Page 64 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting to Live

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    That's a big workout!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    That's a big workout!
    It was, J. Too much had I planned on rolling right along with consistent training. But since I was going to be on a break, it was OK. More than anything, it was a good reminder that while I can do it, I don't necessarily need to.

Week of 6 March 2023

Overview — I was traveling again, another couple of weeks with my son and his new family, helping them get settled into a new life with the granddaughter. I knew that I wouldn't be consistent, nor did I plan to be. For the presses I was in my son's basement, where I was limited by the available weights and ceiling clearance. Luckily I had access to a nearby gym to get the heavy stuff done, but I also didn't want to spend too much time there as it wasn't my priority.

3/6/23 - Seated Press - 135x5x3

3/7/23 - Heavy Squats - 360x1x5 + 320x5x2

3/9/23 - Bench Press (Light Volume) - 160x5x5 (I did each of these on one breath, just because)

3/10/23 - Rack Pull - 405x5

Notes
    - Seated Press - First time doing these, which were necessary due to lack of ceiling clearance. Having to keep these strict made it a fair bit more difficult than the standard standing press movement.
    - Heavy Squats - First session in the gym, which was well appointed. Based on the looks I was getting, I suspect I broke the unspoken rules by turning around to face away from the mirror and lifting a hell of a lot more than the young guns in the racks next to me.
    - Bench Press - same as seated press, I was limited by the son's weight collection. So while he was doing work on his computer, I cranked out a bunch of single-breath sets. Afterwards, I set the rack up to show him how to do rack pulls and address some back issues that he's had.
    - Rack Pull - back at the gym, with a new crop of people trying to figure out what the old guy was doing. It was fun to pull this 405x5 while the twenty-somethings were pulling 225's.

I'm back home now, with a full schedule over the next few days. So I might not get much done in the rack, but that's the way it goes.

3/20/23 - Monday

OP H @ 5'
    45x5x3
    75x3
    105x1
    125x1
    140x5x3

BP L @ 3'
    45x5x2
    95x3
    135x2
    185x1
    205x5x3

Music — Arch Enemy vs Judas Priest, Breaking The Law; Arch Enemy vs Megadeth, Symphony Of Destruction; Heriot vs Machine Head, Ten Ton Hammer; Kittie vs Pink Floyd, Run Like Hell; Frayle vs Johnny Cash, Ring Of Fire (Live); Magg Dylan vs Alanis Morisette, You Oughta Know.

Notes
    - OP - Heavy sets across, a 94% reset from the last time I was able to do heavy sets across three weeks ago. It might be a bit too much of a reset, but considering that this is my maintenance season and I have more interruptions coming, it's fine. A fair bit wobbly throughout, evidence of my lack of frequency, but all good.
    - BP - Light sets across. I worked the warmups in during the OP work sets. Similar to the OP sets, wobbly but good. The third set cruised like I had been doing them all along.

3/21/23 - Tuesday

SQ H @ 5'
    45x10x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    265x1
    295x1
    330x5x3 PR

Music — CeDell Davis, She's Got The Devil In Her; Elton John, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting; Bolt Thrower, Remembrance.

Notes — This may, or may not, be the beginning of my warm month training. The mountains are still open for a few weeks and there's plenty of snow to play for another couple of months, but the way this winter has been, I've already made the mental break. I still need to look at some things and figure it out.
    - SQ - "Heavy" sets across. The quotations are because 325x5x2 was my last heavy squat workout, but those were my backoff sets after a 360x1x5 main workset two weeks ago. So the smart thing to do is just start working back up from those warmup sets. As expected, the first set was a brutal grind, enough that I entertained the thought of backing off for the next two sets. But I also know better. The second set was slightly better. And the third was another brutal grind, but it all got done. I just may not be able to walk tomorrow, based on how my adductors already feel. But the realization, just as I was about to post, that this was a 3x5 PR just may dull the pain.

Note 2 - The warmup row and warmup sets took too long. My bride decided to sit down and watch "Lost In Translation" so I was sidetracked often. Too many laughs and memories for us in that movie, as we were living in Tokyo when it was released and had a great time, along with a theater full of expatriates, laughing at all the truisms. It still holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    3/21/23 - Tuesday

SQ 330x5x3 PR
    A very nice Squat PR. Good work!

Thanks Fred. It was a surprise, as I have been very inconsistent lately (as expected, considering that it's maintenance season).

3/23/23 - Thursday

BP H @ 5'
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x5x3

OP L @ 3'
    45x5x2
    75x3
    105x1
    125x5x3

Music — Big Audio Dynamite, Rush; Big Audio Dynamite, E=MC²; The Cult, She Sells Sanctuary; The Cult, Love Removal Machine.

Notes
    - BP - Heavy sets across. Better than it should have been, considering that I last benched Heavy (220x5x3) on 3/2/23, three weeks ago, with only one session above 200lbs since (205x5x3 on Monday, 3/20/23). So by all accounts, I shouldn't have been able to press these out, but they were never in doubt. And they matched my BP 3x5 PR, set on 2/12/23. They will only get better once I get some consistency again.
    - OP - Light sets across. All good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    3/23/23 - Thursday

BP H @ 5'

225x5x3

- BP - Heavy sets across. Better than it should have been, considering that I last benched Heavy (220x5x3) on 3/2/23, three weeks ago, with only one session above 200lbs since (205x5x3 on Monday, 3/20/23). So by all accounts, I shouldn't have been able to press these out, but they were never in doubt. And they matched my BP 3x5 PR, set on 2/12/23. They will only get better once I get some consistency again.
    Sometimes less is more and probably also shows you have not approached your limit yet.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    Sometimes less is more and probably also shows you have not approached your limit yet.
    Exactly, Fred. While I wasn't pushing the intensity, I did get a couple of sessions in, so the groove wasn't completely rusty. I think that knowing where that groove is really helps, too.

Page 64 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast