starting strength gym
Page 87 of 96 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting to Live

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    That sinus crap has still got me too. All of a sudden I feel like I'm drowning in crap until I cough it up. Yuk
    Yep, that's the stuff. And many other impacts that I won't get into here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    Remind me what were you doing for maintenance season.
    I'll probably do what I was doing last winter, with one Intensity session for each of the major 4 lifts, and a session of Light Volume for the Press and Bench, if I can.

Looking back at a sample week mid-January, I did:

(Wednesday) — SQ Intensity x5, with 90%x5x2 back-off sets; BP Intensity 3x5

(Saturday) — OP - Intensity 3x5; RP Intensity x5

(Sunday) — OP - Light 3x5; BP Light 3x5; Cleans Light 5x3

Of course, the days of the week don't matter much. I'll just fit them in when I can once I get started.

I may fall back to normal training once Thanksgiving week rolls around and run that as long as I can before the snow pulls me to the mountains. At that point I'll definitely jump into maintenance training.

Not mentioned in all of this is that there won't be a Mock Meet™ this year. Almost entirely across the board, this year's peaks were a couple of months back. Once I realized that, I decided to just let it go. I'm not bothered by that, as I started looking at where I am now compared to where I was this time last year with each of the lifts. I'm ahead on both the OP and BP. My issues with the SQ and Pulls have me at least at the same point, although my yearly peaks for both a few months back were quite a bit ahead. The upside is that I learned a lot from my experiences this summer and fall with programming and what works for me. Probably most importantly, I especially learned what not to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    11/1/23 - Wednesday

SQ LV
    45x10x3
    95x5
    135x5
    185x5
    225x10

Pin OP I
    180x1
    200x1

OP I @ 3'
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x3
    155x1
    170x1x5

Pin BP I
    245x1
    272.5x1 (oops - see below)
    272.5x1

BP I @ 3'
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    257.5x1x5
    thats a hell of a session

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Gorton View Post
    thats a hell of a session
    On paper it looks that way, Cole, but it went no longer than a normal session for me (~90 minutes). The Pin variants fold nicely into the warmup sets, then straight into the work sets for the standard lifts. I've had some slog workouts this year, and this didn't even approach that level of drudgery.

11/2/23 - Thursday

SQ LV
    45x10x3
    95x5
    135x5
    195x5
    235x10

RP I @ 4'
    135x4
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    365x1 h
    405x1 s
    425x1 s
    425x1 s (oops)
    445x1 s

Music — Agent Orange, Too Young To Die; Crimson Ghostbusters vs The Misfits vs The Clash, London Dungeon Calling (brilliant mashup); From Hell vs KISS, God Of Thunder; Vajra vs Pat Benatar, Love Is A Battlefield; Cancer Bats vs Black Sabbath, Iron Man; Imperial Triumphant vs Rush, Jacob's Ladder; Khemmis vs Lead Belly, In The Pines.

Notes — I really don't have time for this workout, but needed to try and get a heavy pull in before being gone through the weekend. Poor sleep last night probably won't help much, but it's gotta get done.
    - SQ - Light Volume warmup set to address the on-going adductor issue plus get ready for the pulls. I'm not going to lie, these x10s are starting to suck. The adductor feels much better, but it's still talking to me.
    - Rack Pulls - Exploratory Intensity Singles. I really have no idea where to load these, as it has been months since I've had a successful heavy pull, whether it be in the rack (455x3/410x3 on 8/11/23) or from the floor (DL 390x3/350x3 on 9/8/23 or Halting 365x5/325x5 on 8/31/23). Too much programmatic fucking around and inconsistency. The 405x1 went smooth enough that I could have gone 405x5, but I do know that adding Volume right now is the wrong thing, especially as I'll need my lower back a lot this weekend. So instead I bumped it up 5% to 425x1, which went quite well, so I went for 445x1. I was pumped with how fast that went up until I realized that I hadn't added the 20lbs, so it was a actually second run at 425x1. Le Sigh (it's amazing how, 20 years on, this video is still relevant). Then a real try at 445x1, with realistic expectations and predictable results, as the bar was welded to the safeties. I'm certainly not mad, all things considered.

11/17/23 - Friday

SQ L @ 3'
    45x10x3
    95x5
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    275x5x3

OP L @ 3'
    45x5x2
    95x5
    115x3
    135x5x3

DL L @ 3'
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    315x5 doh/m

Music — The Lion's Daughter vs Judas Priest, Turbo Lover; Sabaton vs Judas Priest, Jawbreaker; Annihilator vs Judas Priest, Hell Bent For Leather; Judas Priest vs Fleetwood Mac, The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown); Dillinger Escape Plan ft Chuck D. vs Public Enemy, Fight The Power; Finsterforst vs Michael Jackson, Beat It; Throwdown vs Sir Mix-A-Lot, Baby Got Back.

Notes — Back at it (-ish), after nothing over the past two weeks, being mostly away from home. Following a thought that Andy Baker had somewhere on his blog, I'm starting this return quite light, but will make bigger jumps over the next week or so to get back to where I was before this break. Plus, the pains that I put myself into after my 10-day break in October by pretty much just jumping back into the program as if I hadn't taken a break were instructive. Today is really just about reminding the body what I expect of it soon. Next week is an unknown for lifting, as lifting will not be a priority as I focus on my bride, which I haven't been able to do much of over the past month. Included in this two-week break were an intensive recertification test & evaluation of my Wilderness First Responder skills, a quick turnaround at home, then off to the east coast to visit family (without my bride). That trip was good all around, including a visit on Veteran's Day to Arlington National Cemetery to take a moment with friends and family who are interred there. But perhaps the most entertaining few moments of the trip were recreating a scene with my nephew, which we do every time we get together. It started when he was 3 years old and about 40lbs, where I hoisted him up on my shoulders so he could see what a parade looked like without having to peek around adult butts. He's now 14, stands as tall as me, and weighs in at a solid 185lbs (50lbs lighter than me); this season, as a middle-schooler, he was a linebacker on the high school football team and we had some good talks about getting him stronger. He (and his parents) were quite concerned about me standing up with him, even though I explained that 185lbs is a light warmup weight. So I sat on the stairs and he climbed aboard. I stood up and everyone watched and took pictures. When it was time to set him down, I realized it would be easier for both of us if I set him down on the couch instead of the stairs where we started, so I climbed the stairs with him still on my shoulders and dismounted on comfy furniture. It's good to teach the young 'uns that strength is still manageable as one gets "ancient" (his words). During the visit, I had a long talk with his dad about proper strength training for the sport and we tossed about the idea of them sending him out to me next year for a couple of months before football practice starts. Hopefully we can pull that off.
    - SQ - Light sets across. All good, even as they felt heavy. That's not a surprise, considering that I was doing high-rep sets before the break in order to get my left adductor back up to full strength (see comment above about pain). Speaking of, that adductor pain made itself apparent during the last warmup rep and intermittently through the workout sets, but nothing significant. More than anything, it proved the point about doing nothing does nothing for it.
    - OP - Light sets across. Strict, with 2-3 reps per breath. Smooth and steady, all good.
    - DL - Light set. Started out double-overhand and the fingers certainly haven't been getting the work, as it felt like the first rep was starting to peel out of the hand. Reset to mixed grip and the rest of the set was smooth and steady.

11/22/23 - Wednesday

OP I @ 3'
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x3
    150x1
    165x1x5

BP I @ 3'
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    250x1x5

Music — D.I. vs Devo, Uncontrollable Urge; Devo vs Johnny Rivers, Secret Agent Man; Sex Pistols vs The Monkees, (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone; Blitz, Someone's Gonna Die; Minor Threat, In My Eyes; Circle Jerks, Live Fast Die Young; Black Flag, Rise Above; The Runaways, Cherry Bomb.

Notes — This week is and continues to be focused on my bride, so this is just a quick Intensity session for the presses to keep things somewhat greased.
    - OP - Strict Intensity Singles, no wraps. Smooth and steady. All good.
    - BP - Intensity Singles, no wraps. Smooth and steady. All good.

11/27/23 - Monday

OP V @ 5'
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x3
    150x5x4

BP L @ 3'
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    205x1
    225x5x3

Music — Decapitated vs Slayer, Mandatory Suicide; Fu Manchu vs Van Halen, D.O.A.; Snapcase vs Bad Brains, I; Demon Hunter vs Prong, Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck; Knocked Loose, Dead Ringer.

Notes — Resuming regular training for the time being, going back to a 4-Day Heavy/Light Split, which has treated me well in the past. Normally I should be entering Maintenance Season by the end of November, but El Niño means that winter is warmer and drier than average for us and the start of this winter holds that true. The long-term models see that trend continuing through the end of the year, so I'll keep lifting consistently until we have enough snow to get out and enjoy the mountains. We do have a couple of local resorts that are "open", meaning that they have man-made snow on their bunny/tubing slope or have made enough to keep one meandering run open off of one lift. I can wait.
    - OP - Volume sets across. Smooth and steady, all good. I have mixed feelings on this one. I went +5lbs over last week's 145x5x3, which is the reasonable thing to do building back up after a quasi-layoff. But this 150x5x4 was too light. Each set was quick and strict, with multiple reps per breath. Only two reps, #5 of sets 1 and 2, were "un-groovy" but quickly recoverable. The normal progression for next week's Triples would be +10lbs (160x3x4), but I may go heavier. Or I may just accept this at what it is, still +5lbs over my 5x3 on 9/30/23, which means that I really didn't lose anything over the past two months. And that's a win, considering how inconsistent I was through October and November.
    - BP - Light sets across. Smooth and steady. All good.

11/30/23 - Thursday

BP - H @ 5'
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    215x1
    240x5x4

OP V @ 2'
    45x5x2
    95x5
    130x3
    145x2x12

Music — Einstürzende Neubauten, Sehnsucht (Zitternd); Dax Riggs, Radiation Blues; Bauhaus, Watch That Grandad Go; New Order, In A Lonely Place; Lard, Mate Spawn And Die; Japan, Despair.

Notes — So much for being consistent. Life events precluded Tuesday's Heavy SQ/Light Pull workout and a previously scheduled early morning blood donation on Wednesday meant that I wasn't going to do it after. So I'll blend that one into tomorrow and make it a Heavy SQ/Heavy Pull so that I can recover over the weekend and get on schedule next week.
    - BP - Heavy sets across. After the inconsistent past two months, it was difficult to figure out where to reset this lift, especially the way that Monday's OP sets felt (too light). So I settled between last week's 250x1x5 Intensity and Monday's 225x5x3 Light day. It turned out to be the right number, as the very last rep of the very last set was a bitch, not quite a grind, but a rep where it stalled a couple of times on the way up, perhaps as it slipped out of the groove. All good.
    - OP - Volume Doubles across. Strict reps, single-breath sets. All good.

I certainly have known what it's like to be "groovy" once or twice in the past couple months. Those are some good bench sets ya did there!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Fred! It's good to get back to a schedule that allows me to keep consistent. For the time being.

Page 87 of 96 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast