x1
    135x1x5

BP - I
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    165x1
    190x1
    205x5

PC
    65x5
    95x3
    115x1
    125x1
    135x3x5

Music — Top Picks from SiriusXM, Liquid Metal's Corridor of Covers, MegaDave 60th/Peace Sells But Who's Buying 35th release anniversary - Megadeth vs Howlin' Wolf, I Ain't Superstitious; Jasta vs Megadeth, Holy Wars...The Punishment Due.

Notes - Although this is a Monday, this is the Friday of this training week, hence the Medium for Squats and Intensity for Presses.
    - SQ - Keeping my focus on intensity instead of reps, this Medium day is 95% of of my Heavy Squat this week, but with fewer reps per set. That significantly alters the volume, by a lot more than I expected. Taking this week as an example, my Heavy day was 280x5x3 for a total tonnage of 4,200lbs. Keeping the Intensity high for both my Light (90%) and Medium (95%) day put me at 255x3x3 and today's 275x4x3. That doesn't look like much, but then run the numbers for tonnage and the Light day was 2,295lbs and the Medium day was 3,240lbs, or a total stress for the squat each day of 53% and 75%, respectively. So even though these were 95% of my Heavy day, the much lower stress on the Light day meant that today felt good through all three sets.
    - OP - Intensity day, 5x1 with 1 minute rest between. Mis-grooved #3, letting it get too far out in front. Reset and the rest were just fine. During the warmups, I had a realization (mostly because I hadn't put much thought into it before) about the role between running out the NLP in Nick's protocol before going to this compressed TM. Back in the spring I started stalling at 132.5lbs, then switched to running them out, eventually getting to 142.5lbs with a string of doubles, then failing at 145lbs. I noted that I needed to switch to increased frequency per Nick's protocol, then life took a turn and put training on hold. At that time, I would have moved to 145lbs for my Intensity day singles, then continued to move upward on Intensity day singles. No more need to think about x5's, as the Volume day would provide the necessary stress.
    - BP - All good for this single x5 set. Last month I was dropping my last rep of the last set at 202.5lbs, which would have prompted me to go into running out the NLP for this lift. But I was already thinking about switching to Nick's compressed TM for the upper body, so here we are. 205x5 went just fine. Not easy, and I certainly wouldn't have been able to do 205x5x3.
    - PC - Refreshing the memory from the coaching session on these, still light relative to mid-September's sloppy 155x3x5. The back-to-basics coaching session really smoothed these out for me.

10/6/21 - Wednesday

SQ - V
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    255x1
    285x5x3
    255x5x2

BP - V
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    175x1
    197.5x5x3
    180x5x2

RDL
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    185x1
    215x8x3

Chins - 6, 6, 5.

Music — Top Picks from SiriusXM's 1st Wave, Marky Ramone's 1st Wave Blitzkrieg, 10/5/21 - The Damned, Love Song; Generation X, Ready Steady Go; Exploited, I Believe in Anarchy; Sham 69, If the Kids Are United; Madness, One Step Beyond; Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Banned from the Pubs... Classic UK Punk (yep, including Madness, as Ska was so very influential in that 1st wave of punk and continues today).

Notes — The start of a new training week, after finishing the last on Monday, so no "weekend" break. I have some scheduling and projects coming up that would prevent a full workout week if I waited to start this training week tomorrow. And not that I'm inclined to even consider Texas Method, just having these two Volume lifts adds another 40 minutes to already long workouts (one disadvantage to having a home gym is that there are way too many squirrels).
    - SQ - First session adding volume for this lift. All three 285x5's went very well, with plates rattling at the top of each rep. Perhaps it was the once-in-a-blue-moon massive cinnamon roll that I had with brunch. I even considered seeing how 285x5x4 (and perhaps 285x5x5) would have gone, but knew that I was already making a big jump in total volume for the workout (between these and bench), so I stuck with the plan.
    - BP - Same. First session adding volume for this lift. I probably could have gone for 197.5x5x4, but never gave it the thought that I did for the squat.
    - RDL - Still trying to get a feel for this back extension exercise. This time I set the J-hooks above the knee. Hook grip only lasted 5 reps on that first set, so a quick swap to mixed finished the set out (so technically a fail, but it's fine).
    - Chins - Nothing to report here. They're chins. Although I did add 5 reps total over the last session on Saturday (the first chin session in several months).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    10/4/21 - Monday

Notes -
    - SQ - Keeping my focus on intensity instead of reps, this Medium day is 95% of of my Heavy Squat this week, but with fewer reps per set. That significantly alters the volume, by a lot more than I expected. Taking this week as an example, my Heavy day was 280x5x3 for a total tonnage of 4,200lbs. Keeping the Intensity high for both my Light (90%) and Medium (95%) day put me at 255x3x3 and today's 275x4x3. That doesn't look like much, but then run the numbers for tonnage and the Light day was 2,295lbs and the Medium day was 3,240lbs, or a total stress for the squat each day of 53% and 75%, respectively. So even though these were 95% of my Heavy day, the much lower stress on the Light day meant that today felt good through all three sets.
    And in a classic "it's in the books moment," this is explicitly described in Program 6A: Heavy-Light-Medium (pg 255) of BBRx.

In my feeble defense, I didn't have the book with me the day that I did the math for this.

10/8/21 - Friday

SQ - L
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    255x5x2

OP - V
    45x5
    75x3
    105x1
    115x1
    127.5x5x4
    115x5

DL
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    300x1 - straps
    320x5 - straps (or not).

Music — Top picks from SiriusXM's Liquid Metal, Corridor of Covers, 35 Years of Slayer: Reign in Blood, 10/8/21 - Slayer vs Steppenwolf, Born to Be Wild; Vader vs Slayer, Raining Blood; The Acacia Strain vs Slayer, Seasons in the Abyss. Great memories over the years, first seeing them play live when they weren't even headlining the 7 bands for $10 show that we saw in the local YMCA basketball court (they put tarp over the floor and let us loose), several times over the decades, then catching their arena show on their farewell tour with Ministry and Primus a few years back. All of that might explain the tinnitus. At least a bit.

Notes
    - SQ - For a Light Day (90% of Wednesday's Heavy day), these sure felt heavy. Although I know that I could have done 3x5, so it wasn't too heavy. But it sure felt that way. Probably because this is midway through "week 2" without a "weekend" between. So every other day since last Thursday (5 training sessions in 8 days).
    - OP - Adding another 90% set to the work set. All good.
    - DL - My first training session with straps (other than when I used them under a coach's guidance). I know that I'll lose some grip strength, but ideally the straps remove that limitation to progress. Or so I thought. I set up with the straps, which felt a tad bit loose, so when I pulled, nothing happened. That made sense. I completely reset, cinched the straps tight, reset, pulled, and nothing happened. Not even a budge of the plates off the floor. So I tossed them aside, reset completely, and pulled 320x5 mixed grip without any issues, as expected. Clearly they are something that I'll have to work with and get used to.

I could never quite get the 'hang' of traditional straps, and found I spent way too much time fussing with them, so I got a set of the figure-8 style and I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    I could never quite get the 'hang' of traditional straps, and found I spent way too much time fussing with them, so I got a set of the figure-8 style and I love them.
    It's strange, since a couple of weeks ago, the SSC that I was having a training session handed some to me and I had zero issues with them.

The only thing that I can think of is that these were brand new, so the material was pretty stiff, where the pair I tried with the SSC were the gym's common set, which were very well used. I do know that I spent a fair bit of time yesterday trying to control them and get them wrapped tightly where they would stay.

I won't give up on them, that's for sure. But I'm still well within my mixed-grip weight capacity, so I may keep with that for a while longer while getting the straps loosened up.

starting strength coach development program
    10/10/21 - Sunday

SQ - M
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    245x1
    270x5x3

OP - I
    45x5
    75x3
    105x1
    125x1
    137.5x1x5

BP - I
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    165x1
    190x1
    207.5x5

RDL
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    185x1
    205x1
    220x8x3

Chins - 7, 6, 6.

Music — Top Picks from SiriusXM's Duff McKagan's Three Chords & The Truth, 10/1/21 - Soundgarden, Blow Up The Outside World. Post-show - Iron Maiden, Die With Your Boots On; Metallica, Harvester of Sorrow.

Notes
    - SQ - Medium day, nothing of note.
    - OP - Intensity day, nothing of note. Simple singles with one minute rest.
    - BP - Intensity day, one single set of 5. Looking back at the logs, I did 3x5 at this weight in early June and that was my PR Bench 3x5. I later did 210x3x3 later in that month, and that's been it. So I am getting back into PR territory here.
    - RDL - Three sets, each with a different grip. The first was hook, at tempo pace so I could maintain the grip; I got all 8, but lost the grip after locking that one out and I trapped it with my thighs to guide it into the hooks. The second was mixed grip, nothing to report. The third set I used the straps, since I couldn't get them working on the deadlift the other day. I realized that I was routing them above and around, not under and around. That's quite a difference in effectiveness. Now to give them a try on the deadlift again. I'm not worried about working grip strength today. For the next four days, I'll be with a trail crew manually building a bridge over a creek in one of our local state parks. There will be plenty of grip work carrying tons of rocks and dirt, plus moving large dimensional lumber. Plenty of grip work.
    - Chin-ups - who in the hell scheduled these? I was mid-way through my RDLs, looking forward to being finished, then saw these in the plan. Oh well, gotta get 'em done. Cumulative total each workout is headed in the right direction since adding these back in just over a week ago - 12, 17, 21. That will do.

Page 12 of 97 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast