starting strength gym
Page 72 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting to Live

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Headline: Bill Ander's playlists implode Spotify algorithm.

Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    OMG, New York Dolls. Never heard of them until I was listening to Mexican Morrissey on Independent FM and he mentioned that they were one of Morrissey's favorite bands.

Tonight's listen, that's for sure.
    Thanks for that link to the Independent FM. I'm always looking for new avenues to give a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Headline: Bill Ander's playlists implode Spotify algorithm.

Great stuff!
    Ha! Now that would be funny. It's also why, when I use those services, I do not give anything a thumbs up or down. Their algorithms suck! Plus, if I were to add in my non-lifting listening habits, which are usually completely left field from what I post here, the algorithms lead to a completely schizophrenic listening experience.

When we had only one Spotify, my daughters would play their crap Swift songs and of course the "made for Mike" playlists would be filled with their stuff. Thankfully, once they went their own ways (one to Army, one to college) and got their own Spotifys, I overloaded my Spotify to clear it of their sh!t-music.

I learned many years ago about the crap algorithms after I, apparently during one bourbon-fueled Pandora listening session, decided for some reason to click thumbs up on a Coldplay song. After that, all roads led to Coldplay. It didn't matter if I was listening to rock, punk, R&B, classical, etc., within a dozen songs that damn Coldplay song came on. So I spent a few days going through the history and removing all of the up/down thumbs. Now each channel stays relatively true to the genre that I selected. At least for a few hours.

6/11/23 - Sunday

OP H @ 2'
    45x5x3
    75x3
    105x1
    130x1
    150x1
    167.5x1x5

BP L @ 3'
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    212.5x5x3

Music Fat Boys, Can You Feel It; Q-Tip, Breathe And Stop; Outkast, Jazzy Belle; Whodini, Freaks Come Out At Night; LL Cool J, The Force (new stuff!); Run-D.M.C., It's Like That; Da Brat/Notorious B.I.G., Da B Side; Missy Elliot, Work It.

Notes
    - OP - Heavy Singles across. All good. The mind started wandering from the start, which eventually made #3 slower than I had in me. A mental reset and focus got me two final snappy reps.
    - BP - Light sets across. All good.

I've been meaning to ask: how's the RP/HDL combo been working out for you?

Fantastic! I don't get the overload sensations that I did from the weekly DLs, especially coupled with heavy SQs. Both continue to climb and I'm already surpassing my x5 DL weights with my x8 HDLs. The trick was finding the right weight to start the HDLs, which is lower than the words on this site might suggest. So far this season the only issue with the programmed weights has been in my head when I start to think about the number on the bar.

If you're getting thrashed by weekly/every 10-day DLs, consider either 14-day DLs or switching to alternating RP/HDLs. It's been quite manageable for me this year.

Good to hear. I'm doing alright so far, but I'll keep that in the back pocket. I just switched to doing light squats on deadlift day to manage the stress, so I hope to be good for a few sessions. It's always good to have a plan, though, and that was one I was keeping an eye on.

6/12/23 - Monday

SQ H @ 4'
    45x10x2
    135x5
    225x3
    275x1
    315x1
    345x1
    385x1x5

PC @ 3'
    65x5x2
    105x3
    125x1
    145x1
    162.5x3x5

Music — The Cramps vs Ronnie Cook and The Gaylads, Goo Goo Muck; Devo, Gates Of Steel; Adolescents, Amoeba; Reagan Youth, Urban Savages; Anti-Nowhere League, So What (live); Joan Jett & The Blackhearts vs The Stooges, I Wanna Be Your Dog; Fear, Let's Have A War; Agent Orange vs Dead Kennedys, Police Truck (live); Fugazi, Two Beats Off; Minor Threat, Minor Threat.

Notes
    - SQ - Heavy Singles across. Smooth and steady. That doesn't mean it was easy, but it was smooth and steady. All good.
    - PC - Heavy Triples across. First set was a train wreck, catching the bar on the belt for the first rep (I forgot to rotate the buckle around to my side as I was talking with my bride), initiating the jump too early on the second, and barely getting under the third. I cleaned up the rest. All good.

starting strength coach development program
    6/14/23 - Wednesday

BP H @ 3'
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    252.5x1x5

OP L @ 3'
    45x5x2
    75x3
    105x1
    120x1
    132.5x5x3

Music Jelly Roll, Need A Favor; Beartooth, Sunshine (seeing them w/ Trivium tonight. Thanks Vettix!); Metallica, If Darkness Had A Son; Linkin Park, Lost.

Notes
    - BP - Heavy Singles across. Smooth and steady. I probably could have gone +5lbs on these to make a limit 5x1 workset, but there was no way to know until I was done. All good.
    - OP - Light sets across. All good.

Page 72 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast