starting strength gym
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: My first intermediate log (May 24, 2021-?)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wednesday 7/28/2021

Power Clean 135x3, 145x3, 155x3

Kept it nice and light today, but I still wanted to try for a PR, and I got it. Feeling terrible after last night. Discovered a wasp infestation in my bedroom, had to seal the place off until the exterminator came by today. So I was couch sleeping and quite miserable in the downstairs heat. I'm hoping to make up for the sleep loss tonight.

Thursday 7/29/2021

Press 162.5x3, x2 (fail)
    Bench 210x5x5
    Pulldowns 182.5x8x4

I really should not have stuck to triples for this week on my press. I tried like hell to get that last rep for at least 5 seconds but it was beginning to sink back down. I think this next week I will deload both types of presses, even though bench hasn't hit a failure it is still tied together with the press and it feels like performance is a little behind where it's been. Pulldowns were ok.

Friday 7/30/2021

Deadlift 395x5
    Box Squat 245x5x3

I'm not gonna assign an RPE to it, but that 5th deadlift rep was definitely the last one I had in me for that set. It took a while to go up and I was desperately dragging the thing up my legs. No hitching, but reps 4 and 5 definitely did not have clean technique. The box squats were also extremely taxing. Set 1 was ok, but the next two were just brutal. I think I might just make all of next week a light week for everything, including trying some light regular squatting instead of the box squats. I think they have worn out their trainability with this particular programming.

Monday 8/2/2021

Bench 225x3
    Press 125x5x3
    Pulldowns 185x8x4

Another forgotten weigh in. This day starts my "light week" to hopefully get back to 100% and resume things normally next week. I'm dropping volume and intensity a bit for all my workouts, but no more than 10% off the intensity. Everything still felt fairly heavy. Pulldowns are not included in this, as they are low stress accessory work. If this has a beneficial effect or not, I won't really know until next week. But either way even if it turns out to be a bad idea it's still useful info for the future.

Tuesday 8/2/2021

Weigh-In: 288.8 pounds

Squat 205x5
    Power Cleans 145x3, 155x3, 165x3

First time squatting without a box in a while, went well. I think box squatting got me in the habit of putting more hips into the movement and establish a good footing for me. It seems a bit narrow just looking at it but I feel perfect this way. Since this is a lighter week, I did my power cleans instead of volume deadlifting. For some reason I'm really liking them as ascending sets. It's probably addressing something psychological. 165 was yet another power clean PR, though they were very ugly reps. Still caught them at the top, however. I thought maybe I had discovered the magic bullet to get my power clean closer to my deadlift, but it's looking like it was only good for a bit of extra weight.

Thursday 8/5/2021

Press 145x3
    Bench 190x5x3
    Pulldowns 187.5x8x4

Nothing to really report. Tried spacing out my grip a little bit to allow my shoulders a bit more room in the press. We'll see how it works with heavy loads next week.
    Last edited by CommanderFun; 08-05-2021 at 08:16 PM.

Friday 8/6/2021

Deadlift 355x3
    Squat 225x5

Conclusion of light week. Been feeling pretty good this week. Libido has perked back up, didn't even realize it had dropped off so much. I think I will do a repeat of last week with my bench next week. Press will be 3 doubles with last week's failed triple weight, with an accompanying volume reset. Squats will be trained like a novice lift at 3x5. Deadlifts will be cycled down to a triple.

Monday 8/9/2021

Weigh-in: 288.6 pounds

Bench 242.5x3x2
    Press 135x5x5
    Pulldowns 190x8x4

I was a little apprehensive doing the bench without a spotter today, even though it was a repeat. Went great though, felt really strong. Presses got pretty grueling toward the end though. I really need to pick a grip width and settle on it. Ever since I got it in my head to try it a tiny bit wider to allow my shoulders to spread out I'm still on the fence. Pulldowns got a little harder toward the end, the 5x5 transition is probably coming soon, and when it does I might start bumping up my rest times as well.

Tuesday 8/10/2021

Squat 245x5x3
    Power Clean 155x3x2, 155x2 (fail)
    Deadlift 315x5

Squat felt really good. Took my 5 minutes to rest between the sets and got it all done just fine. I definitely think the box squatting break not only helped my knee pain alleviate, it's helped my technique. I am squatting a lot more from the hips now. Don't know if I will be able to crank these all the way up to 300x5x3, but I'd love to if I can.

Power cleans were hard at first, then suddenly in the third set I just lost the ability to adequately explode out of the jumping position entirely. I was debating bringing these back as the volume pull and maybe I could bring them up, but the improvements I've made prior were probably due to the ascending sets setup I was using. Sets across seems to poop out, even after a good rest. I tried a fourth set, and it just wouldn't rack at all for any reps. So I just did a deadlift set for a little more pulling stress. I'll probably stick to the light deadlifts and not really train the clean aggressively. I am just not explosive enough to make these benefit the deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    Thursday 8/12/2021

Press 162.5x2x3
    Bench 210x5x5
    Pulldowns 192.5x8x4

Got the doubles done. Last set was a slow as fuck ending. Singles next week at 165. Nothing else of note.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast