starting strength gym
Page 49 of 97 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting to Live

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks Bill as I was just curious. When younger I do remember that I could do a 16" grip up close in weight to the regular bench. I did them for an extended period off and on for a year or two. 250+ for 5's IIRC. I don't know if I could even do those with 150 now...(giving my pitiful look as I write this)

Not even close to being pitiful, good sir.

Pitiful would likely be the crowd that Cheesepuff surveyed this past weekend at his 50th HS reunion.

No doubt that you are nowhere near that.

Thanks for that Bill but I'm pretty tired after squats and a 5 hour burn pile today. At least it was beautiful weather and I killed "only" three copperheads.

Sounds like a great day to close out with a beer or two. Or three.

That would be great except for the fact that I'm 30 months sober and drinking does not go well with my cardio issues.

But hey don't let me be the party pooper...remember Mr. B named me the designated driver...

9/27/22 - Tuesday

SQ H @ 5'
    45x10x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    275x1
    305x5x4

Bar Hangs

Music — UK Subs, Down On The Farm; Cathedral vs Black Sabbath, Wheels of Confusion; Moon Tooth vs Black Sabbath, Changes; Spirit Adrift vs Black Sabbath, Supernaut; Howling Giant vs Alice In Chains, Rooster.

Notes — Lots of texts and talks with family down in Florida. Looks like they'll be OK, based on the current forecast for Hurricane Ian. Yesterday's forecast was looking quite dire, so we're pleased with this eastward trajectory. They'll still have issues, but will be on the weak side of the storm as it passes Thursday. But not so with a dear friend whose parents and sister are in a mandatory evacuation zone right on the coast south of Tampa and has chosen to ride it out in the house. We shall see.
    - SQ -Even with the stretching all day at the gig, my left shoulder was supremely tight getting under the bar for warmups. But it worked itself out slowly with each passing set; it was just slow movements to get under and out from under the bar. For this cycle, I restarted with the same weight at last cycle, which started on 8/15/22. So squats were 8/16/22, and other than the intensity triples (325lbs on 8/23/22) and singles (345lbs on 8/30/22), then a 310x5x4 on 9/6/22. Other than that, this is the heaviest, with the most volume, since then, as I had a 315x5x3 programmed for when I was at SS OKC, but Phoebe had me drop 20lbs off my squats to focus on technique fixes. Because of the weight, they were a touch grindy on the last reps, but focus on the tips that Phoebe gave me really helped. I even considered stopping at three sets, as the last rep came to a stall on the way up. But that's bullshit thinking, so I ground out the fourth set just fine.
    - Bar Hangs - Normally, these would be chins and I know that I should just do them, but I really don't want to piss off the shoulder any more. I have been inconsistent with bar hangs, but after the issues I've been having, Chase firmly suggested that I get more consistent with them.

I get lazy about doing bar hangs too. Why? Beats me.

Edit: I forgot...best wishes and prayers for friends and family in Florida.
    Last edited by Fred J; 09-27-2022 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    That would be great except for the fact that I'm 30 months sober and drinking does not go well with my cardio issues.

But hey don't let me be the party pooper...remember Mr. B named me the designated driver...
    Ah yes, that's right. Sorry about that. Great work on that, BTW. Seriously.

Hopefully a cold beverage of your liking was had. That still sounds like a great lemonade day.

Edit: Yeah, no idea why I get lazy with the bar hangs. They sure feel good. But like many other things, once they slip out of mind, they're gone.

It's going to be an interesting few days in Florida and Georgia, that's for sure. It reminds me why we spent minimal time living down that way.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 09-27-2022 at 09:29 PM.

It was a very good day thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    9/29/22 - Thursday

CGBP H @ 5'
    45x5x3
    95x3
    135x1
    165x1
    192.5x5x4

OP L @ 5'
    45x5x2
    75x3
    105x1
    125x5x3

Music — Killing Joke, Requiem; The Stooges, Down On The Street; The Subways, Rock & Roll Queen; Adolescents, L.A. Girl; Anti-Nowhere League, So What; D.I., Richard Hung Himself; Rollins Band, Low Self Opinion.

Notes — Still some tightness in the left shoulder, making getting under the bar the first time for warmup empty-bar squats (3 sets) very slow. It slowly works out, with little pain.
    - CGBP - Some sharper twinges during the emtpy-bar and heavier CGBP warmups, but it worked out, too. Getting these out of the hooks were a bit tougher than my standard grip width, but once I realized that after the first set, I made sure to give it an extra push up until the elbows locked. All good.
    - OP - Oddly enough, some twinges here too, which hasn't typically happened the past few weeks. But I worked on keeping focus on the technique tips that I received at SS OKC. And for a light set, these didn't feel particularly light, but I didn't struggle to lockout any reps, so I guess that meets the definition. All good.

Page 49 of 97 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast