170x1
    202.5x5x3 202.5x5x2 + 202.5x4+1

PC
    65x5
    90x3
    115x1
    130x1
    150x3x5

Music — SiriusXM Liquid Metal, Corridor of Covers, Rarities Collection Vol II, 9/9/21 — Botch vs B-52's, Rock Lobster; Kyng vs Metallica, Escape; The Absence vs Suicidal Tendencies, You Can't Bring Me Down.

Notes
    - Pretty poor sleep last night for some odd reason. Really didn't feel like getting under the bar, but that's no excuse. We've been back to pretty poor air quality for the past 36 hours, also, although it started raining during the workout. That should make for a cleaner weekend.
    - SQ - solid work sets. No issues.
    - BP - Reps 1/5 and 2/5 were a grind, the first set more than the second. But I didn't let that get into my head. But by the time that 3/5 came around, it just wouldn't get more than an inch or two off of the chest. It made sense after last night's sleep, so I'm not too worried about it, although I will keep an eye on it. I've already added this to my lifts that I'll get looked at when I meet with an SSC in two weeks time. I know that I'm losing tightness at some point, but hopefully we can pinpoint where.
    - PC - Thanks again, Hooper. That cue is working great, especially when I stop treating RAMP and JUMP as two distinct steps, instead accelerating that RAMP into the JUMP. I don't know if I had been doing that all along, but I realized it during my warmups. Of course, that flows right into the JUMPUNDER. So is it really RAMPJUMPUNDER? Actually more, RAMPJUMP-UNDER? Also, during the work sets, I focused on driving the hips down towards the floor as I set it down instead of holding my hips high in preparation for the next rep. Hopefully that helps with the back pain during the lowering phase of the deadlift, as it sure seemed to work today.

Glad it's working! I felt better on mine today as well. I do like how you are linking RAMP and JUMP together. I'll try that myself.

I'm guessing you don't have bumper plates? I just pop the bar off my shoulders and guide it with the hands for most of the way, but let it fall otherwise. (I only do that with 35-lb bumpers or bigger so it doesn't stress the tiny bumpers.)

Nope, no bumpers. And only one layer of plywood underneath the plates, cushioned slightly with some thin rubber flooring. So I'm not in the mindset to let them slam down, but I have become more comfortable with letting them loose closer to the floor than I was a year ago.

The good thing with the cleans is that they are light (relatively speaking), so guiding them down isn't that big of a deal. It's a good opportunity to work out the issues I'm having with lowering the deadlifts.

9/13/21 - Monday

SQ - L
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    260x5x2

OP
    45x5
    75x3
    100x1
    115x1
    127.5x5x3

DL
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    305x1
    335x5 335x4+F+F+F

Music — SiriusXM, Liquid Metal, Bloody Roots, Metallica's Master of Puppets 35th Anniversary, 9/11/21 — Primus vs Metallica, The Thing that Should Not Be; Flotsam and Jetsam vs Metallica, Damage Inc.

Notes
    - SQ - Light day, so nothing remarkable here, other than I dropped one work set. I'll try that out on the Deadlift days and see how that treats me.
    - OP - Going into the workout today, this was the lift that had me thinking. By the end of the second set, I was really wondering how the third set was going to go. It went just fine.
    - DL - This was going to be the unknown, after last Wednesday's 330x3+330x2. Knowing that I broke up the work set due to how I set down the third rep (see 9/8/21 entry), I decided that I would go ahead and add 5lbs today and see if it was time to adjust programming again (e.g., moving from Sullivan & Baker's Program 1B to 1C). Not much of a surprise, it's time. The first four went up just fine, with no issues. Dropping the hips right before the plates hit the platform eliminated any jarring back pain that I had been experiencing and it has the added bonus of forcing a full setup sequence (without taking the hands off the bar). But the fifth rep just wasn't going to get more than 1/3 up the shin. So I did a complete reset (hands off bar, rechalked, etc.) and it wouldn't break the ground. I walked away, dropped the belt, and decided to give it one more try, with the same result. So now it's time to go from shift from 5 days to 9 days between heavy deadlifts, which is fascinating to me, as it's a longer recovery cycle than HLM programming, but since I haven't tried this yet, it will be a good learning experience. Plus, now I get to add my chins back in.

9/15/21 - Wednesday

SQ
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    260x1
    290x5x3

BP
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    175x1
    202.5.5.3 202.5x5x2 + 202.5x4+1

PC
    65x5
    90x3
    115x1
    135x1
    155x3x5

Music — SiriusXM, First Wave, Billy Idol's Live Transmission w/ Steve Stevens (Billy's Guitarist for 40+ years), 9/14/21 — Suicide, Ghost Rider; Siouxsie & The Banshee, Into the Light; Prince, Bambi; Missing Persons, Mental Hopscotch; The Smiths, How Soon is Now?; The Damned, Alone Again Or; Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Two Tribes and soooo much more in this 2-hour episode. Probably the most outstanding retrospective of influences for these guys that they've broadcast.

Notes
    - Poor sleep continues, but I'll keep plugging at it. I never worry about it when these bouts roll around, as I know that it's a phase that will pass soon, although I do wonder about the impact on training (e.g., these last rep failures on DL and BP).
    - SQ - I'm starting to feel cumulative fatigue in the lower back during these work sets. If I wasn't going to be gone the next 1.5 weeks, I'd start programming HLM for these.
    - BP - After last Friday's failure on the last rep, I've been doing a lot of reading on this to figure out where I was losing tightness. I was operating with the cue "Leg Drive/Elbows," which really leaves out most of the body while my leg drive was off the toes. So I decided to go with "ARCH/HEELS/ELBOWS," which worked very well through these work sets that were the same weight as last Friday. But that last rep still stuck just off the chest. I'll have it looked at next Friday by an SSC.
    - PC - Overall, good. I was leaning forward a bit too much on a few, so the bar was off the knees just before the JUMP, which meant that I was having to chase it a bit to get under it. Likely the overall fatigue just getting to me.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 09-15-2021 at 06:49 PM. Reason: wurds

I think I'll borrow your BP cue to help self-evaluate my own form next time. I don't feel my bench form is bad, but it may also be an 'unknown unknown'. I like the simplicity and the thoroughness of the cue.

Hopefully it works for you.

I re-read the Blue Book chapter on the bench, and had somehow missed the "through the heels" portion on previous reads. So now the pic on that page has a big arrow down the leg and through the heel, also highlighted so I can't miss it.

9/17/21 - Friday

SQ - L
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    265x5x2

OP
    45x5
    75x3
    100x1
    115x1
    130x5x3
    135*

DL - L
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    300x5

Music — SiriusXM, Liquid Metal, Corridor of Covers, New Covers/Norm Macdonald, 9/16/21 - Ministry vs The Stooges, Search and Destroy; Eighteen Visions vs Nine Inch Nails, Terrible Lie.

Notes
    - Poor sleep continues. But as noted in the notes for my Wednesday squats (above), the lower back is starting to speak during mundane activities like getting up from tying shoes. Having been here before, I knew that I needed to start incorporating a light deadlift day.
    - SQ - Light day, no issues with these.
    - OP - Three solid sets, without any concern for the last rep of any of the sets. The 135* was just for fun, as I loaded the bar for my deadlift warmup while the hooks were still in position for the press. I unracked it and decided to press it belt-less. No issues, no surprises.
    - DL - All good at this 90% of Monday's weight. I could feel the lower back for rep 4, but thought that I had got too far over the bar during the setup. Fixed it and rep 5 was fine, although it sure seemed heavier than it should be for what is normally a warmup weight.

good stuff!

starting strength coach development program
    I've been fighting the "sleep" issue off and on for a while now...it sucks!

Page 10 of 97 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast