Page 4 of 97 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting to Live

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Found you! Solid work!
    I was lost?

I'm working hard to get to your lifts., good sir.

6/1/21 - Tuesday

SQ - LP
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    275x1
    300x1
    320x5x3

OP - LP
    45x5
    75x3
    100x1
    125x1
    142.5x5x3 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1

PC - L
    155x3x5

Music - Top choices from SiriusXM, Liquid Metal's Corridor of Covers, Corridor of Memorial Day Covers, 5/27/21 - Cradle of Filth vs Ozzy - Mr Crowley & Blind Guardian vs Dio - Don't Talk to Strangers

Notes
    - SQ - Good all around, definitely grindy on reps 4&5 of each set, but still no fears of dropping a rep into the safeties. These are quickly catching up to my deadlifts, as they are still going up 10lbs/week, where I've been stalled on the deadlifts for a couple of weeks.
    - OP - 2s were the name of the game. The first few sets, the 2nd was a real slow press as I ran through all of the mental queues (ELBOWS!, SQUEEZE!, etc.). With just 3 reps left, the neighbor was pounding on the door, talking about a water leak in his laundry room. We share a wall there, so lo-and-behold, we had water on the floor and under the carpet. I squeezed out that last one to get me to 15 reps, then focused on cleaning that mess up.
    - PC - None. See OP note above.

Glad your neighbor was thoughtful enough to warn you of the water leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    Glad your neighbor was thoughtful enough to warn you of the water leak.
    Us too. Had he not, it might have been a while before we found it. Thankfully we were able to get everything under control, although we're waiting for the carpet guy to arrive any moment to have a look at things.

6/3/21 - Thursday

SQ - L
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    265x5x3

BP - LP
    95x5
    135x3
    175x1
    195x1
    207.5x5x3 - 5x2, 1x4+1

DL - H
    225x5
    275x3
    315x1
    340x5 -3+1

Music - Top 10 picks from SiriusXM, Ozzy's Boneyard, Memorial Day Covers Top 200 Listener's Picks, 5/28/21 - Black Sabbath, War Pigs (#6) & Motorhead, Ace of Spades (#3).

Notes
    It's unseasonably hot here right now, so instead of my normal mid-afternoon workout, I did this mid-morning while the garage was still cool.
    - SQ - I started these with some low-back tightness, which worked out as I warmed up. But it returned with a vengeance after each work set, even though it was a light day.
    - BP - This would have been a 3x5 PR, but the last rep of the last set just was not going to go, even with strong leg drive and yelling (in my head) "ELBOWS!" It might be time to start applying Nick's late-novice programming for this lift, as I have been doing with the Press. The lower back tightness gradually eased through these sets.
    - DL - I had high hopes for this lift today. This week I had shifted my heavy deadlift to my light squat day, hoping to arrive at the lift with some gas still in the tank. I did have gas in the tank, but I've been putting off a reset so long that I've detrained. The first 3 were solid, the 4th just wouldn't get to above my lower patella, even with my wife counting down 5 seconds, which helps. So I rested about 10 minutes to get the next two, but only got one; the fifth just wouldn't peel off the floor during a very long 5-count. Looking back at my log, my 335x5 was on 10 May, over 3 weeks ago. I've been stubborn to get this 340x5, slowly changing programming to try and make it happen; I even thought about resetting today on this new day, but wanted to see if just the shift in days was sufficient. Had I done both, I wouldn't have known what fixed it. It might have worked had I done it after my first failure at 340x5 a couple of weeks ago, but apparently I waited too long. So next week I'll reset to 325x5 and work up from there. Looking ahead to my schedule over the next six weeks, a reset and phasing into a full HLM schedule with volume for the deadlift doesn't make sense, as in a few weeks time I'll be away for a couple of weeks, after which I'll have to reset again. It will be after that reset that I'll look at transitioning into a full HLM schedule with volume for the deads. Edited to add - the real bummer here is that I started this LP on April 26th with a 55lb spread between my squat and deadlift. I've spent these last few weeks being stubborn on my deadlift while my squats have continued to go up 10lbs/week (+5lbs 2x/week) while my deadlift was going up 5lbs/week (then stalled). With this reset, my deads will be slightly behind my squat, although I suspect my +10lbs/week on those is quickly coming to an end.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 06-03-2021 at 04:29 PM. Reason: formatting

One upside to putting the DL on the light squat day is that the (DL-SQ) delta isn't as big of a deal. I've been upside-down on those lifts once or twice, but it didn't hurt either lift since they were on separate days. So long as heavy squats don't kill your lower back, keep them going as much as you can. Without being there, I strongly lean toward the long break as the cause for failure. Getting even three of those is impressive after three weeks.

To be fair, a part of my issue is that I'm built for squatting. (5'9" with a 29" inseam. Not egregiously long in the torso, but very definitely a squatter.) But even so, having a bigger squat than deadlift hasn't slowed me down during NLP.

Thanks, Hooper. As I've mulled it over today, I'm not terribly bothered by being upside-down on the lifts, because the only fix for it would be to deload the squats and I will not do that.

It has been a good learning process. I just wish I wasn't bumping up against planned trail work trips and vacations that will keep me away from the bar for a couple of weeks, which will necessitate a reset. If I didn't have that hole in my training schedule, I would be willing to start next week following Sully & Baker's example (BBRx p. 255) of transitioning my squat to a full HLM program, which is a 3-4 week transition (e.g, wk1 330x5, wk2 330x5x3, wk3 330x5x4-5, wk4 335x5x4-5...). I think that it's time, as reps 4&5 of each heavy set are getting to be a real grind. But they are still going up.

I'm not built to an advantage for any of the lifts. I'm 6'0" with a 33" inseam and proportional arms. So that's a lot of femur to get those hips back while the knee stays locked and a lot of wingspan to get the bar up off the chest or overhead. But it's what I have to work with, so work I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    DL - H
    225x5
    275x3
    315x1
    340x5 -3+1
    You might try one more programming adjustment before resetting the deadlift. I may not be understanding your workout correctly, but if you started your deadlift warmup with 225x5, that seems high. The deadlift example in the book for 315x5 starts at 135x5x2 (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 299, Table 8-1).

For an older lifter, you could cut the warmups a little more. You could do a single set of 135x5, then 225x3, followed by singles at 275 and 315 (The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40, p. 176, steps 3-5). That would be four total reps at 225 and 275, instead of eight.

My position is that age gives me authorization to do even fewer warmups than that! I want to get to the work set with the most energy in reserve that I can. Looking at my training log for last year, I'm embarrassed to say that I failed on the last rep on my first attempt at that weight, doing 340x4 in the fall. However, I kept moving the weight up, since it was really just a rest and nutrition problem, and I set a few DL PRs before year-end (hopefully working my way back up now, but we'll see).

Here were my warmups for that 340x4 in the fall last year: 135x4, 190x1, 240x1, 290x1. Looking back, I'd probably do a double at 190 and add another single to make the jumps smaller (135x4, 190x2, 225x1, 275x1, 315x1). That would be the same nine total warmups you did before, but with a not-insignificant drop in total weight. Don't forget to rest before the work set!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    You might try one more programming adjustment before resetting the deadlift. I may not be understanding your workout correctly, but if you started your deadlift warmup with 225x5, that seems high. The deadlift example in the book for 315x5 starts at 135x5x2 (Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (3d ed.), p. 299, Table 8-1).

For an older lifter, you could cut the warmups a little more. You could do a single set of 135x5, then 225x3, followed by singles at 275 and 315 (The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40, p. 176, steps 3-5). That would be four total reps at 225 and 275, instead of eight.

My position is that age gives me authorization to do even fewer warmups than that! I want to get to the work set with the most energy in reserve that I can. Looking at my training log for last year, I'm embarrassed to say that I failed on the last rep on my first attempt at that weight, doing 340x4 in the fall. However, I kept moving the weight up, since it was really just a rest and nutrition problem, and I set a few DL PRs before year-end (hopefully working my way back up now, but we'll see).

Here were my warmups for that 340x4 in the fall last year: 135x4, 190x1, 240x1, 290x1. Looking back, I'd probably do a double at 190 and add another single to make the jumps smaller (135x4, 190x2, 225x1, 275x1, 315x1). That would be the same nine total warmups you did before, but with a not-insignificant drop in total weight. Don't forget to rest before the work set!
    Excellent input! Exactly why I started posting these here. I'm going to be long with my response for a couple of reasons - it's helpful to me and hopefully it's helpful to someone else.

I had been running my deadlift warmups up from 135x5 during my winter maintenance session (details here), but also taking large jumps, similar to your first example. I got the the point that I figured that my warmup was beating me up before the main event and knew that I had to cut it down. For my last maintenance session, I did:

135x5
    205x3
    265x1
    300x1
    (8 minute rest)
    335x3 + 335x2
    -Total workset tonnage for this workout (Press+DL) was 3,670lbs

I know that I'm quite warm from the squats & presses going into the pull, so I figured that I would cut out the lighter sets as I restarted my LP mid-April, so 11 days later it was:

225x5
    275x3
    305x1
    (8 minute rest)
    320x5 (resetting all lifts here to compensate for the significant change in frequency and volume that I was not doing over the winter).
    - Total workset tonnage for this workout (SQ+Press+DL) was 7,300lbs

320-335 all went just fine over the next few weeks.

Another change to the warmup, which is evident in that second example, is that for the large lifts (squats/deads) I just do quarters (25lbs) and plates (45lbs) to keep it simple. I had been using the example that in BBRx that you mentioned, but the quarters & plates made more sense to me, especially since I don't have to spend any time calculating beforehand or on the fly. Plus, it works out pretty close to the percentage-based example that Sully & Baker provided. Your "looking back" example for your 304x4 warmups were pretty similar. One of my failures at 340 was also a rest/nutrition issue, which extending this run of attempts at 340.

So now, jumping ahead to this last 340x5 attempt, your shaving of reps from those early sets and "That would be the same nine total warmups you did before, but with a not-insignificant drop in total weight" got me to running the numbers on the tonnage for the warmups (which I don't normally track). Comparing warmup schemes (225x5, 275x3, 315) and (135x5, 185x3, 225x1, 275, 315) for my 340 attempt, not only is that second scheme a ~10% decrease in warmup tonnage (2,045 from 2,255), but a huge shift in intensity focus (that's the HUGE takeaway for me right now). Then, to take that further, shaving a few reps (135x4, 185x2, 225, 275, 315) takes that down to 1,725, another ~15% savings in warmup tonnage (for a total ~25% savings).

I'm with you on "My position is that age gives me authorization to do even fewer warmups than that!" Which is why I cut the warmups. Perhaps not smartly. I'll give 340 another try this week. After that, the schedule gets screwy, with little opportunity for training, which will force a small reset anyway.

Thanks for that!

starting strength coach development program
    6/5/21 - Saturday

SQ - M
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    275x1
    300x1
    325x5x3 (see notes)
    295x5x3

OP - LP
    45x5
    75x3
    100x1
    125x1
    145x5x3 (1, 1, x, x, x, x)

Chins - 10, 10, 10

Music Top choices from SiriusXM, Liquid Metal's Corridor of Covers, Rarities Collection Vol II, 6/3/21 - It started off great, then just kept getting better. My faves were Mercyful Fate vs Judas Priest, The Ripper & The Absence vs Suicidal Tendencies, You Can't Bring Me Down. But then he finished off with Wrathchild American vs Pink Floyd, Time, which was extremely well done.

Notes
    - SQ - I had been fighting a bit of lower back/hip tightness while driving my squats upwards on the M/F of my training week (usually Tue/Sat for me) and stalling on my deads (see entries above). Keeping that progress, I had scheduled 325x5x3 (another 5x3) PR for today. Overnight, while recovering well, I ran across Robert Santana's Artificially Weak Deadlifts article from 2018. That article, plus the comments in the forum (especially this one) got me to realize that a reset of my squats, not my deadlift, were in order. So I planned on doing that next week, while still going 325x5x3 today. Then the warmups today. Progressively worse. By the 300x1, I felt like a bag of hammered shit. There just wasn't any way I was going to get 325x5, much less 325x5x3. So I did the math for a M day, dropped to 295 and went from there. The first 295x5 felt worse than the 300x1 and the form was probably worse than what the last rep of my 325x5x3 would have looked like. The second set was marginally better. The third set the same as the second. So it looks like this is it for my squat LP and it's time to shift to HLM starting next week using the phased in approach that Sullivan & Baker described in BBrx Example 24-2, pg 255. In hindsight, I probably should have started both the SQ & DL on HLM at the same time, but that opportunity has passed.
    - OP - the hip tightness persisted through the warmups, which is odd. My wife was pestering me to stop so she could work on it (she's a licensed massage therapist), but I wanted to get this done before we both headed off to work this afternoon. The first one was obvious that it would be a single, as was the second. Since I was doing singles, I gave myself one minute rest. When that didn't work, two minutes between singles. Reps 3 & 4 stuck just above the forehead, Reps 5&6 wouldn't pass the eyes, so I called it. It looks like it's time to progress to Phase 2 of Nick's Press Program, which increases frequency for both presses.

Page 4 of 97 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast