starting strength gym
Page 6 of 97 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting to Live

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    Saw your comment on my log, but it's more fitting to reply here. :-) Great work on that trail! That had to be a lot of fun.

Good luck on the short return to weights. Hopefully the heavy work you've been doing in your 'fun' time will keep the DOMS away!
    Thanks Hooper. Yes, it is a lot of fun, even when this tree (and several others) provided a few scary moments. There's several tons of suspended weight creating a lot of pressure there, and each release of wood fiber sounds like a rifle shot, so the first-timers on my crew (pictured) jumped several times. I just may have once or twice.

Squat warmups done. DOMS will be an issue.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 07-09-2021 at 05:40 PM.

7/9/21 - Friday

SQ
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    245x1
    260x5x3

BP
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    155x1
    185x5x3

PC
    65x5
    85x3
    115x1
    125x1
    140x3x5

Music - Top choices from SiriusXM, Ozzy's Boneyard, Duff McKagan's Three Chords and the Truth, 7/2/21 - Ministry, Jesus Built My Hotrod; Nine Inch Nails, The Hand That Feeds & post-show - Ted Nugent, Stranglehold.

Notes

All work sets were reset 10% off of early June work weights (see above). I chose to add extra warmup reps for SQ & BP.
    - SQ - Although I had been active during this last break (see above), I could tell during my warmup sets that I will feel this tomorrow and the next day. Three cheers for DOMS! (not)
    - BP - Nothing of note here. Just having to remind the body of the setup and leg drive for each rep.
    - PC - Nothing of note here. All good.

7/11/21 - Sunday

SQ - L
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    210x1
    235x5x3

OP
    45x5
    75x3
    100x1
    115x5x3

DL
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    305x5

Music - Top choices from SiriusXM, Debbie Gibson's Mixtape, Haute America, 7/2/21 - Prince's Raspberry Beret*; The Supremes, Love is Like a Heat Wave, and Blondie's Sunday Girl.

- The show was a fun stumble and worked well since I wasn't pushing anything too hard today. *Raspberry Berry Beret is not my favorite Prince tune, but every time I hear it, I think about Pat Smear sitting in the background during the video, rocking back and forth to the tune like most of the other extras. You may not know his name, but you know his music, as Pat Smear started with LA punk band The Germs, then 45 Grave (OK, that was my scene, probably not yours). From there he went on to Nirvana, then the Foo Fighters, where he continues to this day. The Supremes song was appropriate in the hot garage, and Blondie always gets turned up in this house.

Notes

All work sets were reset 10% off of early June work weights (see above). A fair bit of DOMS from Friday's workout, which slowly worked out during warmups.
    - SQ - 90% of Friday's 90% of early June's work sets. Kept focus on knees and hip drive.
    - OP - All good. Nothing to note here.
    - DL - I had calculated the 305lbs off of early June's work weights. Then I got in my head about never wanting to drop below three plates, which took a bit of convincing to stick to the plan. All went well at 305 and 315 probably would have been fine, but I've got a long day tomorrow cutting through heavy undergrowth to clear a path for a new trail which will tax the lower back. No sense in pushing my luck.

great work, yeah I felt the Siren Call of the 3 plates today, too much of a jump so my top lift wasn't going anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    great work, yeah I felt the Siren Call of the 3 plates today, too much of a jump so my top lift wasn't going anywhere
    Thanks! I'm guilty of making big jumps on occasion. I'm slowly, slowly learning. Sticking to "plates and quarters" (45s then 25s) keeps the jumps more manageable for me. Keep at it!

7/14/21 - Wednesday

SQ
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    245x1
    270x5x3

BP
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    165x1
    195x5x3

PC
    65x5
    85x3
    115x1
    130x1
    145x3x5

Music - SiriusXM, Marky Ramone's Punk Rock Blitzkrieg - UK Subs, Teenage & Bad Brains, Big Takeover - two of the most entertaining, enlightening shows from my teenaged years. The 1987 Bad Brains show is still in my Top 5 all-time live performance list.

Notes
    Hot & Smoky outside. It's summertime in the Pacific/Inland Northwest.
    - SQ - I managed to squeak this in during a zoom meeting. Unfortunately, the rushing to get the sets in impacted my form, so I had a few tweaks. This is a relatively light weight for me, coming during my reset and maintenance phase this month, but rushing still causes issues.
    - BP - The meeting was over, so I could slow down, but my brain was still all over the place. These were shakier than they should have been. Plus, between my first and second set, I didn't hear my wife come come. She pulled the car into the garage, which let what little cool air I had left escape and the engine heat made the temperature jump. But she had groceries, so those became the priority until she could get the car back out. Toasty!
    - PC - All good. I really do like this lift!

doing squats during a zoom meeting, that's great

"Bill, I thought that zoom meeting was useless, what did you get out of it?"

"well, actually, I did get squat out of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    doing squats during a zoom meeting, that's great

"Bill, I thought that zoom meeting was useless, what did you get out of it?"

"well, actually, I did get squat out of it!"
    Haha! I had totally forgot all about the meeting (it's for a volunteer organization) and saw the reminder just as I was getting ready to start my workout. So I logged in, claimed that my microphone and camera weren't working (which is true, since I don't have either on my desktop) and would pop out into the garage to complete my warmup and work sets. I would just turn up the volume when I stepped out so I could keep track if there was a change of presenters. It worked out well, since the office is air conditioned and right inside the garage access door.

7/16/21 - Friday

SQ - L
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    215x1
    245x5x3

OP
    45x5
    75x3
    100x1
    117.5x5x3

DL
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    315x5

Music — Top choices from SiriusXM, Liquid Metal's Corridor of Covers, Corridor of NEW Covers, 7/8/21 — Mayhem vs Dead Kennedys, Hellnation & Westnile vs Van Halen, On Fire

Notes
    - SQ - Light day, so a deliberate focus on form throughout the entire session, especially driving the knees out and locking them in place from the start. All good.
    - OP - I saw Hooper mention my earlier mention of the elbows cue, which reminded me to focus on my elbows, which helped all three work sets sail up. Granted, this weight is ~30lbs lighter than the singles and doubles I was getting in early June, but every bit does help. This prompted me to erase the generic warmup template from my white board and write in the primary cues for each lift. Which helped with...
    - DL - A 10lb jump from Sunday that I didn't necessarily need to do, but I just didn't feel like loading it up to 310lbs. Reading the cues for this lift "tight armpits/push the earth" helped this workset cruise up comfortably.

Now it's time for another week+ break as I head out into the Wilderness again to clear fallen trees from trails.

starting strength coach development program
    Have fun in the sticks!

It's almost a shame you're going to have to cut short. I was curious to see how the reset on presses went, and how much heavier you could have gone before having to go back to Nick's protocol.

Love the idea of cues on a whiteboard.

Page 6 of 97 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast