starting strength gym
Page 93 of 98 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 972

Thread: Lifting to Live

  1. #921
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    • starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Once I get started doing pulls or squats and walk the treadmill I'm in shorts or I get too sweaty also. The room temp is a bit deceiving since it does not stay at that top temperature for very long and everything never gets to that temp. Walking out the gym door into the garage is quite a difference these days. I have guitars in the gym so I do not want the temp to vary too much and leave it on 60ish.

  2. #922
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    Once I get started doing pulls or squats and walk the treadmill I'm in shorts or I get too sweaty also. The room temp is a bit deceiving since it does not stay at that top temperature for very long and everything never gets to that temp. Walking out the gym door into the garage is quite a difference these days. I have guitars in the gym so I do not want the temp to vary too much and leave it on 60ish.
    Keep those guitars happy and they'll keep you happy!

    I just walked the thermometer out from the office into the garage. An immediate 10° drop and it continued to drop as I walked back indoors. I'll post the temp on today's workout log, which I'll start as soon as this cuppa coffee is done.

  3. #923
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    1/18/24 - Thursday
    Outside 22° / Garage 33°

    SQ I @ 5'
    45x10x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    275x1
    315x1
    345x3x4

    PC L @ 3'
    65x5x3
    115x3
    135x1
    150x3x5

    Music — Earth, Wind & Fire, September; B52's, Planet Claire; Peter Schilling, Major Tom (Coming Home); Pennywise, Alien; XTC, Dear God; The Smiths, How Soon Is Now?; Peter Gabriel, I Have The Touch; Pixies, Where Is My Mind?.

    Notes
    - SQ - Intensity Triples across. Smooth, steady, and heavy. All good.
    - PC - Light pulls. A return to these, last done on 10/25/22 with 160x3x5. For the month following those, my inconsistent training schedule due to outside commitments meant that I was only doing a heavy pull when I could work those in, then I started in early December with Rows, which I was enjoying, even as they got heavy. This past weekend I re-read the section on barbell rows and straight out the gate, the first sentence was "First, barbell rows are not a substitute for power cleans" (bolding in original) (Blue Book, pg 275). And that's why I was doing them. So back to cleans it is. I don't mind, as I do like to clean, but apparently I wanted to try something different for awhile. All good, considering the time away from the timing.

  4. #924
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    1/19/24 - Friday
    Outside 24° / Garage 35°

    BP I @ 5'
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    255x3x4

    OP V @ 2'
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    155x2x12

    Music — Dark Funeral vs Slayer, Dead Skin Mask; Red Bled The Sun vs Pantera, Yesterday Don't Mean Shit; White Wizzard vs Iron Maiden, Flight Of Icarus; Grave vs Anthrax, Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.); Death Angel vs Black Sabbath, Heaven & Hell; Exodus vs War, Low Rider; Dillinger Escape Plan ft Chuck D vs Public Enemy, Fight The Power; Red Fang vs AC/DC, Hells Bells.

    Notes
    - BP - Intensity Triples across. Smooth and steady. All good.
    - OP - Volume Doubles across. All good.

  5. #925
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    Smooth, steady, heavy - all good.

    When those are the adjective used to describe training, you’re in a very good place.

    Those outdoor temps the last 2 days are what we have forecast tomorrow. It’s days like this that make me even more grateful for the route I switched to in July. The outdoor walking part of it only takes me an hour to an hour and a half to complete. But the years of hiking in that cold make me avoid being in it if I’m not being paid for it. You guys training in that cold have all of my respect.

  6. #926
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K.Diesel View Post
    Those outdoor temps the last 2 days are what we have forecast tomorrow. It’s days like this that make me even more grateful for the route I switched to in July. The outdoor walking part of it only takes me an hour to an hour and a half to complete. But the years of hiking in that cold make me avoid being in it if I’m not being paid for it. You guys training in that cold have all of my respect.
    I spent a good amount of time at my grandparents house in the Grant Park area of Atlanta (1950's-1960's). Those houses had big front porches and we stayed out there a lot weather allowing so we would see what's going on and I never realized how much walking you guys did at the time only seeing the mailman when he was on our block. You have my respect and thanks for doing that job especially in all types of weather.

  7. #927
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K.Diesel View Post
    Smooth, steady, heavy - all good.

    When those are the adjective used to describe training, you’re in a very good place.

    Those outdoor temps the last 2 days are what we have forecast tomorrow. It’s days like this that make me even more grateful for the route I switched to in July. The outdoor walking part of it only takes me an hour to an hour and a half to complete. But the years of hiking in that cold make me avoid being in it if I’m not being paid for it. You guys training in that cold have all of my respect.
    Yep, it is a good place. I'll take it while I can, with another planned break coming up, which means another re-set and a slow workup to these weights again.

    Normally this time of year, and in these temperatures, I'm out in the mountains playing in the snow. However, there are plenty of turns in life going on right now (good things) which mean that's not happening this year, but it also means that I'm training much more consistent through these past couple of months than I otherwise good be. Granted, out playing in it and having to work in it are two different things, but I make sure that I'm acclimated to it regardless of what's going on.

  8. #928
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,487

    Default

    yeah my garage was mighty cold too...I felt this morning if I licked the bar i might end up like Ralphie's friend Flick lol

  9. #929
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    Haha. Great visual.

    Luckily my garage doesn't seem to dip below 32°, even during the worst of the arctic outbreaks. It will get down to it, but not below.

  10. #930
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    1/22/24 - Monday
    Outside 39° / Garage 41°

    DL H @ 8'
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    315x1 h
    345x1 m
    370x5 m

    SQ L @ 5'
    45x10x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1x2
    265x1
    295x5x3

    Music — Gene Loves Jezebel, Bruises (Extended Single Version); Ministry vs Magazine, The Light Pours Out Of Me; Einstürzende Neubauten, Z.N.S.; New Order ft Moby vs Joy Division, New Dawn Fades; Depeche Mode, Lie To Me; Catherine Wheel vs Mission Of Burma, That's When I Reach For My Revolver; Laibach vs The Beatles, I've Got A Feeling.

    Notes — Our first full day above freezing in 11 days, with rain falling on the snow and ice. Oy, it's humid! That and fighting the perpetual procrastination on getting this done today made for a slight slog of a workout, even though it didn't need to be.
    - DL - Heavy set. SQ warmups up to 225, then warmed up the pull. I really had to focus before that first rep, which went fine, but a bit slower than I wanted. The rest of the set was a tempo set—smooth, quick, and steady, not rushed—so much so that I made sure to take an extra half-second before that last rep to make sure that I wasn't rushing and moving myself out of position. It was pretty much the opposite of what I was expecting through my procrastination today. There wasn't even any of the lower back tightness that causes me to grab the rack for stability that usually marks the end of the set. Not that I will, but if this is what it feels like to skip a week between DLs...
    - SQ - Light sets across. Post-pull, a repeat of the 225x1, then the last warmup set. You know the drill, these are never light after the heavy pull. The fact that I took quite a bit of extra time after the pull while I discussed programming options going forward for that lift, meaning that I cooled down quite a bit, probably didn't help. I should say that they were smooth and steady here, but that wouldn't be true. But they went. All good.

Page 93 of 98 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •