starting strength gym
Page 20 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting to Live

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Great lifts and Happy Holidays Bill!

Will you be recording your snowboarding season maintenance lifts? I'd certainly be interested to see what you do over the next four months.

Do I recall correctly seeing somewhere that you perform your deadlifts without shoes? If so, a 38° garage couldn't have felt that great on the feet, and when/why did you transition to shoe-less?

Yesterday's surf was pretty frigid for San Diego's standards, particularly at first light. 43° air temp with a 6mph wind out of the east. The water was fine at 59°, but the walk back to the car and taking off the wetsuit with cold-induced claw hands took forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    Very good lifts Bill!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too!
    Thank you, Fred. All the best to you and yours in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by rkjohns1 View Post
    Great lifts and Happy Holidays Bill!

Will you be recording your snowboarding season maintenance lifts? I'd certainly be interested to see what you do over the next four months.

Do I recall correctly seeing somewhere that you perform your deadlifts without shoes? If so, a 38° garage couldn't have felt that great on the feet, and when/why did you transition to shoe-less?

Yesterday's surf was pretty frigid for San Diego's standards, particularly at first light. 43° air temp with a 6mph wind out of the east. The water was fine at 59°, but the walk back to the car and taking off the wetsuit with cold-induced claw hands took forever.
    Ryan, I will continue recording them here. These posts serve many purposes, including adding all of the little details that I don't have room for in my logbook. The feedback and banter is a great thing, too. Looking back at last winter, I did a 2-day split - Intensity Squat/Bench on one day, Intensity Deadlift/Press on the other. Two days a week, at least one intensity set for each of the main lifts. I threw chins in there too when things slowed down. More than anything, it minimized my regression through the winter and my NLP come spring was pretty short for most of the lifts.

That's not me. Always with the shoes once I start my training session. Getting set up, I'll walk around out there barefoot, and it does get a bit chilly, but I don't lollygag, so it's not a problem.

It's been a couple of decades since I ducked under a winter wave down there. By that time, I had spent a lot of time in warm water (Japan and Australia) and the 2' slop wasn't enough to keep me engaged. A far cry from being a young teen, keen on learning to surf, without a wetsuit, pushing through winter chasing the big swells. I now know that there were times that we were hypothermic, something I work hard to avoid now.

Hopefully you get more than a few great sessions over the winter!

Default 2021-22 Winter Maintenance Season Begins

12/21/21 - Tuesday

Outside 22°F / Garage 41°F

SQ
    45x10x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    275x1
    305x5

BP
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    170x1
    195x1
    215x5

Music — Top Picks from SiriusXM's Liquid Metal Corridor of Covers, Metallica's 40th, 12/16/21 - Machine Head vs Metallica, Battery; Between the Buried & Me vs Metallica, Blackened; The Hu vs Metallica, Sad But True.

Notes — I'm still quite beat from Friday's PR Fest. It would have been easy to slip another day, but I decided that I needed to get at least one intensity set of each lift to get this seasonal 2-day split rolling.
    - SQ - Even the warmups felt tough from start to finish. I suspected that this would be the case and programmed only a single x5 set, leaving room for one more, but that wasn't to be. No back-offs either, as I didn't need to volume right yet.
    - BP - Warmups felt quite a bit better than the squats, but the single x5 set was in doubt for the last three reps of the set. Slow grinds got them to lockout.

I would love to have your "maintenance" weights Bill!

You playing in the snow yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    I would love to have your "maintenance" weights Bill!

You playing in the snow yet?
    No sense in comparing, Fred. You've got 14+ years on me. Besides, you're right behind me on bench and you're crushing it!

No direct play yet, mostly getting everything ready and waiting on more snow. It's tough right now, as we usually avoid the mountains like the plague during the holiday break due to the crowds. Except for Christmas Day, which is probably the best day to get out on the mountain since everyone stays home.

12/22/21 - Wednesday

OP
    45x5x3
    75x3
    105x1
    120x1
    130x1
    145x1x5

HDL
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    295x1
    325x8 (3x Hook; 5x Mixed)

Music — Top Picks from 70's on 7 — David Bowie, Fame; Cheap Trick, I Want You to Want Me; Commodores, Easy; Carole King, It's Too Late.

Notes
    - OP - For now, I'm running up the Intensity singles until I can't, then I'll drop to 90% or so and start running x5's through the rest of this maintenance period. All good.
    - HDL - I'm going to alternate Halting Deadlifts and Rack Pulls through the winter. Supposedly less stress on the main movers, which I will be abusing the hell out of snowboarding most days. I'm starting these at a lighter percentage than the examples in BBRx and the articles that I can find, as these are apparently pretty rough on the hamstrings to get started. I'm already dealing with tightness back there and up, so no need to really piss things off. I started off with the hook grip, but holding on to that third rep was a concern, so I switched to mixed, which was fine. But yes, these are rough on the hamstrings and lower back, the spots that have been giving me a bit of trouble lately. All good.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 12-22-2021 at 05:20 PM. Reason: formatting

12/27/21 - Monday

SQ @ 5'
    45x10x3
    95x3
    135x1
    185x1
    225x1
    280x1
    310x5

BP @ 5'
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    170x1
    195x1
    217.5x5 (5x1 PR)

Music - Top Picks from SiriusXM's Liquid Metal Corridor of Covers, Lemmy's Bday (24 Dec '45) Bash and Holiday Rager!, 12/23/21 - Beast in Black vs Motörhead, Killed By Death; August Burns Red, Carol of the Bells.

Notes — Temps - Outside 17°F / Inside 39°F — It's still the holiday break, so we're avoiding the crowds that are out trying out their new toys. But, like every year, we had the mountain pretty much to ourselves on Christmas Day. I'll get two 2-day splits in this week, just doing Intensity, not Volume.
    - SQ - Good, but just a touch grindy. Nothing that would have me concerned about doing 3x5, as it's typical when I get into this weight range for this lift.
    - BP - Good, but I wish I was taking video of this set as #4 started to slow and #5 was a looooong, slow press to lockout, long enough that had I had a spotter, a typical one would grab it. But I was not denied. I'm clearly not going to get too far with these single Intensity sets without frequency, but it's fun to try. I'll add 2.5lbs on Thursday and see what happens.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 12-27-2021 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added PR

Good to get the work in and those squats at almost three wheels!

Yep, it's good to be back in that territory. I did a 320x5x3 squat workout back on June 1st, but that was at the time that my deadlift had completely stalled at 340 for over three weeks. I ran across Santana's "Artificially Weak Deadlift" articles and forum discussions, which led me to realize how interrelated the Squat and Deadlift are regarding hip and back stress. So I reset my squat to 295 and my deadlift immediately started going up, just in time for a summer of very inconsistent training, necessitating multiple resets and slow progress due to my prioritizing living.

So while this week gets me to three wheels, I know that soon I'll have to start adding some back-off sets for volume and the resets will soon follow, as the snow is falling hard and piling up fast. Through all of that, thanks for the continued encouragement, Fred!

starting strength coach development program
    This is a very helpful post. Santana's article makes a great deal of sense. I wasn't recovering and my deadlift suffered causing a number of problems. Your perspective is helpful.

Page 20 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast