365x3x2 s

Box SQ V @ 5'
    45x5x2
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    275x1
    315x4x4

Music — Not much. A wildfire blew up in the last couple of hours and has swept into and through one of the smaller towns that's upwind of us. I'm keeping the live feed going, which is reminiscent of living in OKC and watching the live news as a major tornado sweeps through town, just slower motion. It's impacting quite a few of the local news presenters who are trying to hold it together while they share video and texts from family directly affected.

Notes
    - DL - Heavy Triple w/ 90% backoff set. First actual from-the-floor heavy deadlifts since mid-December, so this number is a guess. An educated guess based on my Haltings and Rack Pulls, but it's still an unknown today. And the guess was wrong. The 365lb warmup with mixed grip went great, so I wasn't concerned about the strapped 405lb triple. That first pull off the floor was slow (no surprise) and got up to lockout without any issues. The second pull hovered just off the floor but wouldn't move. I completely reset and couldn't get it to budge. So 405lbs was not the number today for a triple. For comparison, my last triple pull off the floor was 370lbs back in 12/9/22 and my last 410lb single was on 12/1622; with the work that I've put in since then, this shouldn't have been such a struggle, but it was. I initially thought to reset to 95% (385lbs) for the remaining two reps, but thought better of that and, instead, added a second set to the 90% backoff. Both sets went fine.
    - Box SQ - Light sets across at 14", really focusing on the eccentric—mostly because I don't want to smack my tender bits on the box—so these were slow. All good.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 08-21-2023 at 11:52 AM.

8/21/23 - Monday

Pin OP
    175x1
    195x1 **see note below
    192.5x1

OP I @ 2'
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x3
    155x1
    170x1x5

BP V @ 5'
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    175x1
    205x1
    230x4x4

Music Discharge, Tomorrow Belongs To Us; The Smiths, Hand In Glove; Sun Below vs Sleep, Dragonaut; Voivod vs Pink Floyd, The Nile Song.

Notes Slow start. I got up early with the intent of getting the workout in before noon. Then I sat down on the couch with my bride and drank coffee while catching up on the Hilary news out of CA. That was cozy. That led to talk of me doing my workout later in the afternoon. Eventually I had to get up and refill the coffee, so I just headed out to the garage, finishing closer to 1pm.
    - Pin Press - Intensity Single. Standard OPs up through 155x1 for warmup, then switched to Pin height. Focused on shrugging the bar off the pins, which worked great. **Full disclosure after the way last week's 190x1 felt, I got cheeky/greedy and went for 195x1 today, knowing that it was a stretch; squeezing the shoulders definitely helped get it a couple of inches off the pins, but it wouldn't go from there. So I laughed at my greed, reset to 192.5lbs, rested for a moment, and squeezed that to lockout. That marks the end of my exploring where I need to be for this lift. Onward and upward from here.
    - OP - Intensity Singles across. Overall, smooth and steady. Reps #2 and #5 got just a bit forward, which slowed them down, but no concerns about lockout. All good.
    - BP - Volume sets across. All good.

8/22/23 - Tuesday

Pause SQ I
    45x10x3
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    275x1
    315x1
    355x1

Box SQ I @ 4'
    345x2x2

SQ I @ 7'
    365x4x4

HDL V @ 4'
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    305x3x3 h

Music Bad Brains, I; The Go-Gos, Our Town; Wire, 12XU; The Velvet Underground, Rock And Roll; Spandau Ballet, To Cut A Long Story Short; The Damned, Sick Of Being Sick; Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, Bauhaus Staircase (released just as I started this workout).

Notes After last week's 100+ heat and smoke from the massive local wildfires putting us at #1 in the US and in the top 5 list for the entire world for worst air quality, the passing of the remains of Hilary set up a chain reaction of atmospheric shifting that has brought a soaking rain and fantastic 62 temps. I actually had to break out the hoodie this morning. I won't complain about the humidity (too much).
    - Pause SQ - 2-count Intensity single. Stayed tight while hanging out at the bottom, then smoothly drove it up. Good.
    - Box SQ - Intensity Doubles at 14". These are tough! I realized that the intent of these is to spend more time under tension than a standard SQ, similar to the Pause SQ. Plus, they really help focus on getting the hips back towards the wall while going slow into the hole (to keep from smashing the tender bits). All good.
    - SQ - Intensity sets across. I had scribbled my standard 5' rest period, but realized that last week I was running 6'-8' (granted, it was 100 outside then, not 60 like today, but it is much more humid today), so I bumped it to 7'. That makes sense, since the Pause (97%) and Box (95%) SQs take quite a bit out of me heading into these sets. The last reps of sets 1-3 were pretty grindy, but no concerns. That's when I looked at my programming spreadsheet, where last Tuesday I did 360x3x4, working towards this week's 365x4x4, which the 4x4s is where I should be on my program. With those extra reps in mind, I pushed my rest to 9' before the last set, during which I shoveled down a fair bit of crap sugar and caffeine to get me through the session (my bride reminded me that we're usually done with our brunch by this time). And I needed that extra time. First rep, I must have dive-bombed, because I lost the tension before coming out of the hole, which made for a very rough climb to lockout, but I learned; reps 2-3 were good, as I kept tight, while rep 4 was an absolute grind to lockout, which I expected. But it went. All good.
    - HDL - Light triples across. Slow, steady focus on pushing the ground while keeping the shoulders out over the bar. All good.

Looks like you did a squat workout before doing a squat workout...whew! But then I'm a puss! Those 4 rep sets are getting on up there!

I had wondered if you were close to the fires and smoke. Glad it has cooled off a bit for you.

As you can see it's so hot here the thermometer has turned on it's side lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No kidding. I am learning that Tuesday is my "don't plan anything" day. This one cooks me. Thankfully I have an understanding bride. Tomorrow, though, the honey-do list is looming large.

Yep, we're sandwiched between the two big fires here. Plenty of ash covering things, but luckily (for us) the wind shifted late Friday and started pushing the more concerning one away. Hopefully the rain and the cooler weather gets them put down over the next day or so.

8/24/23 - Thursday

Pin BP I @ 3'
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    210x1
    235x1
    262.5x1 pin
    235x2x3 pin

BP I @ 5'
    247.5x3x4

OP V @ 2'
    45x5x2
    95x3
    125x1
    147.5x2x12

Music Tool, Sober; Adolescents, Amoeba; UK Subs, Warhead; The Jam, In The City; The Stranglers, Always The Sun; Joan Jett vs The Doors, Love Me Two Times; The Damned, Love Song; Circle Jerks, Wild In The Streets; Generation X vs John Lennon, Gimme Some Truth.

Notes
    - Pin BP - Intensity Single w/ Backoff Double sets. Tough, but all good. I'm not doing a 2-count, but they're pretty close. I just make sure that the bar has settled onto the safeties and I'm remaining tight before initiating the press.
    - BP - Triple sets across. These are a heck of a lot tougher, being done on the heels of those Pin BPs. They would have been tougher if, after I was already set up and ready to unrack the bar, I hadn't realized that I needed to reset the safeties to full bench press depth. The first set was a lie. The rest went well. Note: After the turmoil of the last couple of months, I'm back to my 4x3 PR set on 7/20/23. That BBRx 4-Day Heavy/Light Split program had me setting a new 4x3 PR ever third week; this 4-Day Heavy/Light program that Chase scribbled out for me after he identified that I was being too conservative has me setting that PR every week.
    - OP - Volume doubles. All good.

8/25/23 - Friday

RP H @ 6'
    135x4
    225x2
    315x1 h
    365x1 m
    415x1 m
    460x3; 425x1 s
    415x3
    405x3

Box SQ L @ 5'
    45x10x2
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    275x1
    315x4x4

Music — Poison The Well vs Smashing Pumpkins, Today; Eighteen Visions vs Nirvana, Scentless Apprentice; UFO, Lights Out.

Notes
    - RP - Heavy Triple w/ 90% backoff Triple. Warmups went great. No issues, no concerns. But that 460lbs was welded to the safeties. Not even a slight lift then stall. I did a complete reset, walked around to review my technique, and gave it a second try, with the same result. I mulled over my options here, which included just doing two sets of the backoff weight, but that would miss the Intensity. So my plan was to walk up to 460lbs via singles, starting with 425lbs (92%). But that pull was the same, welded to the safeties. I kept checking and rechecking my plate math, but nothing was off. Clearly I failed in recovery somewhere, perhaps even that extra set of Haltings that I did on Tuesday did me in, even though that was 66% of this programmed weight. Perhaps it was even just doing light Haltings instead of Cleans a few days prior to this Heavy RP, since the Haltings are twice as heavy as the Cleans. Clearly it's time to do some looking at the flow of these pulling lifts, as even the 405lbs was welded to the safeties. At that point I know that I had put a lot of stress on the system, so I called it. So it goes...
    - Box SQ - Light sets across at 14". After that RP experience, I was ready to call it a day, as my head was no longer in the game due to the 20 other plates spinning in the air. Warming up these SQs was interesting, with tightness across the lower back, and the 275x1 felt brutal. I loaded 315lbs anyway. Approaching that, I was already trying to figure out how I was going to get the bar down onto the safeties with the box in the rack with me which, while a valid concern, should not have been an issue with just 315lbs on the bar. Getting under it and standing up, it felt 50+lbs heavier and I just couldn't get settled and balanced. So today is a first for a workout. I just quit.

eta: It's not anything that I will dwell on. But I will relook where I clearly messed up my recovery factors.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 08-25-2023 at 07:37 PM.

i never know whats best - to just take weight off the bar and get the volume in, or to just call it a day and allow recovery. probably the latter. anyways, pulling is what fatigues me the most, by far. i could squat and press all day and be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Gorton View Post
    i never know whats best - to just take weight off the bar and get the volume in, or to just call it a day and allow recovery. probably the latter. anyways, pulling is what fatigues me the most, by far. i could squat and press all day and be fine
    For everything else, I'll drop weight and get some volume in. But not for the heavy pulls. I learned a couple of years ago that trying to find that weight that will pull for reps is too taxing, and ends up being quite light. The four separate attempts yesterday (460 2x, 425, 405) were stressful enough that my back was fried all evening.

re: the Box SQs - turned out that my concern about the safeties was valid, although the weight shouldn't have been an issue. Once I got the plates pulled, I did the movement with an empty bar to simulate having to put it down on the safeties. With the box in place and me planted to it, I would have had to roll the bar over my neck and head to get it onto the safeties. We saw recently how well that works. So now I know that I need to put the safeties up higher for my box squats.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    Looks like you did a squat workout before doing a squat workout...whew!
    Bill I am going to look at it from an old geezer outlook. Last Tuesday was a lot on the back IMHO. Not much time to recover before yesterday. You will work it out I am sure as you always do. I wish that I had some of your lifting mojo here lately...lol.

Page 79 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast