starting strength gym
Page 78 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting to Live

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    8/14/23 - Monday

Pin Press
    175x1 (warmup after 45-155 OP reps below)
    190x1
    195x1

OP - I @ 2'
    45x5x3
    95x3
    135x1
    155x1
    177.5x1x5
    167.5x1x4

BP V @ 5'
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    227.5x4x4

Music Fugazi, Exit Only; Osees, Intercepted Message; The Fall, Pat-Drip Dispenser; Laut Fragen, Wer Ist Denn Schon?; Shrinkwrap Killers, Hollow Animated Shells; Beastie Boys, Egg Man.

Notes
    - Pin Press - Intensity Single. Programmed for 190x1, but I'm still trying to figure out where I really am with this new lift. Setup is everything; for the 175x1 warmup rep, I was too close to the rack uprights, when I felt as I started to press, which made for a very wonky out-of-the-groove lift. For the 190x1, I set up a good 6-8" further from the uprights and it went quickly and smoothly, so I added 5lbs. That 195lbs broke quickly and moved above my head, but as I shifted forward to get my head and shoulders under the bar, I simultaneously pushed the bar too far forward out of the groove and I couldn't rescue it. I have to get this timing down. But, to keep this in perspective, my last Pin Press heavy single was 185x1, so this is still a +5lb jump.
    - OP - Intensity Singles across. The first rep was a lie, but not a surprise after the effort required of the Pin Press. The second stuck right at forehead level and I just couldn't get it moving after that. That's when I went back in the training log and smacked my forehead. I'm not successful at 177.5lbs because I wasn't successful at 175lbs, and that was two weeks ago. I never should have loaded this on the bar. But that's also what I get when I take a break and lose track of where I actually was with a lift (and, to be honest, I've been distracted by a lot of other things, too). The reset 167.5x1x4 went smooth and steady, yet not a grind. This is where I needed to be.
    - BP - Volume sets across. All good.

8/15/23 - Tuesday
    Outside 99F / Garage 81F

Pause SQ
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    275x1
    315x1 p
    350x1 p

Box SQ 14" @ 4'
    340x2x2

SQ H @ 6-8'
    360x3x4

Rows @ 3'
    65x5
    115x3
    135x2
    155x3x3
    185x3x3

Music Kernkraft 400, Zombie Nation; Linkin Park, Faint; Slipknot, Sulfur; Tool, Aenema; Korn, Shoots And Ladders; Metallica vs The Misfits, Die, Die My Darling.

Notes It's a hot one, already 98F outside. Thankfully it's right around 20% humidity.
    - Pause SQ - Heavy Single @ 2-count. Smooth and steady.
    - Box SQ - Heavy Doubles. The last time I did these, two weeks ago, I had the box at 16", so my contact ended up being the hamstrings, so the squats were likely not deep enough. But then again, I had the box fairly far forward in the rack. But I set this up for 14" and sat on it, which put me right at depth (so it seems). And that seemed to be the sweet spot, as I slowed into the hole, reached back for contact, the drove up out of the hole as soon as I felt the box. And by drive I mean slow, steady, hard effort. About midway between explosive and grind.
    - SQ - Triples Across. Normally a 5' rest between sets if I was going straight into these sets, but between the Pause/Box SQs just prior and the temperature, I gave myself a bit more time. The first two sets were a bit of a grind, which was no surprise. Then I started thinking about the number of Intensity reps that I was doing between these sets and the two SQ variations, so I looked at the details in my program spreadsheet. I sure messed this one up. I had 360x4x4 programmed; the way these triples were going, there was no way that I would grind out a fourth rep. Based on these last few sessions, clearly I need a mental reset on my program so that I can get back on track with what I should be doing. This is the week to do it, as I was supposed to head into the backcountry today for a week, but that crew got cancelled on Sunday, opening up 10 days for training that I did not anticipate having. Even after a lot of self-talk to drop this to three sets, I didn't put up with that bullshit from myself and knocked out that fourth set, which was no more, nor less, grindy than the first three sets. All good.
    - Rows - Light pull. First time doing these, so it's really weight exploration. As noted, I had thought that 155lbs would be a good starting point, but the 135x2 flew up quite easily, so I just went +50lb for 185lbs. That was still a decent weight, not too heavy, but one where I really needed to make sure that I didn't drive the bar into my xyphoid process like I did at 135lbs. I can probably go +20lbs for the next session. All good.

8/17/23 - Thursday

Pin BP I @ 3'
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    210x1
    235x1
    260x1
    230x2x3

BP I @ 5'
    245x3x4

OP V @ 2'
    45x5x2
    95x3
    125x1
    145x2x12

Music Melvins w/ Helms Alee**, Data Control / Galloping Mind F*k; High On Fire, Last; The Sword, Fire Lances Of The Ancient Hyperzephyrians; Tool, H.; Weedeater, Hammerhandle; Electric Wizard, We Hate You; Helmet, In The Meantime; Young Widows, Miss Tambourine Wrist.

Notes
    - Pin BP - Intensity single w/ backoff doubles across, 2-count to focus on keeping tight. Top single went just fine. I probably could have rode it up in +2.5lb increments, since I'm still trying to figure out where I am with this lift, but decided to stick with this. The backoff sets felt heavy as hell too, but were great to keep focusing on tightness. All good.
    - BP - Intensity Triple sets across. These are tough after those Pin BPs. My setup was all over the place each set, which did not help things. But I got them done. All good.
    - OP - Volume doubles across. All good.

** New collaboration between these two bands, due to be released this coming Sunday. I've been a Melvins fan since the early '90s, so I didn't miss my chance to see them up close and personal last year. Helms Alee, a band that I had never heard, was the warmup act. After the show, I walked out with a stack of Helms Alee albums and absolutely nothing from the Melvins merch stand. You might like these, Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    8/17/23 - Thursday.

** New collaboration between these two bands, due to be released this coming Sunday. I've been a Melvins fan since the early '90s, so I didn't miss my chance to see them up close and personal last year. Helms Alee, a band that I had never heard, was the warmup act. After the show, I walked out with a stack of Helms Alee albums and absolutely nothing from the Melvins merch stand. You might like these, Fred.
    Ha... I actually checked the music out and downloaded those two before I came back to read the rest of the post. I haven't listened to Buzz play and sing for a while so it was a good time. In the past I have listened to Buzz on quite a few interviews and he's interesting and funny as hell. If you search through their catalog you can find some Sabbath influence in his riffs. He also said when Black Flag came through and were playing their slower style in the mid eighties it changed their direction a bit.

Nice lifting by the way. I would tell you to keep it up but I think you have that covered!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    Ha... I actually checked the music out and downloaded those two before I came back to read the rest of the post. I haven't listened to Buzz play and sing for a while so it was a good time. In the past I have listened to Buzz on quite a few interviews and he's interesting and funny as hell. If you search through their catalog you can find some Sabbath influence in his riffs. He also said when Black Flag came through and were playing their slower style in the mid eighties it changed their direction a bit.
    Funny enough, tomorrow (8/18/23) they (The Melvins) are selling a very limited edition (25 bundles) of their 2018 Black Sabbath cover EP (Side A - Black Sabbath; Side B - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath). No price listed, but they will disappear quick!

They are swinging back through town again over Labor Day weekend, this time with Boris (another excellent band to check out). I can't swing it, as we have visitors that weekend.

Re: Black Flag - that album, My War, is my favorite of the band's discography, for that very reason. Side A is classic punk and Side B is very Sabbath-influenced doom. Critics at the time hated it, which made me enjoy it even more. All around excellence. I'm thankful to have had the chance to see them before they split.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    Nice lifting by the way. I would tell you to keep it up but I think you have that covered!
    Thanks! It has been a weird month, with several longer breaks. I was even supposed to be in the backcountry right now, but that got cancelled just a couple of days ago. Having those breaks coinciding with transitioning from my previous programming to this new programming really has had my brain scrambled re: where I actually am with the lifts.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 08-17-2023 at 09:28 PM.

I have heard Boris before. Black Flag-My War. I could not remember that name.

Have you ever listened to that 2018 Black Sabbath cover EP?

I did just find this that I do not remember hearing before...https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...B&opi=89978449

This should have been a good Friday show also...5 bucks?Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 00-39-25 Melvins-Iron Man (Black Sabbath cover) (03_21_86).jpg

Yep, those were some cheap, but good shows. That was the going rate, regardless of the playbill. The first time I saw Slayer, they were part of a lineup of 7 bands for $5. And they weren't the headliner.

Honestly, it's the same price now, considering inflation. That $5 in 1984 is ~$14 now. That's pretty much the price of the local scene shows now when a touring band comes through.

what are the notations after your lifts ie: V@ 2' ?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    what are the notations after your lifts ie: V@ 2' ?
    Cole - just notes to remind me what type of day it was for that lift and how many minutes rest between sets.

In your example, it was a Volume day for my presses, with a 2-minute rest between sets.

The other lifts that day (Pin & Bench) were Intensity day lifts, with 3- and 5-minute rests.

I recently switched that notation, as prior to July 30th I was running the 4-Day Heavy/Light Split as described in BBRx, so you'd see H @ x' and L @ x' for those sessions.

Page 78 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast