starting strength gym
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My first intermediate log (May 24, 2021-?)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Tuesday 6/1/2021

Deadlift 355x5
    Squat 245x5x5
    Chins: 3 singles, 60 seconds rest between
    Pulldowns 150x12x3

Backing off weight on the deadlift and the volume squats made things a bit more manageable. Still felt like shit doing those squats though. Maybe it's just because volume squatting is the heaviest conditioning event I have going on, so it's always pushing the edge of my conditioning level, and everything else is manageable by comparison. Added in some work on chins today afterward. The backoff pulldowns were probably too heavy, Friday I'll do this again with 135 instead. Got a really nasty headache after the third set, felt like my skull was going to pop.

Thursday 6/3/2021

Press 142.5x5
    Bench 197.5x5x5

Last rep of the press went up a little slow. Probably was an only one rep in reserve situation. Probably not a big deal for an intensity weight, especially one that I bombed out of 2 weeks ago. Improvement has clearly been made. I'll be keeping an eye on it, I may need to tweak the weight on the volume work up a little bit for the press and shrink that offset. I am thinking a bit of a bigger offset is gonna be needed for the squat volume. I'll make that final determination tomorrow after the intensity set. Bench felt heavy but no real slowdown on reps throughout. The intensity set this week felt so good that this is probably working out just right with the volume offset and has a lot of room to improve.

Friday 6/4/2021

Squat 275x5
    Power Clean 130x3x5
    Chins: 3 singles with 60 seconds between
    Pulldowns 135x12x3

God, that squat set felt terrible. I feel like I'm in some kind of recovery hole here with these. Performance seems to have dropped from NLP levels just a few weeks ago. That would be natural for the 5x5, that should of course need a lighter weight than a 3x5. But I can't even do a decent intensity 1x5 at weights I could do on the LP for 3x5 without form going straight to hell. Maybe this is just a case of form feeling like it's breaking down while I do them but it's actually fine. I'll have to get a video of my next intensity set and find out.

The rest of the workout indicates something wrong though, I think. My mood went straight to hell after those squats, I became really depressed and irritable for long after the workout was even finished. The power cleans went okay I guess, none of the reps seemed to go up with any hitch. I seem to get fuzzy vision at the top of them though when they're heavier. Chins/pulldowns saw another escalating headache. It began with the chin singles, and then after my second set it hit me fucking HARD. I don't know what's causing this, maybe adding them on to these lower body days is creating too much overall stress for the two workouts that are already the highest stress of my week.

After some deliberation, I've decided a programming change for the squat/pull days is in order. Ths program laid out in the book actually has the intensity squat on tuesday with the volume squat on friday. I think this is something to try. This will give me three days to recover from the volume squat and do the intensity squat. Right now I'm only getting two. I'll repeat the friday intensity set this coming tuesday, and I will also try a 15% offset for the volume work friday. I'm hoping this will finally get the ball rolling smoothly with these squats. Another change I am considering is adding the chin up work to the pressing days instead of the squat/pull days. But first I want to get the squat right.

Monday 6/7/2021

Weigh-In: 288.4 pounds

Bench 225x5
    Press 130x5x5

Bench felt like I might've had one or two more in me, but it was definitely tough. The presses started to get a little slower toward the end but no real grinds. Definitely need to keep an eye on that intensity press, if it gets stuck but the volume presses continue apace, I probably need to tighten up the offset. Legs are feeling pretty good, hopefully I'll be set to squat tomorrow without any problems.

Tuesday 6/8/2021

Squat 275x5
    Power Clean 130z3z5
    Chins: 3 singles with 60 minutes rest, failed a fourth
    Pulldowns 140x12x3

Got a video of that squat set today, been looking it over. Going to post it on the technique forum in a bit. Power cleans were fine, mostly. Landed a little forward on one rep toward the end. Went for a fourth single on the chins today, but the chin just made it up to the bar, not over. I don't think these are helping much and are not at a point where they are really trainable. I'm going to cut these out for now and focus on pushing up the pulldowns and running them out. Once I get up to a bigger weight on them I'll take a crack at real chins again. Chins are just really fucking hard to get started doing when your arms are long as fuck and you weigh over 290 pounds.

Thursday 6/10/2021

Press 145x5x1
    Bench 200x5x5

All good. Hard work for sure on both lifts, but not a nasty grind at any point. Got stuck with a rack with one of those stupid mismarked bars for my press, some asshole gave me shit because I went to look for a properly marked bar. I've seen this guy before, some dumb airhead in yoga pants was complaining to him once because my girlfriend and I rest between squat sets. Fuck that guy. I'd have said something, but my voice is fucking fried today. Too much dry, conditioned air made me susceptible to some kinda respiratory bug. Not really fucking with lungs or breathing, but the throat and the nasal passages are inflamed. Still got through the workout though. Felt that congestion hard in my bench sets. I also tried a different method for one of my sets, using the "hold a breath through the whole set" method. Normally I exhale when the weight hits the top and inhale before I lower it again. Felt a little light headed toward the end, think I'll stick with my normal breathing technique.

Friday 6/11/2021

Deadlift 360x5
    Pulldowns 142.5x12, 145x12x2

I made the executive decision not to squat today. As the warm up sets progressed I was getting escalating pain in my left leg, in areas of the thigh and especially in the knee joint. I don't know what the hell is going on, but I wasn't about to risk an injury. Escalating pain with every warm up set tells me today's workout just isn't gonna happen. Did pulldowns after, but I misjudged one of the add-on weights for the stack, it was actually a 2.5. I used Santana's pinning a plate to the stack method to make up for it, worked like a charm thankfully.

Deadlift was pretty hard, I need to get a video of these since I feel like maybe the form is breaking down a bit, hard to focus on keeping the back tight with the weight being heavy.

Not sure what I'm gonna do about the return of my knee pain. It's weird that it's come back now. I'm going to look back and see if all these squat troubles coincide with me losing my job. Maybe the legs rely on more use to keep blood circulating. I'm gonna try and walk around more over the weekend, maybe 3 light squat sets tomorrow in my basement, or even in a quick gym trip. I dug up the orthotic I used to wear in my left shoe, I'm gonna try that. I hope I don't have to use knee sleeves again. The ones I got were thick and felt like a crutch. Sadly that's the only kind I could get that fit my legs.
    Last edited by CommanderFun; 06-11-2021 at 09:54 PM.

Monday 6/14/2021

Weigh-in: 287.4 pounds

Bench 227.5x5
    Press 132.5x5x5
    Pulldowns 150x12x3

Both the main lifts today were doozies. Had to really push out that bench set, though I don't know if I'd call it a true grind just yet. Press was also very stressful. No big slowdown, but definitely tough. Something in my left deltoid actually felt like it was "burning" strangely enough, especially toward the final set. But I still got through it. Moving pulldowns to these upper body days seems to have been a smart move. Didn't get the nasty fucking headache this time around. Not sure if I'll add anything in on the other two days for accessory work. Probably not at the moment. Need to get the main lifts on those days sorted out first. Been a while since I squatted for substantial volume at this point. I really hope to manage it this week. Jury's also still out on if the power clean is helping push up my deadlift any.

Woke up with knee pain today. In my good knee no less. Something's aggravated on the medial side. I hope it doesn't fuck with me tomorrow.

starting strength coach development program
    Tuesday 6/15/2021

Squat 275x5
    Power Clean 135x3x5

Squat went well. I don't know why, but the lighter warm ups feel like shit. I get weird pains in my quads. Once I get out of lighter weights though, it's fine. Put the wrists into a little bit of extension today to try and keep the flexion from happening. Seems to have worked. The work set had the right hand flexing over though, had to keep willing it back into that extended position. Power cleans felt great, the best sets I've had so far. Now that I've got a lot more practice with it I can do it without deliberately thinking about it, which helps make it all come out smooth and fast.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast