starting strength gym
Page 14 of 97 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting to Live

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by rkjohns1 View Post
    Hi Bill, I was looking at Program 1D in BBRX and was wondering about the pull portion. Program 1C alternates between Workout A and Workout B, and within Workout A, the deadlift and power clean are alternated. Program 1D alternates between Week 1 and Week 2, and within those 2 weeks, there are 2 deadlifting days (W1D2, W2D3) and 1 power clean day (W2D1). I guess I am surprised that the deadlift and power clean are no longer alternated. This loss of symmetry has slightly triggered my OCD Since you have programmed Program 1D for your pulls, how is it going for you?
    Hey Ryan, sorry for the slow reply. I was away for more than a week visiting friends and family.

Re: the BBRx Program 1C and 1D - map them out and you'll see that they are essentially the same, alternating between the same "A" and "B" days, except that light squats are now alternated in for the mid-week squats in Program 1D's weekly schedule. You're still alternating Deadlifts and Power Cleans on the "A" day, with your Back Extension of choice on the "B" day. The difference is presentation, where the description of 1D actually starts with the "B" workout on the first Monday. So, in program 1D, you're alternating heavy pulls every 5 or 9 days , which is crucial at this stage as you are likely getting close (or already are) over-taxing your lower back with heavy squats being every workout to every other workout.

I do find it interesting that they don't use the same scheme in the Masters Novice Programs 2C and 2D, where I would think that we would need it more. But for typical reasons for the Masters, they don't list Power Cleans in those programs.

As far as how it's working for me, I can't say, as I have not been consistent lately due to various trips over the past couple of months. That and I am not currently pulling at PRx5 sets for the same reason. But conceptually, it's quite logical.

It's also good preparation for when you get into Intermediate programming, where you'll likely lose even more symmetry in your planning and programming.

10/21/21 - Thursday

OP
    45x10x2
    75x5
    105x3
    120x1
    130x1
    145x3x3 @ 3'
    145x2
    145x0
    135x3x3

PC
    95x5
    110x3
    120x1
    135x3x3

PS
    45x5x3
    65x5x2
    95x3x2

Music — Whatever my son had playing.

Notes — During 10 days of visiting friends and family on a cross-country trip, I was able to squeeze in a quick workout session with my son in his garage. This was a non-standard workout, as he is limited to 165lbs, including the barbell. But it was good, as we were able to fix his setup for his bench press, which was not safe.
    - OP - Poor programming choice on my part. I put +5lbs over my 1x5 Intensity session on Sunday (10/17) and expected to do 3x3, when I should have gone 130-135lbs based on my 10/8 Volume session. Of course, that's where I ended up.
    - PC - A slower session, as we were doing a lot of BS'ing between sets. This was when I realized the intelligence in wearing long socks, as he has a cheaper bar with knurling that extends quite far towards the middle. So the blood slashes on the shins were entertaining to work with.
    - PS - Since this was a lighter workout (due to the weight limitations), I decided to give Snatches a try. They were fun, although I definitely need to get some coaching on them. The one thing that I noticed throughout was that I would initiate an arm pull as I accelerated the bar above the knee. I suspect that I wasn't rotating my elbows out sufficiently, but that's something that a coach would pick up on right away.

Snatches are indeed fun! One thing I was coached on was to imagine the bar brushing my shirt on the way up. It was a way to keep the bar path very vertical and to not let it drift forward in an arc. I obviously don't know if it applies to you, but if the bar is arcing forward, you could end up arm pulling to bring it back. It also makes you jump forward a bit, which might help diagnose.

The music description cracks me up. It has that "whatever noise kids these days listen to" kind of feel to it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    Snatches are indeed fun! One thing I was coached on was to imagine the bar brushing my shirt on the way up. It was a way to keep the bar path very vertical and to not let it drift forward in an arc. I obviously don't know if it applies to you, but if the bar is arcing forward, you could end up arm pulling to bring it back. It also makes you jump forward a bit, which might help diagnose.

The music description cracks me up. It has that "whatever noise kids these days listen to" kind of feel to it. :-)
    That might have been it, Hooper. I know that it wasn't that close to my chest, so the pulling makes sense. Perhaps it's something to work on over the winter.

Haha! That certainly wasn't my intent. We're both quite wide-ranging and eclectic in our listening (he didn't fall far from the tree in that regard). For his workouts, he really likes to listen to Drum & Bass, which I don't mind, but I don't listen to all that much. So most of it was new to me. But I'm typically more up-to-date on what's out there, introducing him to new stuff often. Pre-covid, I was going to the local music bars a few times a week to catch whoever was touring through town. So even on this trip, I introduced him to several "new to him" bands.

10/28/21 - Thursday

SQ - V
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    245x1
    275x5x4 @ 5'

BP - V
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    175x1
    195x5x3 @ 5'
    177.5x5x2

RDL
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    185x1
    205x1
    220x8x3 @ 5'

Music —Top Picks from SiriusXM Liquid Metal's Corridor of Covers, Type O Ween, 10/28/21 - Type O Negative vs Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath; Pallbearer vs Type O Negative, Love You To Death.

Notes — A good return from vacation break, when I had been wearing shorts for the past 10 days. Today's garage workout required a sweatshirt during warmups and between sets, even in the late afternoon/early evening.
    - SQ - I kept it fairly light today, as these are typically the lift that really kicks off the DOMS after a break.
    - BP - Good across the board.
    - RDL - Hook grip worked great (I had used straps on the last session of these, mostly to get used to them).

But these are the good back at it kind of DOMS

Quite true, Mr. Bingley.

I'll take it over the aches and pains of just sitting around all day every day.

10/30/21 - Saturday

SQ - L
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    255x5x2 @ 5'

OP - V
    45x5
    75x3
    105x1
    115x1
    130x5x4 @ 5'
    117.5x5
    +135x1

DL
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    300x1
    320x5 @ 8' - straps

Music — Top picks from my celebration of two members of the classic LA-based punk band The Germs being inducted separately into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this evening - Belinda Carlisle with The Go-Go's (who still gets heavy rotation in this house) and Pat Smear with the Foo Fighters (who does make it into the rotation, but perhaps not as much as The Go-Go's).
    — Belinda Carlisle - The Go-Go's, Lust to Love/This Town;
    — Pat Smear - 45 Grave, Wax; Foo Fighters, Bridge Burning.

Notes — The cool season is definitely here, with the outside temperature not even reaching 50F and the garage wasn't much warmer.
    - SQ - Light day, nothing to note. A fair bit of expected DOMS from Thursday's return to training, but nothing that hindered this workout.
    - OP - Volume day. Since it's been over a week since I had pressed, the first work set felt as horrible as l expected, making me wonder about the rest of the work sets. But once I got that one behind me, the rest went just fine. Transitioning from Press to Deadlift, I loaded 135 on the bar while it was at press height, then pressed a single; it stalled just above my head, but a bit of a shift of the bar back to make sure that it was over my shoulders and it locked out just fine.
    - DL - A solid set, with a nice steady tempo. I'm still squeezing the heck out of the bar during the work set, as I should, but there's something about these straps that give the confidence to just do a quick reset of position, lock everything, and push the earth. Sold!

That is one thing about straps. When you come back down, it doesn't feel like the bar is trying to jump out of your grip. Glad they're locking in for you now.

starting strength coach development program
    SQ - H/V
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    250x1
    280x5x3 + 280x5 + 280x5 @ 5'
    255x5x2

OP - I
    45x5
    75x3
    115x1 (oops, supposed to be 105x1)
    125x1
    140x1x5 @ 1'

BP - I
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    165x1
    190x1
    210x5 @ 5'

RDL
    45x5
    95x3
    135x1
    185x1
    205x1
    225x8x3 @ 5'

Music — Continuing with jamming to 2021 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees (at least the ones that I can work out to) — LL Cool J and Jay-Z —
    - LL Cool J - Rock the Bells f/ Eminem, Jingling Baby;
    - Jay-Z - Dirt Off Your Shoulder, Big Pimpin' f/ UGK;
    which got me to thinking about the great ?uestlove DJ sessions that he did on YouTube over the lockdown. A great way to pass the hours most evenings, listening to the stories and great tunes related to whatever his theme was that night.

Notes — A mishmash of a day, not standard HLM/modified TM (presses) due to scheduling issues over the past couple and upcoming couple of weeks. So the focus was on Intensity, with a sprinkling of volume.
    - SQ - Programmed x3 at 280 with backoffs at 255x5x2. By the end of the third set, the plates were still rattling at lockout, so I went for x4. That set went good, although #5 started to slow, but not enough to concern me. The last set cruised just fine, although a bit slower than the previous sets. But not too much.
    - OP - Bad plate math on the warmups (115 instead of 105), but all went well.
    - BP - These were shaky as hell. I was concerned about #5, but it locked out just fine.
    - RDL - hook grip for all, which went well. These sure can get to be cardio sets with the hips really getting gassed. I like them.

Page 14 of 97 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast