starting strength gym
Page 16 of 97 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting to Live

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Of course I wonder where I would be now had I been consistent throughout the summer and fall with the programming. But then again, that would trade lifting for the other activities, which wouldn't happen. It will be interesting to see where I am once I get my volume day to this singles PR level.

Definitely a good call on the cleans. I could feel my lower back today more than I should while doing basic tasks (tying shoes, etc.). I imagine that the impact that heavy deads would have had would have been more significant.

Thank you for the "Plates and Quarters" breakdown in Mr. Bingley's thread.
    Sort of a "oh $#!t, no wonder!" moment for me.
    The importance of that last warmup was lost on me, but this explains much.
    THANKS!

So much to read! Your choices all make sense. However, It’s flirting with disaster, but sometimes you need to “pick a fight” and go crazy. Tickle the dragons tail. At worst you have a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Thank you for the "Plates and Quarters" breakdown in Mr. Bingley's thread.
    Sort of a "oh $#!t, no wonder!" moment for me.
    The importance of that last warmup was lost on me, but this explains much.
    THANKS!
    Glad to help spread some knowledge and experience, Cheesepuff. I do hope that it helps you pushing and pulling those heavy weights!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    So much to read! Your choices all make sense. However, It’s flirting with disaster, but sometimes you need to “pick a fight” and go crazy. Tickle the dragons tail. At worst you have a story.
    I hear ya, Barry. Had this been another travel around the country and visit friends and family, I would have loaded another 5-10lbs and pulled it for reps. Instead, this was going into a 10-day training course that having a tweaked back would have negatively impacted significantly. So the dragon sleeps a bit.

11/13/21 - Saturday

An unplanned day, as I wasn't aware that I would have one day off during my 10-day Wilderness First Responder (WFR) course. This course is overkill for what I typically do, but having taken the lower-level course a couple of times as well as similar emergency response training throughout my military career, it was time to stretch the brain a bit. And since this specific course was being held locally (I can commute most days), I jumped at the chance. WFR often referred to as "Boot Camp for the Brain," but physically, it's not terribly demanding, as there is a lot of class time, but the practical exercises are all outside and this week has been quite rainy, with a bit of snow, and low temperatures. So there's that. Today is a study day, but the brain needed a break, so I decided to do some intensity work so that I don't slip too much.

SQ
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    250x1
    285x5x2 @ 5'

OP
    45x5
    75x3
    105x1
    130x1
    145x1x5 @ 1'

BP
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    165x1
    195x1
    212.5x5 @ 5'

DL
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    305x1 - hook
    325x5 @ 8' - straps

Music — Top Picks from SiriusXM's Liquid Metal, Bloody Roots, Roots of Suicidal Tendencies, 11/6/21 - Suicidal Tendencies, War Inside My Head; Infectious Grooves, Infectious Grooves; Slayer, Memories of Tomorrow; Luicidal, Institucionalizado (as if the song isn't fast enough to begin with, this Spanish-language cover is insane!). Like the "Big 4" (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax) I started catching Suicidal's live shows in smaller venues, then across the country, and several times overseas. I'll never pass up an opportunity to see any of those five bands, but have also seen them enough that if I miss a show nearby, it's not the end of the world.

Notes — It's getting to be a bit cold in the garage.
    - SQ - A bit grindy, as expected, and the first set was grindier than the second. As expected. Working these came in handy this week during a cold-water immersion/hypothermia scenario, where the "victim" was actually sitting in one of the local lakes with a simulated branch impalement in one of his legs. We needed to get him out of the water and moved. The team was discussing, not quite arguing, the best way to pull him out using everyone, which would have hypothetically and realistically put some of the "rescuers" in danger, as some would have had to enter the water near an unstable drop-off (real situation). While they were still discussing, I dropped down, set my hips and back, and scooped him up. Granted, he was a wee fellow, probably 165lbs soaking wet (literally), but he was out of the water and moving to our evaluation/treatment area while they were still discussing the best way to get him out of the water. That is exactly my motivation for doing these training programs (both lifting and emergency response)—being able to move/help someone in case of an emergency.
    - OP - Other than a slight mis-groove on rep #2 which caused me to step forward just a bit on my left before lockout, all went well. I did think about running this out to x7, but knew that I had a lot of studying ahead of me today.
    - BP - Not going to lie. I was concerned about completing this set by rep 4. The last rep was starting to stall at just about the mid-point when I realized that it was too far down my chest. A quick shift towards my head got the bar over my shoulders and it locked out just fine. No doubt the lack of lifting this week was the overall issue, while a bit of form creep didn't help.
    - DL - All good. Actually, a pretty pedestrian set of 5 considering that it has been 9 days since I last pulled heavy.

That's it. See y'all towards the end of the week. Keep at it!

That's for the heads up about the Weughts and Plates podcast you mentioned in Shuggs log.
    It sure spoke the truth

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    That's for the heads up about the Weughts and Plates podcast you mentioned in Shuggs log.
    It sure spoke the truth
    Glad that you found it helpful, Jerry.

11/19/21 - Friday

SQ
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    250x1
    285x5x3 @ 5'

OP - I
    45x5
    75x3
    105x1
    130x1
    147.5x1x5 @ 1'

BP - I
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    165x1
    195x1
    215x5 @ 5' — 215x4 + 215x2 @ 2'

DL
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    305x1
    330x5 @ 8'

Music — Top Picks from SiriusXM's 1st Wave, Billy Idol's Live Transmission, Political/Social Punk, 11/9/21 - MC5, American Ruse; The Ruts, Babylon's Burning; Discharge, Decontrol; Crass, Do They Owe Us A Living?; Dead Kennedy's, California Uber Alles. After those serious themes, the channel followed up with B-52's Private Idaho. I'm not mad.

Notes — Back at it for awhile. I don't have any planned breaks between now and whenever the snowboarding season begins in earnest (typically right after the New Year). We got our first measurable snowfall down here at the valley floor overnight last night, with a good start up in the mountains. We've had a few false starts in the mountains that have been quickly melted back down to ground level, which is fine by me. I'd rather that happen than have a layer of rotten snow at the bottom of the rest, as that makes for horrible avalanche conditions later in the season.
    - SQ - A good session. Nothing to note, other than adding one more set than last week. On Monday I'll get back to volume.
    - OP - I decided to go ahead and just add 2.5lbs to last Saturday's session and see how it would go, considering that I hadn't lifted since then. A couple of odd grooves slowed it down over the head, but all locked out just fine.
    - BP - Same here, I just added 2.5lbs to Saturday's session without an intervening volume session. I started missing the groove on #3, but recovering for that one and #4, but #5 was not in the cards. I crawled out, re-racked, and waited 2' for #5; that one went so smoothly that I threw in a second one for that set and quickly toyed with the idea of #3 and perhaps #4 to make it 215x4x2, but didn't need to get greedy, as this 215 is a PR at any rep scheme, even a single. Matter of fact, it's 50lbs higher than what I finished 2020's short training year with, so I certainly couldn't be upset about this one.
    - DL - Another where I decided to progress, adding 5lbs over Saturday's session without any intervening light or medium pulls. I know that this lift can manage that better than the presses, but I am also in the territory where had I been doing a standard 3x/week program, the cumulative volume of the squat & deadlift would be beating me up to the point that my DL's would start failing. But that wasn't to be today, as the first 3 went fine at a quick tempo [after reminding myself that the first one is a lie], then a bit more methodical reset for #4 and #5. As with the other lifts, this is just giving me a good data point.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 11-19-2021 at 08:31 PM. Reason: wee formatting issue

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    [after reminding myself that the first one is a lie]
    Truth.
    Last edited by David Hooper; 11-20-2021 at 06:41 AM. Reason: fixed the quote

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    Truth.
    That's the fun part about the straps. By taking the grip, arguably the weakest link in the chain, out of the equation, it's a lot easier to remind myself that that first rep not an indication of the rest of the set. A potential downside, as I found yesterday, is that the reaction to the lie could be running through reps 2 & 3 faster to convince myself of the lie, which could lead to sloppy form that could lead to injury. I realized it on the third rep when apparently the bar was in front of mid-foot, so it bounced its way up my shin and knees.

Page 16 of 97 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast