starting strength gym
Page 37 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting to Live

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm curious, where'd you do the "trail work". Sounds like a lot of hard, but fun work.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    I'm curious, where'd you do the "trail work". Sounds like a lot of hard, but fun work.
    Browndog - it depends on the day and organization, but it can be anything from an urban park trail that needs some clearing and/or repair to a backcountry trail that takes a day or two to hike to that needs the same. Around here, we have half a dozen organizations that focus on different things, from single-use (mountain bike) trails to multi-use (hike/bike/equestrian) throughout the region.

This last crew was one of the backcountry trails that took a day to hike back into the Wilderness to get to. That's hard work enough, with a fully loaded pack and tools, which are all hand-powered, just like your grandpa would have done. The work is hard, and fun, just like you said. Several times we ran into a stretch where 4-6 trees of 12-16" diameter were "jackstrawed", meaning that one started a domino effect, taking down the rest, when they all lay in different directions on top of the others across the trail. It's fantastic puzzle work, figuring out not only which order to cut the trees out, but where to cut them, how to cut them (especially if there's a lot of tension in the log, which there usually is), and how to clear them safely (not let them roll downhill on top of hikers on the trail below). A situation like that typically takes about an hour or so to clear, then we continue hiking up to the next one.

No doubt that there are similar organizations in your neck of the woods. If you and yours are trail users, I recommend reaching out to them and giving them a hand once in a while. It will give you a new appreciation for the work that needs to be done to keep a trail open for general use.

Default End of Maintenance Season 2021-22 Summary

I had planned on this coming week being the end of my maintenance season, tapering towards a “mock meet” on Friday just like I did prior to the beginning of my maintenance season. That way I could compare how the off-and-on programming over the past six months had treated me. But then I realized this morning - “So What?” Overall, it's better than I just jump into my warm month programming, which I will do this coming Monday.

But for comparisons, here are the workouts for the end of the last training season (early-December 2021), mid-May (when I had originally planned on transitioning to warm month programming, but my schedule for the following months changed my mind), and recently:

SQ – 300x5x5 (12/6/21) → 285x5x3 (5/15/22) → 290x5x3 (6/28/22)
    BP – 202.5x5x5 (12/6/21) → 211x5x3 (5/15/22) → 210x5x2 + 210x4+1 (6/17/22)
    OP – 130x5x5 (12/8/21) → 133x5x3 (5/13/22) → 135x5x3 (6/30/22)
    DL – 345x5 (12/6/21) → RP 380x5 (5/15/22) → 390x5 (6/17/22)

And since I am not going to do my mock meet this coming Friday, I wanted to compare that last mock meet to my maintenance season peak singles and finally, my recent singles for those lifts:

SQ – 300/315/335 (12/17/21) → 320x5 + 300x5x2 (1/29/22) → 315x1x5 (7/1/22)
    BP – 212.5/225/235 ( 12/17/21) → 230x1x5 (3/1/22) → 225x1x5 (6/21/22)
    DL – 340/360/380 ( 12/17/21) → no comparison, but RP 390x5 (2/11/22 & 6/17/22)

I won't lie. Once I typed out those numbers, I had the thought to revert to my original plan and run that mock meet next Friday since my recent numbers are smack dab in the middle of the December “meet.” But the one thing that has had my lifts slipping backwards lately has been the lack of frequency. So the best thing to do is get moving forward with that frequency.

So, as an experiment in maintaining my strength, or at least minimizing losses, I'd have to say that this past six months has been a success, especially considering the inconsistency.

Hey Bill, hopefully you'll be able to keep getting stronger. Stay consistent.

Your program looks to me to be a success also. It might show that you can make progress on less work especially if you keep the frequency up.

Great work! Keep at it. Enjoy your holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeshua View Post
    Hey Bill, hopefully you'll be able to keep getting stronger. Stay consistent.
    Consistency has not been my hallmark for the past 7 months, so that's the goal for the remainder of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    Your program looks to me to be a success also. It might show that you can make progress on less work especially if you keep the frequency up.

Great work! Keep at it. Enjoy your holiday!
    Thanks Fred. It does seem to work well, something that I figured out during the previous 2021-21 winter season. This was just solid confirmation. Going forward I'll be working on a 4-Day Heavy/Light Split, which balances the frequency I need with the upper body lifts and the recovery that I need for the lower body. The HLM programming that I was doing last year just kept beating me up. I had already been leaning towards the split for the past month or two, then re-listening to Andy Baker's podcast on splits and an amazingly quick email response from him on a detail that I was wondering about has me convinced. It all starts tomorrow, holiday or not.

Enjoy the day with your friends and family!

7/4/22 - Monday

OP H @ 5'
    45x5x3
    75x3
    105x1
    120x1
    135x5x4

BP L @ 5'
    45x5x2
    95x3
    135x1
    170x1
    195x5x3

Music — Dropkick Murphys, The Warrior's Code; Against Me!, Thrash Unreal; Reel Big Fish, Pissed Off; Offspring, The Kids Aren't Alright; Social Distortion, Reach For The Sky.

Notes — First day of training again, programmed as a 4-Day Heavy/Light Upper/Lower Split, as laid out in BBRx, Example 24-20, pg 266. I'm also shifting to morning sessions so that we can do things the rest of the day, plus avoid the afternoon heat in the garage. And I picked the perfect day to do that, as the high today will be about 70F with rain.
    - OP - Same as last week, to help me adjust to the increased volume and frequency. The weight is manageable, but the first set was a strugglefest as my mind wandered on the first rep - "Wait a second, in the email, Andy mentioned the rep flow of this program as 20, then 12, then 5, but this is programmed as 3x5, so only 15. Why is it only 15, not 20?" Needless to say, form was all over the place, but it got done. Second set was better. As was the third. Between sets, I mulled over the concepts of the program and realized that there wasn't a good reason for me to not do 4x5, although I will follow up with Andy later and also understand that as these get heavy again later this year, sets across will become heavy + backoffs. All good.
    - BP - Light day. All good.

7/5/22 - Tuesday

SQ @ 5'
    45x10x3
    95x5 p
    135x3 p
    185x1 p
    225x1 p
    260x1
    290x5x4

Chins @ 5' — 5, 5, 4.

Music — Black Flag, Slip It In; Fugazi, Waiting Room; Dag Nasty, Values Here; 7 Seconds, Walk Together Rock Together; Dead Kennedys, Buzzbomb; MC5, Kick Out The Jams.

Notes —
    - SQ - Same as last Tuesday, but more volume, which seemed to be a reasonable baseline to start this 4-Day Split cycle. The grindy fourth & fifth reps of the first set confirmed that decision instead of jumping +5lbs, but that's a standard first set feeling, yet the second set was similar. But I must have been slow making the transition from my paused squat warmups to my worksets, because I found the full bounce off the bottom through the third set, all of which went up sans grind. As did the final set. All good.
    - Chins - Nothing of note here. Just getting back into the groove of doing them since I didn't have them worked into the maintenance programming, so it may be awhile before I see these progress past a 5, 5, 5.

7/7/22 - Thursday

BP H @ 5'
    45x10x3
    95x3 p
    135x1 p
    165x1 p
    185x1
    205x5x4

OP L @ 5'
    45x5x2
    75x3
    105x1
    125x5x3

Music — Ministry and Co-Conspirators vs ZZ Top, Sharp Dressed Man; The Mission UK, Butterfly On The Wing; Nine Inch Nails, Get Down, Make Love; Front 242, Im Rythmus Bleiben.

Notes — Rest In Peace, Bradford Freeman, the last surviving member of Easy Co. — “One day my grandson said to me, Grandpa were you a hero in the war? And I said to him 'No I'm not a hero, but I have served in a company full of them.'” ― Dick Winters
    - BP - Same weight as last Thursday (6/30, an unimpressive (205x4+1)x3); I'm checking to see if this is the floor of my season-long backward slide in this lift, and the spot from which to move forward now that I'll be more consistent. Rep #5 of each set may not have been flawless, but they all locked out and were safely re-racked. All good.
    - OP - Light Day, 93% of Monday's 135lbs and one less set. I've never followed heavy bench with this lift, so this first set sure felt a hell of a lot heavier than it objectively is, perhaps because I gave myself only 3 minutes after the last warmup to the first set instead of my normal 5 minutes. That was it, as I gave myself my standard 5' rest and the second set flew, smooth and in the groove, as expected at this intensity. As did the third set. All good.

starting strength coach development program
    7/8/22 - Friday

DL @ 8'
    65x5x3 pc's
    135x4
    185x2
    225x1
    265x1
    295x1 h
    320x5 s
    290x5 s

SQ L @ 5'
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    260x5x3

Music — Telekinetic Yeti, Rogue Planet (released today); Dark Angel vs Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell; Benedictum vs Black Sabbath, The Mob Rules; Killswitch Engage vs Dio, Holy Diver; Blind Guardian vs Dio, Don't Talk to Strangers.

Notes — Today would have been my Maintenance Season End Mock Meet. Overall, I'm glad that I'm putting an end to my first week of this 4-Day Heavy/Light Split program instead. I have more to gain from this. Plus, with the squat going second, this turned into the first 2-shirt workout of the year.
    - DL - Back to actually pulling heavy off the floor again, instead of alternating haltings and rack pulls. So this weight is a guess of one that's not too aggressive, nor too conservative. It was a good guess, too, as all 5 went fine, but not without effort. I didn't have a camera set up, so I don't have confirmation that the last rep of the 320x5 set was a bit soft at lockout, but that's something that I will focus on. For my backoff set, I had initially programmed 95% (305), but went conservative and dropped it to 94% (300) before the main workset. After the main workset, I went with a more conservative 91% (290) to get used to this pulling heavy off the floor again. The 300 probably would have been fine, as all 290x5 reps cruised to a solid lockout. All good.
    - SQ - Light day. On paper. Doing these after the deadlifts certainly didn't make these feel light, even though they were 90% of Tuesday's heavy day. All good.

Page 37 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast