410x5 s

SQ L @ 5'
    45x5x2
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    265x1
    295x5x3

Music — Maximum The Hormone, [F]; Children Of Bodom, Bodom After Midnight; In Flames, Moonshield; Municipal Waste, Headbanger Face Rip; Cattle Decapitation, We Eat Our Young.

Notes
    - RP - Heavy set. I tried running the whole warmup strictly double-overhand, but 320 started peeling out just a few inches off the rack, so a quick reset to hook got them done. The workset, strapped, went just fine, with another in the tank if I wanted to, although that one would have been an absolute grind. That made me think of this week's Weights and Plates Podcast, where Santana and Trent talk all things RPE; it's a good listen.
    - SQ - Light sets across. Typical light squats after the heavy pull, where they do not feel light. But I'd rather do them this way, since I can focus on the heavy lift of the day first with plenty of gas in the tank. All good.

End Of 2022-2023 Maintenance Season Summary

Looking at my schedule and my headspace, I've decided to transition to my warm month training program. This is the earliest that I've ended my winter maintenance season. Typically it's May (or later) when I end it, as I'm aggressively chasing spring conditions on my snowboard right now. But this entire snow season has been a wash. I started late, scratching out the remainder of the year's training plan in mid-October, long before the snow started to fall, and scheduling my Mock Fitness Test for mid-December. Then the snow started dumping in November. However, the great conditions piling up didn't distract me, as I was very focused on the lifting, wanting to break the 1,000lb Total mark.

Once the mock meet was done and that 1,055lb Total had been achieved, the holidays were upon us, a time when my bride and I typically avoid the slopes due to the crowds. Then a long, dry January followed, where snow conditions, while deep, weren't very good. Then February rolled around, with a quick, unplanned trip to go help my son and his wife welcome their first child into their life. That was a fantastic trip! A week back home, then another trip out to the new family, this time accompanied by my bride. We returned last week, and with no significant improvement in the snow conditions forecast in the coming weeks, I decided to make the transition. We may get a day or two on the mountain, but I'm not going to plan my lifting around that anymore this season.

So where I saw a fair bit of backwards slide during the 2021-2022 Maintenance Season which ran from December '22 through June '23, I kept pretty steady with the lifts and improved some.

SQ — 320x5x4 (11/22/22) → 330x5x3 (3/21/23)
    DL — 350x5 (11/25/22) → Rack Pull 410x5 (3/24/23) alternated with Halting Deadlifts 320x8 (3/3/23), programming that I will continue
    OP — 142.5x5x4 (11/20/22) → 140x5x3 (3/20/23)
    BP — 207.5x5x4 (11/24/22; Close Grip, as I was still rehabbing a shoulder injury from August) → 225x5x3 (3/23/23; regular grip, as the shoulder is fine)

Going forward, I will be resuming my 4-Day Heavy/Light Split programming as outlined in BBRx, which seemed to work for me pretty well last year. Just to recap, it's a three-week cycle that increases intensity while decreasing volume through that cycle, then starting the next three-week cycle adding the appropriate amount of weight to each lift. So something like this:

SQ - 5x4 (20 reps); +20lbs @ 4x3 (12 reps); +40lbs @ 5x1 (5 reps); repeat 3-week cycle +5lbs
    OP/BP - 5x4 (20 reps); +10lbs @ 4x3 (12 reps); +20lbs @ 5x1 (5 reps); repeat 3-week cycle +2.5lbs

Haltings/Rack Pulls will follow a standard linear progression, alternating the lifts for the heavy pull each week, +5lbs over the last x8/x5. I talked this program out with Chase when I was in OKC last fall, as I couldn't wrap my brain around how to make haltings/racks work in the 3-week cycle. He correctly identified that I was making it too hard, and just stick to alternating them independently of where I was in the 4-Day Split. Of course.

Next week starts the first cycle of the year, although I pretty much did it this week although with 3x5's. It wasn't until yesterday that I firmly decided to move forward with the transition, so next week's programming will be the same weights, but more volume as I move the three (SQ/OP/BP) to 4x5's. Consistency will be the plan for the next many months, but I will make sure that I run my mock meet mid-November to make sure that I'm ready for snow. Plus, I had a talk with the kids about making sure the next birth is not during snowboarding season. Priorities, you know.

3/27/23 - Monday

OP H @ 5'
    45x5x3
    75x3
    105x1
    125x1
    140x5x4

BP L @ 3'
    45x5x2
    95x3
    135x1
    185x1
    205x5x3

Music — X, Los Angeles; Go-Go's, Fading Fast; Go-Go's, This Town; Green Day, Basket Case; Surf Punks, My Beach; Fear, The Mouth Don't Stop.

Notes — Adding the volume back in on the heavy days with four sets across during the first week of these 3-week cycles.
    - OP - Heavy sets across, adding one set for the volume over the winter maintenance cycle. Smooth and steady, a good start to the warm month training. All good.
    - BP - Light sets across. All good.

3/28/23 - Tuesday

SQ H @ 5'
    45x10x3
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    285x1
    330x5x4

PC H @ 2'
    65x5x2
    105x3
    120x1
    135x3x5

Chins - 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

Music — Generation X vs Johnny Kidd & The Pirates, Shakin' All Over; No Doubt vs Talk Talk, It's My Life; The Clash vs Vince Taylor, Brand New Cadillac; Sex Pistols vs The Stooges, No Fun; Siouxsie & The Banshees vs Iggy Pop, The Passenger.

Notes — As I was doing my Clean warmups, I was really feeling it in my hips, much more than I should have from just the heavy squats. Then I remembered yesterday's HIIT session on the rower. I'll probably have to reschedule those HIIT sessions to be the day after the heavy Squats and Pulls.
    - SQ - Heavy sets across. A classic "the first set is a lie," just as I was mentioning to someone elsewhere on these forums. The second set wasn't much better. And while the first two reps of the third set were smooth as silk, the rest of it was rough. The fourth set was the best of them all, with the first three pretty smooth followed by two grinds. Overall, all good.
    - PC - Heavy triples across, supersetted with the chins. A manageable weight, as I was doing doubles and triples as warmups for my rack pulls and haltings all winter long. But not sets across.
    - Chins - First time in ages doing these, but I need to make sure that I do them, as I stopped doing them late August last year once I tweaked my left shoulder. That shoulder is doing just fine now, so I have no excuse. And then I did my first chinup. During the latter half of the eccentric phase, the bicep tendon gave me a talk, then repeated it during the second rep. It was forceful enough that I stopped there. After my next set of cleans, I tried the chins again. Same sensation, although not as intense, but I didn't want to try a third rep. After that, I decided to just stick to doubles and run it out. The sensation lessened with each set, which I expected, so there's that. I'll keep working them this way, supersetting between cleans, and just doing slowly increasing sets across instead of AMRAP.

3/30/23 - Thursday

BP H @ 5'
    45x5x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x5x4

OP L @ 3'
    45x5x2
    75x3
    105x1
    125x5x3

Music — Greyhound, Scorched; Circle Jerks, World Up My Ass; Bad Brains, Big Take Over; DEVO, Through Being Cool; Dag Nasty, What Now?; Minor Threat, Straight Edge.

Notes
    - BP - Heavy sets across. Overall, good. The very last rep of the last set started to stall a few inches from lockout, but I wasn't going to tolerate that. That makes for a proper 4x5 PR, although I'm not going to track those here this season. That is, unless it's a huge one for any of the lifts.
    - OP - Light sets across. All good.

nicely done!

Cheers, Mr B!

4/1/23 - Saturday

HDL H @ 8'
    65x5x3 pc
    135x4 pc
    185x2
    225x1
    285x1
    325x8

SQ L @ 5'
    45x10x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    265x1
    295x5x3

Music — Slayer vs Dr Know, Mr Freeze; Corrosion Of Conformity vs Queen, Son And Daughter; Hatebreed vs Crowbar, All I Had (I Gave); Immortal Suffering vs Acid Bath, Cheap Vodka; Buzzov*en vs E.L.O., Don't Bring Me Down.

Notes — This was supposed to be yesterday, but I got a short-notice call to cover a shift at the gig and I didn't have time to squeeze it in. So I'm trying to today before my regularly scheduled shift at the gig.
    - HDL - Heavy set. Other than cleans, all other warmups were full ROM DLs and the lower back was a smidge tight through them all. So after my 285x1 warmup, I started my SQ warmups up through 135x3 to loosen it some more, which marginally worked. Going into this workset, I fought the headspace that the back was creating. However, the workset went smooth and quick and the lower back didn't scream at me until I set down the very last rep. That'll do.
    - SQ - Light sets across. And I know that y'all are sick of reading about how these never feel light after the heavy pull. But it's the truth. The first rep didn't feel particularly heavy, but on way up on the fourth rep, my left lower lat spasmed enough that I stalled and started to lower the weight, but locked it out; the fifth rep didn't have that issue. Then it was perfect that between the first and second set, that Buzzov*en cover of ELO came on. The next two sets went fine, even though the back kept talking to me.

4/3/23 - Monday

OP H @ 5'
    45x5x3
    75x3
    105x1
    120x1
    135x1
    150x3x4

BP L @ 3'
    45x5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    205x5x3

Music — Them, Gloria; Rory Gallagher, A Million Miles Away; Stiff Little Fingers, Alternative Ulster; Sinead O'Connor, You Made Me The Thief Of Your Heart.

Notes
    - OP - Heavy triples across. Smooth and steady, confirming a suspicion I had last week about starting these too light. But I'll run this cycle out, and perhaps instead of +2.5lbs to start the next cycle, I'll go +5lbs. On the other hand, that odd little left shoulder tweak that reared its head during last week's chins talked to me a bit during these, so we'll see.
    - BP - Light sets across. All good.

starting strength coach development program
    4/4/23 - Tuesday

SQ H @ 5'
    45x10x3
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    225x1
    275x1
    315x1
    350x3x4

PC H @ 3'
    65x5x3
    105x3
    120x1
    137.5x3x5

Music — Heart, Crazy On You; X, Poor Girl; James Gang, Funk #49; Norman Greenbaum, Spirit In The Sky; The Runaways, Cherry Bomb; George Harrison, My Sweet Lord; Peaches & Herb, Shake Your Groove Thing; Cameo, Funk Funk. All from the newly released Guardians Of The Galaxy Mixtape, Vol 3.

Notes
    - SQ - Heavy triples across. I fully expected a "first set is a lie" session, but that set wasn't. Nor were the rest. Smooth, for the most part, but heavy enough that the occasional wonder about a third rep creeped in. All good.
    - PC - Heavy triples across (standard programming). All good.

ETA: This Youtube video popped up just as I was finishing this entry. It falls in line with the Mixtape linked above, but might take you further down memory lane than you might like: Most Popular Song Each Month Since January 1980.
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 04-04-2023 at 01:42 PM.

Page 65 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast