360x8 s

SQ L @ 5'
    45x10x2
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    275x1
    315x5x32

Music Blondie, Hanging On The Telephone; Kobra & The Lotus vs Rush, The Spirit Of Radio; Morgan Lander (Kittie)/Jeff Phillips (Thine Eyes Bleed)/Michael Sage (Genocide) vs Prong, Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck; Unleash The Archers vs Queensryche, Queen Of The Reich; Cancer Bats vs Beastie Boys, Sabotage.

Notes
    - HDL - Heavy Set. Brutal. Soul-crushing. Reps 1-5 went smooth, starting slowing on 6, 7 swung away from my left shin on the way up, and too many breaths before 8, which was real slow to the knees. Lower back started screaming at me as the plates hit the floor on those last few reps (a long-time problem with any of the forms of heavy Deadlifs). Thankfully the rack is right in front of me at the end of the set, because it's all that keeps me from face planting after the set is done. All good.
    - SQ - Light sets across. Originally programmed for three sets, dropped to two due to time constraints and other programming/life considerations over the next few days. All good.

7/8/23 - Saturday

OP H @ 5'
    45x5x3
    75x3
    105x1
    135x1
    152.5x5x4

Music B-52s, Dance This Mess Around; Pet Shop Boys, Yesterday When I Was Mad; Carlos Santana, Winning; David Bowie, Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps).

Notes Single lift today (and the next few days), starting my next 3-week cycle while dealing with time constraints. The light sessions will have to wait so frequency will take a hit, but I shall manage.
    - OP - Heavy sets across. The first set was a strugglefest, which wasn't surprising considering the lack of frequency these past two weeks and the other work. The second set was much smoother, although rep #5 really slowed. Set three was smooth and steady throughout as I clearly re-found the precise groove (don't get cocky, kid!). The last set was smooth, even as the last two reps slowed about mid-way overhead to lockout, moving enough that completion was never a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Thankfully the rack is right in front of me at the end of the set, because it's all that keeps me from face planting after the set is done. All good.
    You have a funny definition of "all good". I can relate.

It's been interesting reading your experience on your 4-day split. It's an approach I'm strongly looking at once I run out my NLP. It's about an hour to 1.5 hours on any given day, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by David Hooper View Post
    It's been interesting reading your experience on your 4-day split. It's an approach I'm strongly looking at once I run out my NLP. It's about an hour to 1.5 hours on any given day, yes?
    It's a great program, Hooper. Each session is 1-1.5hrs, although I have played with the time-saving warmup method, interweaving the warmups for the second lift with the work sets of the first. It requires two bars and more available weights, but I managed to get a Heavy Press/Light Bench workout done in about 40 minutes. I tried the same with Haltings/Light Squats and it ended up being about the same as if I had done them serially, but that's because I took longer breaks during the last few squat warmups and before the work sets due to being gassed from the Haltings. I'm sure I could get the regular sessions down to right at an hour each day, but I'm usually not that pressed for time.

One thing that I've done is put the heavy lift first no matter what, since that's the focus. It makes the light lift tougher, but I'd rather have that than run the risk of missing a rep on the heavy lift, which is the focus of the day.

As you'll recall, the volume from a standard HLM program was beating me up. That was a negative impact on not just the lifts, but life in general. The volume from this program is only slightly less, but other than the heavy volume Squat day, which comes around once every fourth week, I don't feel completely gassed the rest of the day and into the following day. Everything keeps moving forward. I do highly recommend it.

Good to know. I just need to figure out if I can make a 4-day split work. My gym is closed Sundays, or I'd be doing Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday and minimize the impact on work days. I also need a plan B for weeks that get shortchanged by life. If I can get those in hand, that's probably the route I'll go.

I hear the volume argument. The big one for me is the lower back. Heavy squats and deadlifts both wreck it, so doing two or three lifts after heavy squats is just brutal. Keeping my deadlift well ahead of my squat has helped this time around, though.

Good to know. I just need to figure out if I can make a 4-day split work. My gym is closed Sundays, or I'd be doing Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday and minimize the impact on work days. I also need a plan B for weeks that get shortchanged by life. If I can get those in hand, that's probably the route I'll go.
    I've been playing with it since Spring '22. It's quite flexible. Plan B is to just get the heavy lifts done in any number of sessions that makes sense (e.g., one session DOES NOT make sense, as it would be Heavy Squat, Heavy Pull, Heavy Press, and Heavy Bench. You might as well be doing TM!). After that, just add in the light sessions as you need. For a week where you have to cut one session, just double up heavy lifts on one day, then keep the Heavy/Light sessions for the other two days.

Another bonus of the programming is if it's anything but the first week of the three-week cycle (e.g., Heavy Triples week or Heavy Singles week), you can miss the session and it won't negatively impact overall progress. The following session might be a bit of a struggle fest, but progress continues. The first week is the key week, as that's the Heavy Volume that drives everything. The following weeks pull everything forward but aren't crucial to the first week of the next cycle. The second week is a blend of Volume & Intensity while the third week is straight Intensity. That's exactly where I was today with my Heavy Volume Presses (152.5x5x4), a bit of a struggle fest since I missed last week's Intensity Singles (170x1x5), but they got done because I've been above that weight for many reps already.

I hear the volume argument. The big one for me is the lower back. Heavy squats and deadlifts both wreck it, so doing two or three lifts after heavy squats is just brutal. Keeping my deadlift well ahead of my squat has helped this time around, though.
    Yep, the lower back is the killer. I had success in '22 dropping my Squat to let the Deadlift keep going up, but I was also reaching a point where a weekly Deadlift was stressing the lower back too much. That was the impetus behind switching to Haltings/Rack Pulls, which was a crucial programming change. Right now, my Haltings are just +5lbs over my Heavy Volume Squats (and my lower back screams at me every time I am finishing those Haltings, but not afterwards). Since I missed last week's Rack Pulls, I am now sitting at +85lbs over that same Squat number for those and I do not have any lower back issues like I used to.

Again, I'm a huge proponent of the 4-Day Heavy/Light Split as it's outlined in BBRx. I also know that it's not the end-all-to-be-all. Just run it for a bit and you'll pick up on the elements that work for you (or don't).

Keep at it!

7/9/23 - Sunday

BP H @ 5'
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    215x1
    237.5x5x4
    237.5x5x3 + 237.5x4 + 237.5x1

Music — Corrosion Of Conformity, Clean My Wounds (Live); Metallica, To Live Is To Die; Tool, Bottom.

Notes — Another single lift day due to time constraints and programming considerations over the next couple of weeks. I had planned on doing this before noon, when the garage was cooler, but our water meter replacement dude showed up at the very end of his time window, which pushed everything a few hours.
    - BP - Heavy sets across. The first set was all over the place, form-wise. The second set was much cleaner, but slowed a fair bit the last two reps. The third set was cleaner, but the last rep was a long slog to the hooks; I'm not entirely convinced I locked that rep out before getting it into the hooks, but it didn't end up on my face, so there's that. Going into that set, I started feeling like a sugar crash was coming on, which is odd, since I typically don't eat much unnatural sugar or processed carbs and my fueling today has been normal; I sucked down a small can of fully-leaded Coke that we keep on hand for these rare occasions, but it was too late for this set. I tacked on a couple of extra minutes before the fourth set. The first three reps were smooth, the fourth slowed a bit and I wasn't concerned about the fifth. Unfortunately, that fifth got a few inches off the chest and completely stalled. It has been quite a while since I've had to put a bench down into the safeties, but there it is. I'm not worried about it, considering all of the other things that I have going on right now; it's just not something that I wanted. Re-racked and knocked out that last rep after a couple of minutes. Onward and upward.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 07-09-2023 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    7/9/23 - Sunday

BP 237.5x5x3 + 237.5x4 + 237.5x1

Music — Corrosion Of Conformity, Clean My Wounds (Live)

It has been quite a while since I've had to put a bench down into the safeties, but there it is.
    Thanks for the link for COC. I already downloaded that sucker. Great so far!

When I was younger and lifting I had to do the "crawl of shame" from under a failed bench quite a few times lol. All I had was a notched 2" tube to set it on too. No safety bars and that may be why my squat was never tried much over 350 back then as dropping the bar was not an option at any of the places I lived.

That's why I linked it, Fred. I knew you'd enjoy it. Great show!

I scrolled back through the logs and it has been over a year since I last crawled out from under the bar on Bench. In the early years, it was often as I hadn't figured out a lot of things. I figured that this was a chance going into this session, especially considering that I did Heavy Press yesterday. Normally it's three days between those days, but that's just the way it needs to be this week. That's why I'm not putting much stock into missing the very last rep of the fourth set.

Safety bars are a wonderful thing. Especially like today, when I am home alone. I've demonstrated the situation to my bride so that she knows that I can crawl out. No need for her to get home, open the garage, and see me lying there all purple and such. She might get mad.

starting strength coach development program
    7/10/23 - Monday

SQ H @ 7'
    45x10x3
    135x5
    225x3
    275x1
    315x1
    355x5x4
    355x2
    335x5
    335x3

Music Front 242, Special Forces; Cabaret Voltaire, Sex, Money, Freaks; Peter Murphy, Tale Of The Tongue; Sisters Of Mercy, More; 'Til Tuesday, Love In A Vacuum.

Notes Another single lift day (see above).
    - SQ - Heavy sets across. The warmups went fine and with the first rep of the first set, I reminded myself that the first set is a lie. The second rep slowed considerably. The third rep barely made it out of the hole. A lie, or reality right now with all of my other competing interests (and perhaps insufficient fueling)? That's the first time in years that I've had to put a squat into the safeties; I haven't missed it. Instead of trying for a second set, I decided to drop 20lbs and climb back up to see how that goes. And it didn't. The 335x5 was already slowing by the second rep and the third barely got to lockout. Somewhat frustrating, considering that I did 370x3x4 a couple of weeks ago. But I've had a lot going on since then, and with my trying to squeeze in these heavy single lift days over the weekend, this was my fifth heavy lift day in a row. So I shouldn't be too surprised. Just not what I wanted going into this next break.

Page 75 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast