135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    300x1
    335x8
    335x4
    335x1,0,0,0

Music — Top Picks from SiriusXM's Liquid Metal Corridor of Covers, Metal Preview 2022, 1/6/22 - Oceans vs Radiohead, Creep; Fit for an Autopsy vs Nine Inch Nails, The Perfect Drug; Crowbar vs Gary Wright, Dream Weaver.

Notes — Oh man, I am beat. It has been a great week for snow. Almost too much, with highways throughout the region closed due to avalanches or blowing snow and the slopes being too sketchy to go in the backcountry, as Avalanche Warnings were issued in the surrounding mountains. Inbounds in the ski resorts were sketchy too, in favored places. Not to mention, the very frequent shoveling of the drive and walk. The next few days will settle things down, just in time for a great week ahead in the steeps.
    - SQ - 93% backoff, which was a wise call. The 305x5 went fine, but that fifth one was a slow grind. Another 5x2 would have been unlikely. Even #5 on the backoff sets were quite slow, but successful.
    - HDL - Clearly these are still new to me, as I kept performing full deadlifts in my warmups, even when I reminded myself that I needed to focus on Haltings. I don't think that's a bad thing, but something that I want to avoid in my work set. All grips felt fine, double overhand through 275, then hook at 300. With my fatigue, the intent going in to the workset was x8 mixed grip, with the straps on standby to finish out the set, if need be; the hips are more important than the grip. The first three started slowing quickly, the fourth was an straight-up shaking grind, and after a moment of setting up for the fifth when I realized that I should grab the straps; #5 was another straight-up shaking grind, then after that it either wouldn't break from the floor or get just 1/2" or so. Even that last attempt, when I had my wife count me down from 5 as soon as I started the pull; it just hung at the 1/2" spot no matter how hard I pressed the floor. I'm not worried, as I'm still trying to figure these out. It's a combination of being beat from my snow activities and perhaps taking the 10lb jump from the last HDL session on 12/22/21. The frequency is fine, as it would be my Heavy pull alternating with the Rack Pull during normal training, but perhaps starting too high at 325lbs on that day, then taking the 10lb jump. Not to mention not getting Intensity and Volume Squats during that time. It will be a fun season figuring these out, but I'm more than happy to take suggestions, too.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 01-08-2022 at 02:01 PM. Reason: words

11/13/22 - Thursday

RP @ 8'
    65x10x2
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    275x1
    305x1
    330x1 - hook
    365x5 - straps
    +
    370x5 - straps @ 1'

- Music — Top Picks from SiriusXM's 80s on 8, Rick Springfield's Working Class DJ, Welcome to the Troubador, 1/7/22 - Linda Ronstadt, Cry Like a Rainstorm, Howl Like the Wind; Elton John, Tiny Dancer (Live).

- Notes — It has been a couple of great weeks of powder riding; a warm front rolled in Tuesday night and it rained up to the highest elevations in the region and then it froze last night, so everything is now a horrible crust. I spent Tuesday in hip-deep powder having a blast, realizing that my 230lb frame is great for lifting, not so much for digging myself out of deep holes of my own making; I'm still a bit beat from that session. But instead of waiting until tomorrow to start a 2-day split, I'm spreading this out over three days, with the intent of having a day between this heavy pull and my heavy squats on Saturday. I'll be curious to see how that works out.
    - RP - Warmups were great, pulling overhand up to 305, switching to hook at 330, which felt solid, and then straps for the work set. When I started planning out my Rack Pulls and Halting Deads, I started conservatively and programmed +10lb jumps, so after 12/28's 360x5, today would be 370x5 (math, y'know). But then I had last week's Halting Deadlift failure at 330x8 after a long week of snowboarding. This week wasn't going to be any different with all-over fatigue from the snowboarding, so instead of the +10lb jump, I went +5lbs to 365x5 and stuck with that, even as the warmups felt great. The 365x5 went up very well. Too well. As soon as I had hung up the straps and belt, I did what any reasonable person SHOULD NOT do with their program and put another 5lbs on the bar, re-wrapped the belt and straps, and immediately pulled 370x5 about a minute after I finished my 365x5. Even the fifth rep of 370, after a couple of extra breaths, locked out nicely. So much so that I started thinking about getting greedy, as I wasn't going to follow up with any other lifts today. But that's how I'd get hurt. And that's not the point. So apparently I need to re-think my trepidation with these weights (380lbs is my PR single) and stick with +10lb jumps every other week for a bit.

It seems like more people are doing rack pulls these days. Good effort!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    It seems like more people are doing rack pulls these days. Good effort!
    Yep, it's good that they're getting more widespread attention.

I had started reading up on them last spring, but knew that I would wait until I was in my "maintenance phase" during this winter's snowboarding season. What attracted me was that they're supposedly not quite as stressful on the hips and back as doing full deadlifts and that's important as I spend several days a week abusing those muscles in the mountains.

This is only my second session of them. I'm curious to see how they work out over the next few months. Rip is adamant about alternating with Haltings, while a SSC that I talked to mentioned that they haven't observed much improvement for folks doing haltings compared to rack pulls every week. So it's all an experiment. I do know that I'll return to deadlifts once the snow season is over and I get back to normal 3x/week programming.

I never went skiing but a few of the guys I worked with were into it. They seemed to have given it up when they got to 60 or so. They should have trained in the off season I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    I never went skiing but a few of the guys I worked with were into it. They seemed to have given it up when they got to 60 or so. They should have trained in the off season I guess.
    That's a shame that they gave it up, Jerry. There are so many around here in the 70's & 80's that are still getting after it. Perhaps not as hard as they used to, but they still do. The other day I went on a guided backcountry trip where I expected to get the old guy, but that wasn't to be, as there were three others well above 50. We had just as much fun as the "kids."

1/14/22 - Friday

OP @ 5'
    45x5x2
    75x3
    105x1
    120x1
    137.5x5x3

BP @ 5'
    45x5x2
    95x3
    135x1
    170x1
    185x1
    202.5x5x3

Music — Top Picks from SiriusXM's Liquid Metal Corridor of Covers, Metal Preview 2022: Week II, 1/13/22 - Soulfly vs Helmet, In the Meantime; Behemoth vs David Bowie, Hello Space Boy; Devildriver vs Metallica, Holier Than Thou; Caliban vs Anthrax, Among The Living; Product of Hate vs Ozzy Osbourne, Perry Mason.

Notes — I sure am feeling the volume of yesterday's Rack Pull. Since I did those in isolation from the other lifts, this morning it was real easy to feel what got worked - hamstrings, glutes, and lats. The shoulders were a bit sore too, but I think that was from my poorly performed 305lb warmup rep, when I yanked the bar to get it moving instead of squeezing the lats and pushing the floor.
    - OP - all good. I was going in expecting to hit the first five, then do what I could to finish out the 15 total reps. But all 5x3's went well, even as the very last one was a bit of an off-groove grind.
    - BP - all good. Some minor off-groove reps, but all locked out just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    1/14/22 - Friday
    - BP - all good. Some minor off-groove reps, but all locked out just fine.
    I thought that I was the only one out of the groove lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    I thought that I was the only one out of the groove lately...
    Well, we couldn't leave you hanging out there all on your own, now could we Fred?

starting strength coach development program

Page 22 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast